Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Shark Fin Soup at HK

Disney - which claims to be environmentally friendly - is "making a mistake of the highest order'' in serving shark fin soup to high-paying guests at wedding banquets, warned leading environmentalist Brian Darvell.

The comments of the Hong Kong University professor were echoed by green groups who claim the theme park will be contributing to an environmental disaster.
    http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/s.../GE23Aa01.html

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Just heard about this today on Air America Radio - Morning Sedition. Apparently Greenpeace has asked that HKDL remove Shark fin soup from the menu.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• e komo mai

• Hello there

Blog Entries
    I actually walked out of a resturaunt once in China town because they served Sharkfin osoup. They usually only use the fin and throw the shark back in the water to die. I am not an animal rights activist or anything, but I have to draw the line with some cruel and totally unnecessary treatment of animals
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• e komo mai

Everybody download a Seafood Watch Card!

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess
    I actually walked out of a resturaunt once in China town because they served Sharkfin osoup. They usually only use the fin and throw the shark back in the water to die. I am not an animal rights activist or anything, but I have to draw the line with some cruel and totally unnecessary treatment of animals
    My thoughts exactly. That has always been my biggest issue with shark-finning. Completely unnessecary of them to mutilate an animal, then leave it to "live" like that. And that's not even considering the fact that shark finning is not a sustainable market in its current practice.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    This, to me, is the most disgusting part of the article:
    However, the practice is not illegal here, largely because eating shark fin soup carries cultural significance: it is seen as luxurious and a display of affluence.
    Just even the thought of that makes me cringe. Some people are more concerned about their "image" than that of the world around them? To me, people like that are the most pathetic on the planet. They shouldn't even be served table scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    Completely unnessecary of them to mutilate an animal, then leave it to "live" like that.
    They don't even live past about 2 weeks, since they starve to death, because they can't swim after their prey without the use of their dorsal fin, which has been sliced off with a big knife in this case.

Amazing the hypocrisy Disney shows. They preach the environment and such causes when it's convenient like at DAK, but then sell out when it's an issue of money or 'offending local sensibilities."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Amazing the hypocrisy Disney shows. They preach the environment and such causes when it's convenient like at DAK, but then sell out when it's an issue of money or 'offending local sensibilities."
    A person could say the same thing about Americans and burgers, or chickens or whatever...

Who are we to judge someone's culture?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Maybe we should ask the Feds that question, since the current administration does just that all of the time.

• Defeats the Huns

i love Shark Fin soup... sorry. I'm Chinese. don't kill me.

Perhaps Disney should offer the "chicken" version -- in which the "shark fin" in the soup is an imitation. Although the Chinese can taste the "fake" immediately... but at least they're not advocating the killing of sharks yet still offering something that is rather authentic and important to the chinese culture..
    I dunno... either way..

• I Hug My Tapirs

But see, it's not the soup itself that bothers me. I'm a meat-eater, I love my meat. However, I think that they need to first outlaw the practice of cutting off the fins and throwing them back. If you're going to catch them, you need to actually kill them at the time you catch them, and preferrably make use of the rest of the animal. Also, they need to severely limit the number of animals taken, as a conservation measure. What's going to happen down the line when they've killed all the sharks and there's none left to make this highly-sought after soup? To me, that just seems like common sense, not to overhunt a prey species. If not for ethical or moral reasons, then simply for practical reasons.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    If you're going to catch them, you need to actually kill them at the time you catch them, and preferrably make use of the rest of the animal.
    I totally agree. I'd have no problem with the soup, as long as the rest of the animal is used, even if for scientific purposes. To me, it's a waste of life, just because of someone's "tastes". It's why I won't buy fur products from uneaten animals. I just don't need the "vanity".

As for "condemning a culture", I'm not condemning their culture, but some peoples' choices. I don't care what culture they are - I just think it's horrible to purposely waste a life just for a feeling of "status". I feel the same way about people who hunt for sport, right here in America. Eat it, and I think that's great. Just kill it to skin it or stuff it and mount it to show off to people, and I think that's really sad and pathetic. I'm totally not impressed.

I think Disney could offer a very nice high-"status" dinner without having to resort to shark fin soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    A person could say the same thing about Americans and burgers, or chickens or whatever...

I am not speaking for anyone but myself. Although as a Disney stockholder, I'd like to believe 'we' as a group have some say.

And you're absolutely right about Americans and what we eat. Although we don't usually chop the legs off chickens and toss em back in the fields or cut out half the entrails of a cow and then let it out of the slaughter house.

A lot of very bad things have been excused under the excuse that they're part of a certain groups 'culture' ... if something is wrong, it's wrong whether or not it hurts business or not. Disney has the right to say 'we won't serve this item' ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast