• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

The Hong Kong Disneyland That Never Was

Much gets said about the budget cuts at HKDL, and how the park was smaller than originally intended. What does that really mean though?

http://news.hkdlsource.com/story/163

In the course of tidying up here at the Source over the last few days, a couple of things occured to us. Firstly, we realised that we didn't have a copy of the original press release/announcement of the park from way back on 2 November 1999. So for that reason, we have faithfully recreated one of those - with a few of our own graphical additions along the way.

However, this got us to thinking: what would Hong Kong Disneyland have looked like if the original plans had been followed? Would it have been that different a park?

http://homepage.hkdlsource.com/park/lostlands

For this purpose, we have created a new page called Lost Lands. In this section, we aren't speculating about forthcoming attractions or pointing fingers at where Disney went wrong. We merely wish to examine those areas of the park that were originally meant to be something else. After all, who doesn't enjoy a bit of armchair Imagineering?

After looking at the above, what do people think? Are they disappointed HKDL didn't go down that path? Angry that there were a whopping twelve additional rides slated? Optimistic for the future of the park?

Let's have a bit of fun with this...
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Re: The Hong Kong Disneyland That Never Was

Loomis, What is going on with HKDLSource? Every time I get on there I have problems. The page keeps giving me a half a screen of black, then the words. I can't read them though because the browser jumps back to the halfway mark? This has happened to me at three different locations, so I know it's not just my home computer. If no one else is having this problem, do I have broken underwater cables they haven't told us about again?

What browser are you using? I'm using Firefox and there are no problems with display.

Works ok with IE as well.

Great article, I'm surprised no one has done this before.
    I'm "come to terms" with no Frontierland, but it did raise the question since Haunted mansion is mentioned in the press release as being in FL, where did the Voodoo Haunted mansion for AL start. I've heard about it for what seems like years now. Also I wonder if they could theme it to the Voodoo type land that appears in the 2nd POTC film and add it to that Pirates miniland we saw the concept art for?
    Also I'm still kind of disappointed about Little Mermaid and Peter pan not making the cut. But since they (sort of) use the same ride system (suspended vehicles) I wonder if they would both be built?

Quote Originally Posted by Katsmom View Post
    Loomis, What is going on with HKDLSource? Every time I get on there I have problems. The page keeps giving me a half a screen of black, then the words. I can't read them though because the browser jumps back to the halfway mark? This has happened to me at three different locations, so I know it's not just my home computer. If no one else is having this problem, do I have broken underwater cables they haven't told us about again?

I'm having the same problem. I use IE and am on a lap top.
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

Hmm...I'll get our tech people to have a look at it. I've not noticed any problems on Firefox or IE on my home laptop, but make sure you have the latest versions of both in the meantime...

Grrr, is all I can say!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Banned User

Ihate this type of posts.. the "let's imagine what if's...type posts". TOO LATE for that now. The damage is done and there is nothing they can do to fix it unless they throw cash it at. It's fruitless to waste time imagining how things would have been like IF... jada jada. It's no use, and causes depression.

• Having a Grand Day!

Hey Guys - It's been a long time since I've visited MiceChat... The "What If" threads get a bit grating after a while. I promise I'll try and hang around a bit more in the future .

In regards to the new HKDL source layout, It seems to be an IE6 issue I've overlooked. In the meantime, if you have XP it is recomended both by Microsoft and anybody who has had to deal with CSS that you upgrade to IE7. For those of you still on pre XP machines, I will be looking into IE6 just as soon as I can get a dev machine up and and running at home, as my old one is currently tied up running MacOS X86.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Ihate this type of posts.. the "let's imagine what if's...type posts". TOO LATE for that now. The damage is done and there is nothing they can do to fix it unless they throw cash it at. It's fruitless to waste time imagining how things would have been like IF... jada jada. It's no use, and causes depression.
    Normally I do too, but I wrote this one so I'm strangely fond of it.

I absolutely agree with you, which is why I don't see this so much as a 'where did it go wrong' page as a 'what else was on the table?'

We have to try and be as comprehensive as possible on the Source (except for IE 6 people apparently... ) so in the course of putting the old press release together, I thought I'd slap this together. If some people find it fun, which I'd like to think so, great. If one finds it depressing, and it is a bit let's face it, then we should rise up against our rabbit oppressors or something.