• Watch Your Language

Penalty for use of foul language on new merged Railway :$5000 or 6 mths imprison't

A controversial proposal that could see people jailed for up to six months for using foul language on trains could derail government plans to get the bill merging the two railway companies passed by the Legislative Council before the current session ends in July.

In a move that caught many legislators by surprise, proposed by-laws for the new unified KCRC and MTRC lines include a suggestion that the penalty for the use of foul language be increased from HK$2,000 to HK$5,000 plus six months' imprisonment.

The fine for loitering, busking or transporting pets would also be increased from HK$2,000 to HK$5,000 plus three months in jail.
    If the new by-law is passed and the merger (MTR and KCR of Hong Kong) is successful it would affect all passengers on the merged MTR and KCR of Hong Kong (this would also include the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort Line.)

There would also be penalty for those who cut lines etc.

more discipline in Hong Kong?

Source : The Standard News (Hong Kong)
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 05-27-2007 at 08:59 AM.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: Penalty for use of foul language on new merged Railway :$5000 or 6 mths imprison'

So, would that mean foul language in Mandarin, or English? If English is included, I might need to rethink my desire to go to Hong Kong. I'd hate for a slip of the tongue to get me half a year in a Chinese prison.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Watch Your Language

Re: Penalty for use of foul language on new merged Railway :$5000 or 6 mths imprison'

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    So, would that mean foul language in Mandarin, or English? If English is included, I might need to rethink my desire to go to Hong Kong. I'd hate for a slip of the tongue to get me half a year in a Chinese prison.

This by-law is difficult to implement if it really got passed. I don't think they would jail offenders unless under very very rare circumstances e.g. someone who is extremely violent or terrorist etc. I wonder if the by-laws would be passed or even passed without modifications.

I find this to be just hilarious. Everytime I get on the train, I hear the words "sh*t" and "God da** it" I also notice people looking at me when they say it. But then my students come in with those words as well. Not cute coming from a 5 year old. Curse words are the first things we learn when we learn a new language. I can see the headlines now. I said "Sh*t on the Disney train and got arrested." Although I can't see it happening. I witnessed a fistfight on the platform of the disney train a few months back. Police showed up, calmed the fellows down a bit and put them on the same train together, so they could duke it out in a smaller space with more people around! Nope, I can't see this law working.

Well if their plan is to take away the freedom of expression of people then they can go right ahead. I don't support cursing but to be jailed for it is a total violation of a civil liberty in the US and Canada. If this gets passed, it will be a step back in time not a step forward, it's not a progressive move at all.

I can't see this bylaw passing through in Hong Kong. This is just as bad as Article 23. I thought Hong Kong was better than Singapore because its the only place in China that has freedom of free speech.