• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

From Florida to Hong Kong: HKDL's new VP of marketing

Disney announces that Jill Estorino will take up the position of senior vice president of marketing, finally closing an important gap in the senior management level for Hong Kong Disneyland.

http://www.hkdlsource.com/news/viewstory?story=93
    Last edited by Loomis; 01-13-2007 at 01:34 PM.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Re: From Florida to Hong Kong: HKDL's new VP of marketing

Just what this park needs ... another Florida castoff.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

great, now Hong kongs screwed..

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

HK Disney was screwed when they opened the gates with very little to do. They need to market the park right, which to this point has not been the case.

I feel HK is going to get the love it needs over the next four years with rumours of some great new attractions on the way.

I blame Eisner for the rather lame park during the planning stages. Who bets that allot of things, more than most parks, where cut during the planning stages.

I have fait that new CEO Iger will help this park get into shape. After all Iger is responsible for getting Walt Disney Studios in Paris some love and that parks future is bright for the next couple of years after it was criminally abanonded after it opened in 2002.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Well, just in response to some of the people who felt Hong Kong was only being saddled with another "Florida castoff..."

Disney officially announces the appointment of Jill Estorino, the new Senior Vice President of Marketing at Hong Kong Disneyland - something we have know for a while now - as well as the news that Hong Kong native Maple Lee will join the team as Vice President, Marketing.

http://www.hkdlsource.com/news/viewstory?story=110
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    Well, just in response to some of the people who felt Hong Kong was only being saddled with another "Florida castoff..."

Disney officially announces the appointment of Jill Estorino, the new Senior Vice President of Marketing at Hong Kong Disneyland - something we have know for a while now - as well as the news that Hong Kong native Maple Lee will join the team as Vice President, Marketing.

http://www.hkdlsource.com/news/viewstory?story=110
    frankly it makes absolutely no difference who HKDL hires. Maple will come in, try for a few months and then either get so disillusioned she'll leave, or stay and do the minimal amount of work required to get through the day.

I saw this happen over and over the time I was there.

The company as a whole has fundamentally misunderstood its two main consumer bases - the HK locals and the mainland visitors.

When they opened they were too arrogant to see that the Disney brand was simply not understood or appreciated in China. They also drastically underestimated the power and impact the negative media publicity would have and proceeded t treat the local HK press like garbage.

Even at their first anniversary they had not learnt their lesson and left the press waiting in the rain RIGHT NEXT DOOR to a sheltered area. And why? Because the CE wanted to be interviewed outside. He was safely tucked away inside waiting for the rain to stop. Obviously this made for great copy the next day, but not the type HKDL wanted.

If you asked Hong Kong locals what they thought of the park - they invariably said: "well I read in (insert name of CHINESE language paper". But did the guys in Burbank give a damn about the local papers? Of course not - they only cared about the english language press because that was all they could understand.

Nothing wrong with the English language press - I work for one myself. But if you want to reach the normal local hong kong person, you need to reach the chinese press.

The hordes of crowds they needed and expected simply did not materialise - except at Chinese New Year, and let's not go there!

Then completely and totally LIED about their first year attendance. With a target of 5.6 million, they said they had 'well over 5 million'. Then announced they had 5.2 million which included all the rehearsal day tickets and the freebies they were frantically giving away when it was obvious they were not going to reach the target.

If Disney was forced to admit the number of real upfront genuine paid for tickets AFTER opening - the number would be substantially lower. My guess - 4-4.5 million.

I know that numbers shouldn't mean anything. It's the 'magical experience' after all. Unless you are the Hong Kong taxpayers who were conned into paying for the park, by a man who NOBODY elected and is still hiding behind his political pals ie mike rowse.

I'm glad you had a good time at the park. I also had fun on my visits there - there's nothing wrong with the park itself. But please understand there's plenty wrong with the people who run it.

• Banned User

BRAVO!!!! great post Joyce. That is the same reason why WDW's quality is being run to the ground: clueless management. Sadly, that resorts' guest base is clueless about the decline and the fact they over pay for their visit there.

• Minion

ORDDU: Thank you, Joyce duckling, for a post well written. This is just more evidence that Jay Rasulo needs to be totally GONE!!!

• time to go

Question for the knowledgeable:

Is this promotion being used as a way to protect this executive's Disney job? In other words, if she stayed in Florida, she might not survive a management housecleaning?
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• I need my Disney fix NOW!

Wow.... Joyce I think you hit the nail on the head! Great post!
    Disneyland - Apr 1998
    Walt Disney World - Dec 2001
    TDR - Jun 1996, Apr 2000, Apr 2002, May 2008, Jun 2009
    HKDL - Dec 2005, Dec 2006