Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

What The Haunted Mansion should look like in Adventureland at HK Diseyland

And the backstory to go with it:

White Witch (of Rose Hall)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There probably isn’t a Jamaican alive who didn’t grow up knowing something about the infamous Annie Palmer, the White Witch of Rose Hall. Annie was already a star in the Jamaican realm of superstition and dread that included entities such as “Rolling Calf” and “Duppies,” when the writer Harold G. deLisser brought her into the mainstream with his 1928 novel “The White Witch of Rosehall”. Although the actual existence of a real Annie Palmer is in doubt, Jamaicans are nothing if not exquisitely aware of the world beyond the five senses, and most Jamaicans would swear that she lived and still materializes to terrorize the foolish and unwary. Briefly, the legend tells of a spoiled young beauty who arrived on the island as the wife of the owner of Rose Hall Plantation which was situated just east of Montego Bay. She was installed as the chatelaine of the magnificent Georgian limestone mansion also known as Rose Hall. As time passed, and a series of unlucky husbands came to their unexplained deaths (legend says they are buried under several towering palm trees clustered close to the edge of the sea) Annie gained a reputation as a mistress of Voodoo who terrorized her slaves by day and night and took any young buck who caught her eye into her bed before permanently disposing of him. Sustained by fear and loathing of their evil owner, her slaves rose up as a mob and murdered her one night during the island wide slave uprisings of the 1830’s. They torched the Great House that same night. Clearly visible from the main road, the broken and overgrown walls stood for over a century as an eery reminder of one of Jamaica’s many colourful and violent chapters. Local Jamaicans still fear and respect the woman now known as the White Witch. Even in death, and even today, she continues to terrorize Jamaicans, who claim she still haunts the now beautifully restored Great House, and still rides out in the profound darkness of the Jamaican night, dressed in a green riding gown and seated on a black stallion.
    Last edited by NickCharles; 02-28-2007 at 10:04 AM.

• Stitch <3

Turn right, go straight, take a left. Keep going. Keep going. Duck! Turn around, right. Found me! :)

Re: What The Haunted Mansion should look like in Adventureland at HK Diseyland

Wow, nice backstory. Hmm, so this was located in Jamaica?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by danceguest View Post
    Wow, nice backstory. Hmm, so this was located in Jamaica?
    Yes, that is a picture of Rose Hall in Jamaica, near Montego Bay. When I visited the island, I had wanted to take a tour, but we didn't do it. I hope to do it one day.

• Stitch <3

Turn right, go straight, take a left. Keep going. Keep going. Duck! Turn around, right. Found me! :)

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Yes, that is a picture of Rose Hall in Jamaica, near Montego Bay. When I visited the island, I had wanted to take a tour, but we didn't do it. I hope to do it one day.
    It looks spooky. I very much enjoy looking at this picture, gives me the creeps. Maybe Haunted Mansion should be a bit scarier, this house would sure do it!

• Banned User

Here is another picture showing further down below with more of the approach to the house.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Oh, I absolutely love the idea! The Plantation House thing is something I'd love to see come to life, although initial rumours - and these are based largely on the Al Lutz column - seem to indicate a more traditional Anaheim-style house.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    initial rumours - and these are based largely on the Al Lutz column - seem to indicate a more traditional Anaheim-style house.
    I know, and that's so boring and unoriginal at this point.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Re: What The Haunted Mansion should look like in Adventureland at HK Diseyland

Well it's not so much that the original DL Haunted Mansion isn't cool - for here - it's that Hong Kong DL should never had a carbon copy of the California Sleeping Beauty Castle. Every park should have their own castle, their own mansion and their own style in general... that's what gives them their own individual charm - otherwise they start to seem like themed malls, with a Macy's and a Hallmark and a Haunted Mansion in every mall.

The Jamaican Plantation is a great idea, if they imagineer a new attraction for Hong Kong, maybe we'll get improved technologies for adaptation in our US parks the way HK's Space Mountain and Jungle Cruise helped lead to Disneyland's remodel / reworking of the classic attractions prior to the anniversary.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Well it's not so much that the original DL Haunted Mansion isn't cool - for here - it's that Hong Kong DL should never had a carbon copy of the California Sleeping Beauty Castle. Every park should have their own castle, their own mansion and their own style in general... that's what gives them their own individual charm - otherwise they start to seem like themed malls, with a Macy's and a Hallmark and a Haunted Mansion in every mall.

The Jamaican Plantation is a great idea, if they imagineer a new attraction for Hong Kong, maybe we'll get improved technologies for adaptation in our US parks the way HK's Space Mountain and Jungle Cruise helped lead to Disneyland's remodel / reworking of the classic attractions prior to the anniversary.
    Agreed. Disneyland, Magic Kingdom at WDW, and Disneyland Paris all have (or had) unique castles. Then there's the Asian knockoffs...

• Minion

Agreed. Disneyland, Magic Kingdom at WDW, and Disneyland Paris all have (or had) unique castles. Then there's the Asian knockoffs...
    Be careful with that comment. You're implying that Asian people are not capable or just don't feel like producing anything unique. Just so you know, Tokyo's Cinderella Castle is NOT a clone of the one at Magic Kingdom though they may look similar at first glance. The structure itself is a bit shorter in Tokyo Disneyland and prettier in my opinion, especially after the beautiful repainting. It is now a nice pinkish-tan instead of white like at the Magic Kingdom. Hong Kong's, however, is an IDENTICAL clone of Disneyland's.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Be careful with that comment. You're implying that Asian people are not capable or just don't feel like producing anything unique.
    No I'm not, they were both designed and built by Americans, but they are in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Just so you know, Tokyo's Cinderella Castle is NOT a clone of the one at Magic Kingdom though they may look similar at first glance. The structure itself is a bit shorter in Tokyo Disneyland and prettier in my opinion, especially after the beautiful repainting. It is now a nice pinkish-tan instead of white like at the Magic Kingdom.
    Yeah yeah, I don't care, it's still the same as far as I'm concerned. Looks the same. A few feet and a pinkish tone a completely different castle does not make.

Now, back on topic please.....

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

CAREFUL you're implying the Japanese can improve their castles, whereas the Chinese can only knock them off and mark them up.

• Banned User

CAREFUL you're implying the Japanese can improve their castles, whereas the Chinese can only knock them off and mark them up.
    LOL

• Minion

Yeah yeah, I don't care, it's still the same as far as I'm concerned. Looks the same. A few feet and a pinkish tone a completely different castle does not make.
    I wonder how you feel about DLP in general, since what you're saying is that you do not care about the unique touches.

• Minion

For anyone who's interested, here's a photo comparison of the Magic Kingdom's castle and Tokyo Disneyland's castle. The unique coloring of Tokyo Disneyland's castle makes differentiates it enough in my opinion and also looks prettier and fantasy-like, comparable to the Sleeping Beauty Castles. But I digress; let's just drop this silly, "which park has the best castle?" argument as everybody has different views and opinions.

Magic Kingdom's Cinderella Castle

Tokyo Disneyland's Cinderella Castle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast