• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

City Garden Hotel

I've been checking rates for Hong Kong hotels and have come across one in the price range I'm looking for when I visit Hong Kong early next year.The best I've found is the City Garden Hotel.Now without much knowledge of Hong Kong do you know if its in a suitable area to base myself if I were to go to Hong Kong.Now bare in mind I'm hoping to do the full Hong Kong package of attractions including atleast a full day to two days at Hong Kong Disneyland,a day at Ocean Park,plus I want to do harbour cruise,Victoria Peak,Repulse Bay and Macau.So is the hotel in a suitable location.Here is a discription of its location.

In the vibrant North Point district, at the edge of Causeway Bay. 1-min walk from Mass Transit Railway. Transfer time from airport: 50 min.

• Banned User

Re: City Garden Hotel

While I am not sure about the hotel itself, the Causeway Bay area is very convenient to the shopping district. I have stayed at the Park Lane Hotel there and it was a nice, busy area at night. But that's all I know.

• Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I've been checking rates for Hong Kong hotels and have come across one in the price range I'm looking for when I visit Hong Kong early next year.The best I've found is the City Garden Hotel.Now without much knowledge of Hong Kong do you know if its in a suitable area to base myself if I were to go to Hong Kong.Now bare in mind I'm hoping to do the full Hong Kong package of attractions including atleast a full day to two days at Hong Kong Disneyland,a day at Ocean Park,plus I want to do harbour cruise,Victoria Peak,Repulse Bay and Macau.So is the hotel in a suitable location.Here is a discription of its location.

In the vibrant North Point district, at the edge of Causeway Bay. 1-min walk from Mass Transit Railway. Transfer time from airport: 50 min.
    I suggest you to look for somewhere other than "North Point" District unless the price is very attractive that u couldn't resist.

• Banned User

Can I ask why you recomend avoiding the North Point" District ?

older district, not what we want tourists to see maybe? It will give you a better "flavor" of HK.
    My students just did a project on spending a week in Hong Kong. They all chose the Ibis hotel (HK$659 a night) and the Panda hotel ($640 a night and free breakfast) I know the panda is in Tsuen Wan, I can't remember where the Ibis was. Failing that, there is a Hostel in Causeway Bay for HK$110 a night, but it did look a bit on the cheap and bug infested side to me.
    They had HK$15,000 to spend and their trips took them to all the major attractions, and most of them had money left over when they were done. I'll send you some of their presentations if you want to eat bread and water for breakfast, and McDonalds everyday for lunch. and for some reason they all thought you could get from Admiralty to Disney in a taxi for $80.

• Watch Your Language

For myself , i wouldn't pick "North Point"Disctrict because it is an older district definitely not a district for Tourists.

if you want to see the Colonial past of Hong Kong, there are other areas in Hong Kong which are much better.

I don't recommend Panda Hotel at Tsuen Wan.

For ease of access, definitely hotels in TST (Kowloon) or Somewhere along the line between Causeway Bay and Central (Hong Kong ISland).

Would you be interested in the new hotel offering at Tung Chung? The novotel Citygate? which is located in the centre of Tung Chung, only 5 minutes drive from the airport, or 30 minutes from the city centre.

a partial list of new hotel offerings

- Novotel Citygate
    Pros: New hotel, MTR, Citygate Shopping Centre, Hong Kong Disneyland and HK International Airport nearby
    Cons: Away from Downtown Hong Kong

- Royal View Hotel (Ting Kau, Tsuen Wan)
    Pros: Brand New
    Cons: MTR not nearby, away from Downtown Hong Kong

- L'hotel Nina et Convention Centre
    Pros : Brand New
    Cons: some walking distance to MTR, away from Downtown Hong Kong

it all depends your budget and what u need to do while you are in hong kong. Do u need all those luxury amenities in the hotel? etc....
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 06-23-2007 at 11:56 PM.

• Banned User

Thanks for advice so far all of you,another option I'm currently looking at is to book a Garden room view at the Disney Hollywood hotel for a week as I'm finding the rates very competive.Plus I would have no fears about the area I would be staying in.Flights would be easy too book to thanks to Oasis Hong Kong,which also fly out from Gatwick which is my perfered airport.So do any of you recomend the Disney area as a base I understand its close to airport but what about rest of the city?

Also hope to be going in May is this a good time of year to visit weather wise and is Hong Kong fairly quiet as I don't want to really go during a peak tourist time.

• Watch Your Language

Thanks for advice so far all of you,another option I'm currently looking at is to book a Garden room view at the Disney Hollywood hotel for a week as I'm finding the rates very competive.Plus I would have no fears about the area I would be staying in.Flights would be easy too book to thanks to Oasis Hong Kong,which also fly out from Gatwick which is my perfered airport.So do any of you recomend the Disney area as a base I understand its close to airport but what about rest of the city?

Also hope to be going in May is this a good time of year to visit weather wise and is Hong Kong fairly quiet as I don't want to really go during a peak tourist time.
    1st week of May is the Golden Week of Mainland China, I'm not so sure if it would be busy for Hong Kong Disneyland or not. But quite likely it would be busy for Hong Kong the City itself.

If you plan to go to Macau, I think there is a Sky Pier near Hong Kong International Airport,it is closer than other piers, travelling time is shorter (if u stay at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort). Make sure you reserve your tickets for ferry service to/from Macau (I am pretty sure it would be busy for Macau during May Golden Week as well).

Turbo Jet SeaExpress
    The Pier/Ferry Terminal is located at Skypier, close to Hong Kong International Airport

Turbo Jet
    The Pier/Ferry Terminal is located at Shuk Tak Centre, Central, Hong Kong

New World First Ferry
    The Pier/Ferry Terminal is located at China Hong Kong City in TST

You may also consider staying one night at Macau. hotels at macau are much cheaper than Hong Kong.

you could go for shopping at Venetian Macau (they said it is the biggest Hotel in Asia with 3000 all suite rooms, Grand Canal Shoppes
    , the Shopping Mall is twice as big as the sister property in Las Vegas)

MGM Grand Macau

Wynn Macau

Crown Macau

One Central
    (Residence plus shopping and New Mandarin Oriental Hotel)

Studio City (Ritz Carlton Hotel, Marriott Hotel and a shopping centre managed by Taubman Asia, a unit of U.S.-based retail mall developer Taubman Centers Inc)

City of Dreams (Grand Hyatt Hotel, Hard Rock Hotel, Crown Towers)

and there will be at least 2 live performances coming soon to Macau.
    Cirque du Soleil Macau (at Venetian Macau probably Spring 2008)

Stage Show by Dragone (at City of Dreams, probably in 2009)
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 06-24-2007 at 06:46 AM.

• Watch Your Language

May is already quite hot and humid in Hong Kong.

• Banned User

Cool thanks so much for the advice,staying the night in Macau had not cross my mind but I may seriously consider it.I love Vegas so it would be a must,just checked prices for Venetian and its not badly priced.I'm now looking at a night in Macua and the rest of the trip at Disney.Obviously staying at Disney will be a smart choice.Not making any bookings until I'm back from Tokyo and Paris in Sept.And thanks for mentioning that the 1st week is Golden Week as I'll certainly want to avoid that week.

I don't mind the heat so much as long as its not going to rain all the time.