Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Went to HKDL today and...

Well.. my day today was quite full. I took the Airport Express train to the new Skymall Complex at the airport. Looked around etc... they have this great 4D cinema, where they show movies with in-theater special effects.. like fog, bubbles etc etc... They were playing "Meet the Robinsons" and I was tempted to watch but skipped. Then, took the public bus to the Ngong Ping 360 cable car (like a Skyway) that goes up the side of the mountain to the Giant Budda and the Po Lin Monastery. There is a touristy trap chinese-style village, selling souvenirs, Starbucks coffee, 7-11... you name it. The trip op the mountain was a bit scary at first, but then coming back... I was enjoying it more. You get to see the entire airport from the top of that ride... Really spectacular.
    Tool 20 mins one way. Round trip was HK$88.

After that, I went window shopping at the CityGate Outlets, then ended up at HKDL just before 4pm and stayed until thr fireworks at 8pm. It was a fun day... sadly, HKDL was dead. I am really concerned about the future of that park.... as pretty as the park is...

Anyways... photos coming soon... in the meantime... Pirates have indeed invaded HKDL... at most gift shops that is. Also... HKDL is now officially a part of Disney's Million Dreams.. but don't expect to win a castle stay or a cheap button here.. no sir! But take a trip into any of the gift shops and you will see the same Million Dreams merchandise from WDW and DLR also being sold here as well...with only HKDL's name on it. I bought me a teeshirt!

Anyways... I will comment more on today's visit on my official report later this week.

On my way back to TDR tomorrow. If you see me at TDS in the evening, say "hello".

• Banned User

Re: Went to HKDL today and...

I am concerned about the park too. The resort has so much potential. It is locted in such a beautiful spot. If only they built it in full scale in the first place, I don't think it would be so dead. At least if they built a Pirates land attatched to Adventureland and IASW in Fantasyland in the first place, the park would have been better off right there. I'm just guessing, but it would make it much more compelling. Not to mention the hotels are beautiful so I hope they are not going to waste.

I always enjoy your photo updates by the way.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    sadly, HKDL was dead. I am really concerned about the future of that park....
    They should probably close on Mondays or Tuesdays, like the original Disneyland used to do.

Then again, maybe it never should have been built in the first place?

• All you need is LOVE

thanks for sharing

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

Can't wait to see picutres!!!
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    They should probably close on Mondays or Tuesdays, like the original Disneyland used to do.

Then again, maybe it never should have been built in the first place?
    As the song says "Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...".

I tend to agree with the wisdom of HKDL being one resort too many, but despite this I have a love for the place (obviously) as I can see nothing but unshaped potential. It could really be one of the best with enough TLC, as it is a blank canvas waiting to be crafted into a masterwork.

That said, I echo the concerns TDLFAN has for the future of the park. Small steps appear to be made, only to be taken away when the season dictates. The only permanent step we know about is IASW, and that will hardly put HKDL on the map (even if it is the best possible version ever).

Still, as always, I remain optimistic.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

For all we know all it needs is a tent with the local HK DJs and Chinese rock stars perform and maybe a giant lotus garden in Inspiration Lake. Maybe some cool BBQ/beer place in Adventureland. I say feel free to adapt the place to local sensibilities.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

took the public bus to the Ngong Ping 360 cable car (like a Skyway) that goes up the side of the mountain to the Giant Budda and the Po Lin Monastery.
    I've been wanting to do that! They hadn't opened it yet, last I was there. I took a bus all the way to the Giant Buddha (it was a long ride on a crowded bus). But you could see what a straight shot the cable car would be. I'm afraid of heights, but I think I'd enjoy it anyway.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Oh my Goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I've been wanting to do that! They hadn't opened it yet, last I was there. I took a bus all the way to the Giant Buddha (it was a long ride on a crowded bus). But you could see what a straight shot the cable car would be. I'm afraid of heights, but I think I'd enjoy it anyway.
    We did the cable car right after it opened up to the Giant Buddha...it was pretty cool! I don't really like heights either, but I had a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    For all we know all it needs is a tent with the local HK DJs and Chinese rock stars perform and maybe a giant lotus garden in Inspiration Lake. Maybe some cool BBQ/beer place in Adventureland. I say feel free to adapt the place to local sensibilities.
    The only problem I can foresee with that is the whole 'selling snow to an eskimo' argument. It would be like trying to sell the world of California today to the Californians in a Californian theme park. Wait...

...still, I can't speak for Chinese culture. Perhaps there is more of an inclination there to see local customs adapted into a Disney-style spectacle. Chinese New Year certainly proved a popular event this year, and the focus does seem to be on 'seasonal events' (as our old friend Jay Rasulo put it). However, I honestly don't see the seasonality as a sustainable thing unless there are the rides to complement it. Ocean Park has seasonal events too, but it also has quite a few more rollercoasters. What they don't have is Disney Imagineering. That will always be their biggest drawcard. Just a shame it costs money that nobody seems to be willing to invest.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Santa Barbara, CA

"Disney is as Disney does, even in Hong Kong" - Forrest Gump
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Look for a photo report on that on MC very very soon....

BTW... there is something I forgot to mention on my little teaser yesterday... the clock tower in front of IASW is being built already. I will have photos..... that is if Loomis do not beat me to it, or Malin gets DeepDisney to post them as well...

Look for a photo report on that on MC very very soon....

BTW... there is something I forgot to mention on my little teaser yesterday... the clock tower in front of IASW is being built already. I will have photos..... that is if Loomis do not beat me to it, or Malin gets DeepDisney to post them as well...
    Loomis won't be beating you to anything this week. HKDL Source is closed for rennovations until about Friday (Sydney time). Of course, our galleries are now working again, so we should be able to get our snap-happy readers to start sending in pictures again. (Hint! Hint!) The site will also have a brand new look which you can kind of preview now.

Am very keen to see these photos of the clock tower though! Look forward to your photo report (as always) TDLFAN. Of course, if any of our spies have been snap-happy lately, send your ol' pal Loomis an email - [email protected]

If I came to magical power at HKDL, then I would lower the entry fees for the locals (those with HKID cards) to about $150 straightaway just to bring people in. I will make money from them through the merchandizing and food/beverages.

I probably will also market the hotels more as places to hang out and relax. Maybe also get a club together so ppl can go clubbing, dancing...etc. Get some local celebs to perform at the club. People can arrive by boat at the Disney pier for clubbing/dinner and anchor their boats nearby.

In anycase, HKDL needs to get the locals in.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    If I came to magical power at HKDL, then I would lower the entry fees for the locals (those with HKID cards) to about $150 straightaway just to bring people in. I will make money from them through the merchandizing and food/beverages.

I probably will also market the hotels more as places to hang out and relax. Maybe also get a club together so ppl can go clubbing, dancing...etc. Get some local celebs to perform at the club. People can arrive by boat at the Disney pier for clubbing/dinner and anchor their boats nearby.

In anycase, HKDL needs to get the locals in.
    I was thinking about this idea of a 'local club'. Not so much for the hotels, but with the dance floor they had over New Year's and this weekend with the 903 cross-promo.

However, the problem I can foresee with clubbing and dance parties is that it is Disney. How does Disney keep the squeaky clean image on Disney property and hold a decent dance party that people actually want to go to ? I don't think it is possible.

Although dropping acid on the Tea Cups would be wild.

Ok, there's Pleasure Island. However, I don't know if the "cool dance party" and "Disney property" could ever be reconciled. The majority of the locals will probably still hang out at their local bars, gin joints and clubs. However, if they had some all-ages festivals there with local acts, that could work too. OR have a dedicated venue somewhere there for bands and dance parties. Luna Park here in Sydney has the Big Top, which also functions as a live venue/function centre and works on its own basis. Something like that at Disney could in turn create awareness of the park as a possible venue.

I honestly think there will be many more private functions in the future of HKDL.
    Last edited by Loomis; 04-18-2007 at 03:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast