Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Exclamation TDLFAN's Chinese New year visit to HKDL

I visited HKDL on February 16th and got to enjoy the park during this unique and very festive time in all of China. The park was decorated for the ocasion and a lovely and colorful show was presented at the Castle Forecourt to celebrate the Year of the Pig. (Sorry but every time I say the Pig word, I am reminded of my favorite line on MuppetVision 3D "Too bad they had to spoil it... with a Pig", in addition to an ex- of mine..)
    This is my 6th visit to HKDL so far and I have to admit that the more I visit this little Kingdom, the more I like it for it cosmetic beauty and improved classic feel of it. I am a sucker for Penny's Bay framing mountains as well so that adds to the ambiance for me. This time, as the major holiday was about to begin in China, I found the park busy...Upon entering Main Street, all seemed calm, and quiet. However, the further you went into the park, the more crowded it got. By nightfall...the park was packed! It was my very first time seeing the park busy, which compared to crowds at the other parks, this was still modest. But still... 45 mins wait for the Orbitron is quite long here. The only complaint I had was a certain lack of crowd control by the castle as more and more guests crammed to fill in every possible micro-inch of space to catch "Disney's Chinese New Year" show. But with the exception of a few pushy people, most everyone was well behaved, to a certain degree. Why do the chinese have to scream so much when they talk to one another?!?! Must be cultural.. Oh well..

The special show at the castle did NOT disappoint. Chinese pageantry with thundering drums and playful dragons... it was a fabulous treat. Made "Scream Along with Tricky" at the MK look like an episode of Barney on PBS. The only sored spot was the temporary set up of the stage which blocked the castle in the daytime, but that was quickly forgiven by the cheer spectacle and colorful lighting they put up during this show, which was also painfully short at 12 mins long. I would have added some chinese acrobats a la Mulan show at DLP, and stretched it to at least 20 mins. However.. all in all, it was a small spectacular and the crowd loved it. I certainly did! KUDOS to the HKDL entertainment division.

KUDOS also to the maintenance and custodials. The park still looks sparkling clean and well kept all over. Great job!

Anyways... here are the photos from my afternoon at HKDL. They are a bit dark because it was very overcast the entire day with some little pesky showers every now and then... but nothing to cause discomfort. This is a MEGA-photo album with 214 photos... so enjoy and feel free to ask any questions or comment. Each photo is captioned to improve your experience and for me to praise/critique/be funny? etc etc... So ENJOY!!!

http://tinyurl.com/3cvlgl

Re: TDLFAN's Chinese New year visit to HKDL

"Why do the chinese have to scream so much when they talk to one another?!?! Must be cultural.. "

I am Chinese living in HK after growing up in Australia. And the answer to your question: I have no idea.

I tend to think they simply don't realise they are so loud. The few times I have begged my family/friends to keep their voices down, they have had no idea they were shouting.

That said - if you can't scream at Disneyland, when can you? :-)

• Banned User

No disrespect to the Chinese but this happens often and sometimes, I get concerned that a fight is in progress. Such was the case at HKDL several times during my visit. I am sure it's a cultural thing, and that's fine.. but it does call my attention when it happens.. since my hearing tends to be very sensitive to loud noises.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Great pics! And yah, it's definitely a cultural thing. I think when there's that many people, you have to talk loud to be heard.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Shablagoo!

Nifty! Thanks for the photos.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Thanks for the Trip Report TDLFAN, and the wonderful photos. I'm still slowly going through them - but big enough to admit when the 'fansite' has been outdone by the fans.

Also, I noticed you were wondering about the names of the trees. As far as I know, they are called "peach blossom trees". Hope that helps.

At any rate, great photos and report. I especially loved 'Chinese' Goofy, as I hadn't seen him done up in traditional gear before
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Minion

ORDDU: Thank you for the wonderful pictures, TDLFAN, duckling. As always, they are much appreciated.

• Oh my Goodness!

Great pictures thanks for sharing! I enjoyed my trip to HKDL last year - it's fun to stay updated on what is going on there!

• MiceChat Moderator

Yah, I did enjoy seeing hte Disney characters in their chinese costumes. I wish they would do that in Anaheim for chinese new year!

• World Traveler

Thanks for all the photos!!! Keep em coming.

• The Darkness to Light

LOL poor Pluto. I saw a similar thing happen to Tigger in 2002 at DAK. The kid was immediately scolded by both Tigger and his CM Assistent.

And my goodness! That's a long line for The Three Pigs! I doubt you'll see that at any other park!

I can see why the Royal Banquet Hall is your favorite place to eat. Too bad I'll never see it in person myself.

Mmmm... Fried Turnip cakes and Curried Fish Balls.... *cleans drool of himself*

The crowd sits on the walkway and fill in every available inch of space, unlike us Americans and Euros in the US and Paris parks.. We could learn from this asian behavior.
    We could, but we probably wont says this Asian American.

Beautiful photos as usual! You always seem to take shots that I wish I could convert to a Desktop image.

• Banned User

I like their Orbitron with the flying saucers. Different. Also It's cool how their autopia travels right over Tommorrowland, reminding me of the People Mover.

• Banned User

Beautiful resort. It is so pretty there (except for the sky). The hub Mickey and Town Sqaure tree is so incredible. And the park still looks amazing.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    Beautiful resort. It is so pretty there (except for the sky). The hub Mickey and Town Sqaure tree is so incredible. And the park still looks amazing.

Just be glad the park wasn't built in Beijing. It's cloudy/grey there EVERYDAY.

• Minion

ORWEN: I really like the color scheme of their Sleeping Beauty Castle over there, too! It's the same as what Disneyland's USED to be. Now that they've sort of ruined the Anaheim version--with all that gold paint and unnecessary gold railings that are still there, Hong Kong's Castle is much better looking than the original Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast