• Creative Director

Pirates Land Scrapped? Shanghai too?

Alright, I guess I'll bring it up- RUMOR (keyword) is that the Pirate land for Adventureland in Hong Kong Disneyland is supposedly scrapped, and Shanghai is now off the table-seems to be a no go.

check it out at thatotherboard.com (or whatever you guys like to call it here)

I'm a bit disappointed. now, who takes responsibility- Jay R?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Pirates Land Scrapped? Shanghai too?

We may find out at the big Pirates announcement later today:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60519
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Creative Director

I TRULY hope that it does come true- I mean, that other site said RUMOR, and I tried to emphasize that, so I take it all with a big grain of salt. Yet, at the same time, this is not the first time I have heard that...
    I do hope something happens. The whole land would be great; the attraction itself with a nice hefty budget done properly- to me- is most important.

I am really against a Shanghai park. If Disney built a Shanghai park then the HK govt should give the site of the second gate to Universal Studios or Warner Bro's Movie World or something.

I was under the impression that Disney was going to fund the Pirate Port idea?

If thats not the case I cant say I really blame the HK Govt afterall, they are currently building IASW so putting more captial into an already troubled park is not really that wise.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The main phase used in that news article was near-term future.Like Peterwhite171 says with the current construction of Its A Small World on going why would Disney or the Hong Kong Govement be willing to invest millions more into something that has yet to prove to prove itself attendance wise.Once IASW opens then it'll be time for WDI to start exploring the Pirate idea.But for anyone who was expecting a annoucement any day now regarding new expansion clearly has no idea how current Disney management work.

As for Shanhai also being dropped thats got to be considered a good thing for now.Lets concentrate on one park at a time shall we boys.

• Watch Your Language

I don't think the New Pirates Themed Land has been scrapped. more likely it is being postponed.

There is a rumor that the Chief Executive of Hong Kong Government is going to reshuffle its cabinet for his 2nd term (starting 1st July 2007). At least 2 new posts will be created, i.e., Secretary for Development (to oversee new infrastructure development) and Secretary for Culture (to oversee new Cultural Development).
    They have to go through the Hong Kong Legislative Council for extra funding even if the Hong Kong Government is willing to invest for the expansion at HKDL. they might face major opposition at HK Legislative Council for extra funding.

The Chief Executive and his new Cabinet are going to tackle various problems at Hong Kong.

I believe announcement will be made after Summer, after the reorganization of the new Cabinet.

and we might hear more good news on expansion of HKDL, HongKong-Zhuhai-Macau Mega Bridge, West Kowloon Cultural District, Kai Tak Redevelopment etc..
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 04-13-2007 at 11:45 AM.

• Minion

ORWEN: Us cauldron girls sure hope you're right, Hong Kong Disneyland, duckling. Otherwise, your Disney park over there may just end up like Nara Dreamland--dying a slow, painful death until it eventually gets itself closed down for good...

• Minion

ORDDU: I'd like to add that it's NOT too early for Disney to start exploring the idea for a Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. It would seem that they already have been exploring such an idea. Otherwise, what was all that concept art that was recently publicized all about? Disney has always begun working on different projects at the same time. With SMALL WORLD already being built, there's no reason for them to drag their feet in planning the next attraction for the park over there. That IS the way they've always worked. It's just that this time around, they have to answer to the Hong Kong Government.

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    The main phase used in that news article was near-term future.Like Peterwhite171 says with the current construction of Its A Small World on going why would Disney or the Hong Kong Govement be willing to invest millions more into something that has yet to prove to prove itself attendance wise.Once IASW opens then it'll be time for WDI to start exploring the Pirate idea.But for anyone who was expecting a annoucement any day now regarding new expansion clearly has no idea how current Disney management work.

As for Shanhai also being dropped thats got to be considered a good thing for now.Lets concentrate on one park at a time shall we boys.
    It's never going to reach astounding attendance year round if they don't invest in the place, and have major reasons for people to continue to come back.

As for Shanghai, I agree that the focus should be on Hong Kong. But, China is no small country, and the main point of the negotiations going under is more so pointing to the facts that I have heard from folks here and elsewhere that there are particular folks within Parks and Resorts that don't necessarily know how to negogiate properly- particularly with the Chinese. Whether it is true or not, I don't really know- but if Shanghai is completely lost it does start to point a finger.
    Development in Shanghai may not be necessary as of right now, but I can see the issue with losing that land, or the relationship with the mainland govt., to another entertainment company.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: I'd like to add that it's NOT too early for Disney to start exploring the idea for a Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. It would seem that they already have been exploring such an idea. Otherwise, what was all that concept art that was recently publicized all about? Disney has always begun working on different projects at the same time. With SMALL WORLD already being built, there's no reason for them to drag their feet in planning the next attraction for the park over there. That IS the way they've always worked. It's just that this time around, they have to answer to the Hong Kong Government.
    Hop aboard THE JUNGLE RIVER CRUISE, PIRATE TAKEOVER! and experience the new POTC ride for yourself. Look around at the swags and pirate stuff everywhere. Your Adventureland is now THE PIRATES LAND. It hasn't been scrapped. Shanghai, notsomuch.

• Creative Director

Perhaps this "Pirate Takeover" is a test to see how the people will take to Pirates in their park? (as well as marketing the new movie) Will huge investment in a pirates-themed land be worth it (though we know it would be).

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yeah and maybe these gifts under the tree were just Santa's pre-gifting, and there's really a whole sleigh full of presents hidden in the garage!