Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Exclamation TDLFAN's Xmas photos/report from HKDL

Yours truly landed at HKDL on December 21st and had a blast. Not only because I love this little park, but because at the moment, it's the nicest looking of the parks, even better than TDL at times.
    Their Xmas offerings are minimal, but what is there is fun to see. The Xmas tree, with a musical theme to it, it's lovely and sparkles in strobe lights at night. The Xmas merchandise is cute. The Lighting ceremony was a lot of fun to watch, and featured something I have never seen done at any other DL park.. when the big moment comes, the regular lighting on the buildings on Main Street join in the show with a syncronized light dance, and not just all lights going on and off, but every building doing it's own separate thing! Think Dancing Osborne Light on a much smaller scale... yet very effective way to enhance the show. Then the snowy surprise.. When the lights come on... there is snow coming down. The *gasp* from the unsuspecting guests was worth the price of admission. KUDOS to HKDL.

Of course... I must also offer some critique. It would have been nice to have garlands over Main Street like the ones at the MK, TDL, and DL. There were a lots of poinsettas all over the gardens, more than at WDW's MK right now... but having seen how nice the Halloween decor was at this park, the Xmas decor was a bit flat. Still, what was done was cute enough but needed more.

The park still looks great in most areas and the Cms were very friendly. Only Space Mountain shows terrible signs of deterioration, but they are currently working on that.

One petpeeve... this particular day, my value AP was blocked off from use. I had to buy a 1-day pass to enjoy the park... Yet, the park was very uncrowded. What gives? The longest I waited was 5 mins to ride Jungle Cruise, which I did at night and loved it! The lighting on the ride is fab! Ride at night if you will. But still, why block off APers from the park when the crowds are non-existant???

Speaking of lighting, this park has got to have the best night time lighting of any of the parks. Everywhere you go, there is some interesting use of lighting to enhance the experience. Only TDS compares to this effort and HKDL designers did a great job here. KUDOS. The recurrent Light show on the castle is also worth sitting for to watch. I love what the strobes on the castle are capable of doing... like the lighting-style stroke it paints every so often... KUDOS!

Also, the lush surroundings make this park look mature and full in most areas. Apparently, the warm weather dose help with this aspect of the park. Only the immediate area around the Castle looks a bit bare, but All in all, the park just looks wonderful, especially their Adventureland area and sections around the hub and main entrance, and the promenade leading from both the hotels and the MTR station.

The Hotels also get into the act with decor for Xmas. HKDL Hotel features a lovely 25 ft. tree and ginger village. Check it out.

All in all... HKDL continues to deliver against the odds.. Not sure how attendance will do in the next few years and this park deserves allof the guests and more, but still lacks severely in attractions. I just hope they continue to treat it and maintain it with the same love and attention I have seen so far. If only they had an electrical parade at night, the park would feel one step closer from being realized. A seasonal Xmas parade would not hurt either at this time of the year.

Here are the photos from my afternoon visit to the resort. Hope you enjoy them!

http://albums.photo.epson.com/
    j/AlbumIndex?u=4334673&a=32406226&f=

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: TDLFAN's Xmas photos/report from HKDL

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    The *gasp* from the unsuspecting guests was worth the price of admission. KUDOS to HKDL.
    This is also what I loved about the park. Not just at Christmas, the looks and sounds of pure joy in reaction to things that Annual Passholders in America and other countries simply become blase about after a while.

Thanks for the pics, TDLFAN. All look great. Hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas and holiday season.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

Very cool report and pictures!

I have to put his on my short list of places to go (when I actually GO somewhere).
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

• Minion

ORWEN: What a nice Christmas present you just gave us all, TDLFAN, duckling!! Thank you so much!! There's going to be a Krispy Kreme donut in this for you, you know!

ORDDU: I'm equally grateful, TDLFAN. Your photos made me feel as though I was really there. By the way, someone else here at MiceChat had also mentioned that the paint on Space Mountain was peeling. I wonder why that is? The attraction hasn't even been around long enough to require a new paint job so soon.

ORWEN: Don't they have some sort of coating over there that can protect the paint as well as they do for all the other Disney parks around the world? Or is Hong Kong's heavy smog the real reason paint starts peeling off so fast in that part of the world?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    someone else here at MiceChat had also mentioned that the paint on Space Mountain was peeling. I wonder why that is?
    It could be various reasons... Typhoon/rainy season causing the peeling, or maybe the excessive humidity of the region, or could be bad quality paint or craftmanship... I personally would like to know as well... The irony is that TDL's Space Mt. does look just about the same as well at the present time, but a major refuirbishing is going one on that one Mountain. Could it be salty air (proximity to the ocean) causing the erotion? Then again in TDL, most buildings look freshly painted so who knows...

• I need my Disney fix NOW!

Excellent pics! Loved the night shots in particular! Looks like you had a great time there!

Agree with you on the Christmas decor on the park. It'll be nicer if they had a bit more decor. Well, there's always next year...
    Last edited by SleeplessInSG; 12-25-2006 at 09:28 PM.
    Disneyland - Apr 1998
    Walt Disney World - Dec 2001
    TDR - Jun 1996, Apr 2000, Apr 2002, May 2008, Jun 2009
    HKDL - Dec 2005, Dec 2006

Great pics that park looks amazing very similar to Disneyland yet more opulent. The hotels are amazing. What I found amazing was that most of the signs have the large font in english and then smaller in Chinese. Do the CMs speak in english? Also no lines whatsoever. Looks like it was pretty empty. I was at Disneyland on the 22 and it was VERY full most lines were 40 minutes plus.

• Minion

ORDDU: Oh--and before I forget to ask--was that Prince Phillip posing alone in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle?! If not, he certainly was gorgeous enough to be mistaken for him!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfnatc View Post
    Do the CMs speak in english?
    Yes, and they are bilingual as they speak cantonese as well. Hong Kong ws a British territory for decades, so many people in the region speak english just fine.

ORDDU, what prince Phillip? The one with the bald spot? That's ME!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Yes, and they are bilingual as they speak cantonese as well. Hong Kong ws a British territory for decades, so many people in the region speak english just fine.
    That is great. Maybe someday when I get the money and time I would love to take a trip to visit this park and the others as well.

Another great report, TDLFAN!

• Watch Your Language

I went there on 18th, 19th, 22th December, 25th December. it was much crowded on 18th, 19th, and 22th december. Less people on Christmas Day though.

let me check on HKDL this coming weekend.

My multimedia presentation (approx 15-20mins) on Xmas in HKDL and Hong Kong SAR is coming soon!!! (and you can see the crowds in my multimedia presentation...)
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 12-27-2006 at 05:59 PM.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Say what you will about budget cuts, it's a pretty park and makes me think a lot about what is now Yesterland.

Only shame is that the outside of the HKDL hotel looks more like Primm Valley instead of the Grand Floridian it meant to evoke.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Only shame is that the outside of the HKDL hotel looks more like Primm Valley instead of the Grand Floridian it meant to evoke.
    I believe WDW's Grand FL is the most over rated hotel at WDW, and here at HKDLR, this HKDLH is also inthe same league. I much prefer the whimsical retro feel of the Hollywood Hotel, where I chose to stay over the HKDLH and didn't regret it. I don't care much for the phoneyness of both the Grand FL and HKDLH.. Opulent yet, forced. Beautiful yet unfun. YET! I prefer the HKDLH over the Grand FL simply because you can't beat the view towards the Sea next to the HKDL Resort. Beats the Seven Seas Lagoon view by a thousand leagues.

Isn't the Hollywood Hotel hundreds of dollars cheaper per night as well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast