Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Updates on the Shanghai and Hong Kong projects

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    So far the second gate is still scheduled to open around 2012. to meet that opening date it shoul start construction 2010 if the reclamation project is complete. So don't expect any info until they break ground
    Two years to build a second gate? I think the current park took 5 years to build, if that's the case, this second gate is going to be tiny...

They need one full year just to build IASW, I think the second gate will not come to be until 2015, just to coincide with the 10th year anniversary of HKDL and the 60th anniversary of DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    Two years to build a second gate? I think the current park took 5 years to build, if that's the case, this second gate is going to be tiny...

They need one full year just to build IASW, I think the second gate will not come to be until 2015, just to coincide with the 10th year anniversary of HKDL and the 60th anniversary of DL.
    but I thought the reclamation of the first gate was started in Jan, 2003
    http://www.hongkongdisneyland.com/en...2003index.html
    the official said it took two and a half year to open its gate~
    Last edited by bennettshiu; 04-03-2007 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I personally didn't know they had a firm deal on the table, much less they would have a planned opening date!
    They didn't.

Ever.

There were plenty of wishful 'rumors' though.

• Banned User

I agree that the current roster of parks need a great deal of help in some way or another. A park like DisneySea shows that Disney has barely tapped the fountain of creativity. There are countless stories they could tell about far off places. If building in Shanghai is the case, I say go with a stand alone park. A DisneySea type park with a Hotel Mira Costa would make it a justification to vist in the first place. A spectacular theme park like that would draw a lot of people in and create a new Hybrid of Disney resorts. I think if they are going to build in all these new places, they need an alternative to building big Disneyland Resorts.

As the case with Hong Kong, I say justify the first phase, then build the second across from its gates. Hong Kong is a great little resort with a spectacular location overlooking the water like it does. A second park and a built-up HKDL would make for a great destination. It doesn't even need to have a Downtown Disney or Disney Village to compliment it.

But I will believe all of it when I see it.
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 04-04-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Well, here's a unique way to look at this situation...

I would love if Disney kept building parks. I'm just about finished with a couple o' degrees from a pretty good University, and like 50 million other people out there, I'd like to do some work for WDI. The way I see it, the more parks they build, the more people they'll need, so hey, why not?

Also, from an environmental standpoint, while the initial construction would be a great environmental burden (unless it's done properly), it would be environmentally advantageous to put Disney parks closer to the people. That way they don't need to make heavy use of Earth-destroying activities like air travel (bummer, I like to fly, but it really is harsh on the environment). If a Disney park could be in range of mass transit systems, like I'm sure Shanghai and Hong Kong both have, then the use of fossil fuel systems begins to decrease and the world will be happier for it.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Watch Your Language

Disney yet to decide location of second park in China

BEIJING, April 8 (Xinhua) -- Disney has not yet decided the location to build a second theme park in China, said Wing T. Chao, vice-chairman of Asia Pacific Development at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, on Sunday. The company said last year it was in talks with Shanghai authorities about building a theme park in the city after its first park in China opened in Hong Kong in September 2005.
    "We are sure to build a second park in China in the long run, but we are now reviewing the market and yet to work out the location and specific construction plans," he said.

He said the company is focusing on the development and expansion of its theme park in Hong Kong to meet the increasing demands from visitors.
    Mr. Chao made the remarks at the China Hotel Summit 2007 in Beijing where Disney's Hollywood Hotel in Hong Kong was awarded the China Most Representative Theme Hotel Prize.
    Source:Xinhua News

• Banned User

I really wish one of these international parks (or any new Disney Park) would bomb so completely and be such a money loser that WDC would finally stop building new parks. The company just isn't getting it through their head.

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    I really wish one of these international parks (or any new Disney Park) would bomb so completely and be such a money loser that WDC would finally stop building new parks. The company just isn't getting it through their head.
    MMm Did that not happen with Paris but they still went ahead with Hong Kong? Paris finally made an operating profit, even tho the situation is still up and down. Disney will continue to add parks, Their Parks and Resorts devision is one of the strongest after their movie arms.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Peterwhite171 View Post
    MMm Did that not happen with Paris but they still went ahead with Hong Kong? Paris finally made an operating profit, even tho the situation is still up and down. Disney will continue to add parks, Their Parks and Resorts devision is one of the strongest after their movie arms.
    No I mean REALLY bomb. But yeah, Disney will probably go ahead and keep doing it, unfortunately.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    No I mean REALLY bomb. But yeah, Disney will probably go ahead and keep doing it, unfortunately.
    Walt Disney Studios caused Disneyland Resort Paris to go $2 billion in debt. The only time it made a profit was during the first year, and even then it was only a couple of million dollars. Disneyland Resort Paris started to go downhill from there and like I said, it's now $2 billion in debt.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Walt Disney Studios caused Disneyland Resort Paris to go $2 billion in debt. The only time it made a profit was during the first year, and even then it was only a couple of million dollars. Disneyland Resort Paris started to go downhill from there and like I said, it's now $2 billion in debt.
    The first tear of Euro Disney was in the red. Money wasn't made until after Space Mountain opened. Things plunged again when they built the second gate.

• Minion

ORDDU: Yet you'd never know the place was doing so poorly by the attendance figures. It's a busy place. If only they hadn't over-built the hotels everything else would have most likely turned out fine for them--financially speaking. They've just GOT to curb their desires to over-build when it comes to hotels. Disney World is starting to have too many of them now, too.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The first tear of Euro Disney was in the red. Money wasn't made until after Space Mountain opened. Things plunged again when they built the second gate.
    That is correct, but my statement was referring to the first year Walt Disney Studios opened.

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Another Disneyland in China? I really wish they would stop building Disneylands in every corner of the world. China already has a Disneyland in Hong Kong anyways.
    The USA has two parks. China is a rather large country, the most populated in the world and both parks will have plenty of guests to accomadate. And I mean, it's Shanghai. Do you know what's going on there right now? They're capitalizing on the explosion, it's logic.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan View Post
    The USA has two parks. China is a rather large country, the most populated in the world and both parks will have plenty of guests to accomadate. And I mean, it's Shanghai. Do you know what's going on there right now? They're capitalizing on the explosion, it's logic.
    But I don't want to see a repeat of Hong Kong Disneyland. If they must build another Magic Kingdom, at least make it different and unique from the other Magic Kingdoms. What they did with Disneyland Paris was a good start, but I think they should make even bigger changes. How about different lands instead of the 5 basic ones found at every Magic Kingdom (except Hong Kong Disneyland ). In my opinion, a Magic Kingdom is not limited to the format of the original Disneyland.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast