Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Prospect of a Mulan "E Ticket"-caliber Attraction

If I was building Hong Kong Disneyland, the first thing I would do is create a one-of-a-kind, exclusive, and elaborate attraction dedicated to the legend of Mulan.

Such a signature attraction seems like it would go a long way towards marketing Hong Kong Disneyland both within China and throughout the rest of the world.

Has there ever been any discussion about adapting this important legend as a Disneyland attraction for Hong Kong?

Re: The Prospect of a Mulan "E Ticket"-caliber Attraction

Also, is there someone in Hong Kong or in mainland China who can offer a prediction as to how an elaborate Mulan attraction would or would not appeal to residents of the host region?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

As far as I know, there hasn't being anything concrete discussed beyond the attractions we already know about. However, I agree that they'd be mad not to hype up Mulan in some way. She and some of the other characters can already be spotted around the park, and there are the occasional references to be found.

The only problem I can foresee in this is the 'selling snow to an Eskimo' argument. We've already seen with DCA the dangers of repackaging the local and just not finding an appeal. The appeal of Disneyland in Hong Kong is not the unique local things - although when they are recognised, such as Chinese New Year, they do seem quite exciting - but the Americana it represents. That said, from a world traveller's perspective, I'd love to see something unique and local in every park.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• HKDL is in my timezone!

It looks as though they've tried to put Mulan in a little more at HKDL than they do at other resorts.
    Examples include the Golden Mickeys - there's the Mulan segement in the heroes/courage award category. Was this present in the original cruise line version?
    Disney in the Stars Fireworks - Mulan segment includes 2 musical themes from the movie, the only flames of the show and a mini-finale that gets a big "oooh" out of the crowd and could easily be the end of the show. It seems like it's the longest single segment of the show and is the only part that has Chinese dialogue.
    We couldn't forget the Mulan/Mushu pavillion in Fantasy Gardens either.

Unfortunately no Mulan in the parade or Lion King show though .
    Mulan also rocked up at my character breakfast - has she attended similar character dining experiences at the other parks?

In summary there is a subtle pushing of Mulan but nothing overt.
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

Mulan is a hard character to find at HKDL. I've been more times than I can count, and I've only seen her once. My timing could just be bad, or it could be something else. Mushu on the other hand is an old favorite. He's always good for a dance, but not too many people go to take pictures with him.

• Banned User

I have seen Mulan doing meet and greet close by the Plaza Inn and I even took my pic with her in that area back in april, but have not seen her since. As for the Golden Mickeys, I saw ths show on the Wonder and do not recall that it had a Mulan segent on it, as in fact, the show we see at HKDL is almost 50% new as opposed to the Cruise's production.

Also... It's my understanding the Chinese in the know, do not see the character of Mulan as one that truly represents their culture, but one that is Americans' opinion of what the chinese are supposed to be. Not really something Disney should be promoting as they try desperately to establish this park in Chinese territory.

Walt Disney once said that Disneyland would be a place for California to be at home and for California to host its guests. So, I think Hong Kong Disneyland should aspire to a similar place in the hearts and minds of area residents.

It's important that The Magic Kingdom in Hong Kong be as much of a cultural institution there as it is elsewhere.

On behalf of Californians, I can say that we wouldn't object to D.C.A. if it was more of a community center and a museum of living facts. Walt Disney described Disneyland, itself, using those terms. But, we are, however, alienated by the orientation towards tourists that much of the park possesses.

Giant postcards and ersatz landmarks at the entrance scream "tourist trap". But, Californians would appreciate a more serious approach to this unique region, if Disney were to undertake a project that is more complex and interesting and that truly captures California's romance and evocativeness.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    It's important that The Magic Kingdom in Hong Kong be as much of a cultural institution there as it is elsewhere.
    Disney does not get that, or else, those of us who live minutes away from WDW would feel the same love for WDW, but they do not try harder to make us feel important or needed on their property.

But, we are, however, alienated by the orientation towards tourists that much of the park possesses.
    Pretty much the same way we Orlando locals feel about WDW as a whole.

• Minion

ORDDU: Just recently my sisters and I came across a blurb we had conjured up inside the crystal ball--and I don't remember the source--but it said that the locals in Hong Kong and China actually don't care much for the Disney version of Mulan and that this is one reason she isn't as popular over there as one might expect her to be.

ORWEN: The same little blurb also mentioned that Snow White was actually more popular over there than Mulan.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Also, Mulan doesn't really belong in the stylings of "fantasyland" either. Though it would be nice to have a darkride for her, I just don't see it fitting in anywhere.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

So add on "Mu-Land".

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Just recently my sisters and I came across a blurb we had conjured up inside the crystal ball--and I don't remember the source--but it said that the locals in Hong Kong and China actually don't care much for the Disney version of Mulan and that this is one reason she isn't as popular over there as one might expect her to be.

ORWEN: The same little blurb also mentioned that Snow White was actually more popular over there than Mulan.
    I know that some people in China have criticized the film, but that fact might be all the more reason for Disney to redeem itself by making an attraction that truly does justice to the legend of Mulan. She is very important to Chinese culture.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    So add on "Mu-Land".
    I didn't know you had a sense of humor DCAer.. LOL!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

If not a ride, then at least a nice banquet hall themed to Mulan?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    If not a ride, then at least a nice banquet hall themed to Mulan?
    They already have a Princess-themed banquet hall and I think Mulan is part of the mural over the service counters.. Furthermore, the Plaza Inn restaurant is a totally chinese experience in the inside... and that's where I have found Mulan doing meet and greet before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast