• Banned User

TDLFAN's HKDL June 07 update/trip report

Hello everyone... this is sort of part 2 to my Ocean Park trip report. You see? I left Ocean Park at around 4pm and arrived at HKDL around 5:15pm using public bus and MTR. I gotta admit...I love HK's public transportation system. Cheap and efficient.
    I arrived in HKDL just before the Sun started to set, so I caught the park at the best time... pre-dusk and evening hours. It was also a bit more crowded when compared to other recent visit. Still, not crowded enough to have lines forming for attractions.. or maybe I was there after the rush?? LOL! Why do they even bother offering Fastpass here??? Makes no sense.
    First thing I noticed upon arrival are the new banners on the Promenade, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Hong Kong's handover to the Chinese Goverment. The anniversary takes place for real on July 1st 2007, and yours truly plan to be in Hong Kong for the festivities and extra-special fireworks show over Victoria Harbor... with a possible short daytime visit to HKDL on that day. Of course.. my value AP is blocked off on that day which means me having to buy a day-ticket. Oh well... I understand there may be some special going ons at the park that day and yours truly want to check that out to see if it's true. Fingers crossed. Hopefully, my trip into Hong Kong will go well for that very special ocasion.
    Upon getting closer to HKDL's main entrance and walking down Main Street, I also happen to notice that gardens flowers have been newly planted and trees look a bit taller and very full. Maybe HK's humid tropical weather does have an immediate effect on trees there, but the park looked lush and very green. I love that!
    Once inside the park... business as usual. Waited about 10 mins for a photo op with the Mice, then went window shopping. Found father's day merchandise on display, as well as a small selection of "Million Dreams" tees, hats and other stuff. I have to wonder why this is sold here since HKDL is not participating in that ill-conceived Million Dreams promotion being shove down guests' throats at WDW and DLR. Hmmm.. However, I also saw some very unique tees and shirts for sae here as well... and most I believe were new designs exclusive to HKDL.
    A little farther into the Emporium and HORRORS!!! Disney Crocs shoes on sale!!! ARGH!!! Worst, some chinese guests were buying them!!! The funny thing is... the ones they had on sale at HKDL were like US$15 *less* than the price charged at WDW/DLR on the states. Gotta love China.
    I then took a leisurely walk around the park, checking out the happenings in the "PirateLand" area (aka Adventureland), Fantasyland, then Tomorrowland. Since I got there rather late.. I skipped all rides.. choosing instead to enjoy the ambiance and finally eat a small dinner at the Starliner Diner restaurant, then went on to enjoy the atmosphere this park offers at dusk.
    Tried the Red Bean ice cream popsicle, and had a Bonaqua bottled water to wash it down and keep me hydrated. Even in the evening... you still feel a bit of heat and humidity in the area.
    By chance, I happened to be in front of the hub when the unannounced and quite entertaining light, strobes, and music Castle show started. This is one of HKDL's little secrets. The castle puts on a musical show like every 15 mins or so after dark. Lights on the castle dance and change color to the music, strobes dance in different patterns, and music plays.. It's a little show but quite entertaining. Shortly thereafter, we were being treated to HKDL's "Disney in the Stars" fireworks to end the day with style.
    Finals thoughts... Having visited Ocean Park earlier in the day, then heading into HKDL for the late afternoon and evening...made me appreciate this little Disney park even more so than before. Ocean Park simply does not stack up to Disney's magnificent quality and theming and it's quite shocking to experience the difference when you go from one park to the other in 75 mins time. In fact, all I can say for my visit to Ocean Park is that it benefits greatly from it's mountain top location, but that's about it. HKDL is still a far superior experience in my book, even after Disney and the Chinese dropped the ball and made this park a minuscule shade of it's 4 other sister parks in the World. I love HKDL now even more after visiting Ocean Park... NO doubt about it.
    Here are photos from my short evening visit to HKDL. Of course, with a park of this size.. I find myself taking photos of the same areas and buildings on a recurrent basis... so I apologize on behalf of Disney for that.. But I thought some of you would still enjoy visiting this little gem of a park thru these albums... so enjoy.
    http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...3&a=32541890&f=

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: TDLFAN's HKDL June 07 update/trip report

The fireworks must have been breathtaking. Pirateland has a lot going on in terms of entertainment. What impressed you most? The future Pirate Mountain will sure be one COOL flome ride.

Did you experience the Leaky Tikis? Are they building the Jungle Cruise? Wonder if it will envolve traditional boats, or be a water raft ride. Most importantly, did that red bean ice cream give you gas?! Did you do a fluffy in a pretty face character's face?
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• World Traveler

Great report! I love the picture of you with the mice!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The fireworks must have been breathtaking. Pirateland has a lot going on in terms of entertainment. What impressed you most? The future Pirate Mountain will sure be one COOL flome ride.

Did you experience the Leaky Tikis? Are they building the Jungle Cruise? Wonder if it will envolve traditional boats, or be a water raft ride. Most importantly, did that red bean ice cream give you gas?! Did you do a fluffy in a pretty face character's face?
    Sorry. I was too distracted by your avatar to pay attention to your funny questions.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Sorry. I was too distracted by your avatar to pay attention to your funny questions.

The guys are crazy about HKD. They take their coaster with them wherever they go. Just hope they don't fall off. Smashed Peppers would not be a pretty sight.

Nevertheless, I'm anxious to read your comments on the coming celebration that recognizes the tenth year sice China took control of Hong Kong again.

As you have said, it would also be interesting to find out if HKD is doing anything special to comemorate the occasion. If they are selling Year of a Million Dreams t-shirts, it seems like they could at least do something in line with what is happening there. Hope you can logistically work out attending the park during that period.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• I need my Disney fix NOW!

Thanks for the report! Didn't know about the musical show at the castle. Must check this out.
    Disneyland - Apr 1998
    Walt Disney World - Dec 2001
    TDR - Jun 1996, Apr 2000, Apr 2002, May 2008, Jun 2009
    HKDL - Dec 2005, Dec 2006

I guess if you are into walking around doing nothing but just to admire trees and gardens and fireworks and you are willing to pay more for it, then definitely HKDL is the park for you.

But if you want your rides and see some real animals, then visit HKOP.

Personally, if I want to have a relaxing walk in the green, I would rather visit the HK country side for free then visit HKDL's themed gardens for $300.

• Banned User

To each his own. Lucky for me, I can appreciate it all since I CAN do it.

Great photos as usual, thanks for posting.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Lovely report as always, Mr. TDLFAN. You also take a nice photo, which is just enough padding for me to segue into my own contribution for the week:

http://news.hkdlsource.com/story/165

Chief Spy out and about taking photos, photos and additional photos.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks