Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Updates on the Shanghai and Hong Kong projects

I just met my WDI friend and here are the updates on the Shanghai and Hong Kong projects:

The negotiation between the Shanghai Government and TWDC on the Shanghai Disneyland project is completed and the Central Government of China has basically approved the project. Now both parties are working on the details and there will be an official announcement by the end of this summer. Meanwhile, HKDL will announce a major expansion plan: a new pirate themed “land” with multiple new attractions (not just to expand the existing Adventureland). TWDC will be responsible for the financing as the Hong Kong Government is not will to invest on the tidy theme park due to public pressure.

Stay tuned.

• Banned User

Re: Updates on the Shanghai and Hong Kong projects

Quote Originally Posted by pennysbay View Post
    I just met my WDI friend and here are the updates on the Shanghai and Hong Kong projects:

The negotiation between the Shanghai Government and TWDC on the Shanghai Disneyland project is completed and the Central Government of China has basically approved the project. Now both parties are working on the details and there will be an official announcement by the end of this summer. Meanwhile, HKDL will announce a major expansion plan: a new pirate themed “land” with multiple new attractions (not just to expand the existing Adventureland). TWDC will be responsible for the financing as the Hong Kong Government is not will to invest on the tidy theme park due to public pressure.

Stay tuned.
    What do they want to build in Shanghai????

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    What do they want to build in Shanghai????
    It is going to be another Disneyland. They are spreading like wildfire in Asia. I expect them to announce one for India eventually as well.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Minion

Another Disneyland in China? I really wish they would stop building Disneylands in every corner of the world. China already has a Disneyland in Hong Kong anyways.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

China is going to host the Olympics in Beijing and Shanghai is like New York.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I have have a friend who moved from India to America a year ago and she told us--back then--that there had been talk about adding a Disneyland theme park to their country, as well. She spoke about it as though it was common knowledge back there.

• Fastest Man Alive

They should just bite the bullet and open 'Marie-Land!', it will be tons more successful.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    It is going to be another Disneyland. They are spreading like wildfire in Asia. I expect them to announce one for India eventually as well.
    Ugh. Those are such bad ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Another Disneyland in China? I really wish they would stop building Disneylands in every corner of the world. China already has a Disneyland in Hong Kong anyways.
    Well hey we actually agree. Remember the day.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I still say you should just wait and see until a press release comes.

There's so many restrictions imposed by the Central Government on the mainland which they've avoided so far through SAR protections that I don't think they're going to have an easy time. By just not building they avoid all that hassle and someone else will build a rip-off park founded on China's loose sense of copyright.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    I still say you should just wait and see until a press release comes.

There's so many restrictions imposed by the Central Government on the mainland which they've avoided so far through SAR protections that I don't think they're going to have an easy time. By just not building they avoid all that hassle and someone else will build a rip-off park founded on China's loose sense of copyright.
    Shanghai Dreamland anyone?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

We've heard these rumours 'comfirmed' so many times, forgive me if I'm still a little sceptical.

It seems likely that the rumoured Pirates land in Hong Kong will happen, especially with the rumblings of construction already happening. However, I'm still in a position where "I'll believe it when I see it". Either way, I think the repeated statement coming out of Disney seems to be "we'll fix the HKDL problems, then we'll think about expansion".

I have to agree with the general consensus here too: end the March of Disneylands across the world, as it is merely diluting the 'magic' we all know a Disney theme park holds.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

This simply is rumor. Pure and simple.

Unless Disney and China have completely done a 180 on negotiations, there will be no agreement, let alone an announcement this summer as far as Shanghai goes.

I do believe the HKDL expansion will happen though. It has to if the park is to grow and truly be viable. And that means the Mouse may have to open his wallet (watch out for moths and moldy cheese!)

• Creative Director

^from what I was hearing, Jay and his team botched the Shanghai negotiations.

Now, on the order of more "Disneyland" or "Magic Kingdom" style parks- I was one of the ones that thought that enough is enough already. The more there are, the less special they become- which is still true.

But I have also thought that if they really took a creative risk, and planned a magic kingdom style park that was truly unique and different from its brothers and sisters, then the door still truly is wide open. The new stories and characters that they could focus on, the different historical eras they could design within that have not even been touched yet, the creative direction they could take the castle- literally the whole park. Again, that is all a great risk, and I don't see the company doing that anytime soon.
    So, I am not opposed to more Disneyland/magic kingdom parks as long as they are truly completely different and unique, and something that has not been done before.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    ^from what I was hearing, Jay and his team botched the Shanghai negotiations.

Now, on the order of more "Disneyland" or "Magic Kingdom" style parks- I was one of the ones that thought that enough is enough already. The more there are, the less special they become- which is still true.

But I have also thought that if they really took a creative risk, and planned a magic kingdom style park that was truly unique and different from its brothers and sisters, then the door still truly is wide open. The new stories and characters that they could focus on, the different historical eras they could design within that have not even been touched yet, the creative direction they could take the castle- literally the whole park. Again, that is all a great risk, and I don't see the company doing that anytime soon.
    So, I am not opposed to more Disneyland/magic kingdom parks as long as they are truly completely different and unique, and something that has not been done before.
    I believe DisneySea is the new magic kingdom you describe. It's already been done.

• Creative Director

Actually, that was not was I thinking. though I do see the similarities.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast