• Banned User

Good morning from Hong Kong.

Hello every one... it's July 1st 2007 at approx 9am here in Hong Kong, and today it's the 10th anniversary of the handover of Hong Kong from UK administration to the People's Republic of China.
    Right now, the skies are mostly cloudy with some blue and sunshine filtering thru.. but there are also some grey lingering clouds and rain is in the forecast for today.
    Ceremonies to commemorate the anniversary have already started and a procession of colorful boats seem to be underway on Victoria Harbour.

There is police presence all over the city and major roads close to the waterfront in kowloon and HK Island will be closing to vehicular traffic at 6pm today, in anticipation of major crowds showing up for tonight's lavish fireworks display at from 8pm until 8:36pm, over Victoria Harbour. Yours truly will try to catch a glimpse of that show today and report back, but in the meantime, I will stop by HKDL for a few hours today to check out how the park will (or not) benefit from this holiday here in HK, or to see if the folks at HKDL have anything special prepared for guests today (doubtful). We'll see.

I know at least CNN international is having periodic live coverage from HK today of all of the special events planned for the day... so you may want to check out your CNN and BBC internationa channels.

I will add more info to this topic later tonight...

This is TDLFAN reporting live from Hong Kong.

• World Traveler

Re: Good morning from Hong Kong.

And now a commercial.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Say hi to everyone for us, TDL!

Tell me - has there been much in the way of protests on the streets re: democracy and universal suffrage as predicted? Just curious. Before I became obsessed with the hyper-global-mega-plex that is Disney, I was keenly interested in global protest movements, and wrote my honours thesis on the subject...
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Last I heard the democractic activist tried to storm hotel where Hu Jin Tao stayed in Wan Chai to send a petition for more democracy in Hong Kong. As usual they wind up giving it to the police and later dispersed. They did unfurl a banner at Legco saying "We want democracy!" Other tactics they did was jump into the Victoria Harbour for more democracy.

• Banned User

Hello everyone... One quick update on my day.. Spent several hours at HKDL today and now it's about 6:30pm and we are just about 90 mins away from the HUGE fireworks display over Victoria Harbour. Not much going on at HKDL today... business as usual. The park was a bit busy but not crowded at all. All guests entering the park received a souvenir "HK handover 10th anniversary" button. We had several light showers passing over the area around noon-1pm but now, the clouds have parted a bit and there is a bit of blue skies filtering thru the clouds. It should be good weather for the fireworks tonight. The ride on the train back from HKDL... was ..cheek to cheek. Seems like a million people are arriving for the big event tonight and there a lot of police officers everywhere. Road in the vecinity of my hotel here in Kowloon are closed to vehicular traffic..

And NO, I have not seen any protests of any kind in the city. Everyone seems to be in great spirits.

...And that's it for now. I need to get going so I can at least find a spot for the pyro tonight. It's windy here over the city and hopefully that will help dissipate the smoke from the fireworks show...

More on that later tonight! TDLFAN reporting live from HK! Back to the Studios now.. take it away Anderson Cooper..
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 07-01-2007 at 02:34 AM.

• Banned User

I am back, live from HK. I just got back from the AWESOME fireworks show over Victoria Harbor! It was 36 mins of pure dinamite!! With the buildings around the harbor joining in with lasers, multi-color lights, and search lights... it was like watching Illuminations TIMES 100. AWESOME display...with a loud boom at the end...

If I was to take a guess... I would say there were about at least One million people along the Kowloon side of the Harbor and I would imagine there was a lot of folks on the HK side as well...

The police kept order and everyone seemed to have enjoyed their evening here. I will have photos from HKDL and the fireworks display soon after I get back to the States.

This ends TDLFAN's reporting live from HK.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the quick updates. Good to see that even though you are so busy with the hectic schedule, you still think of us to post upates. I know many of us appreciate that. Can't wait for the pics!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

The smallest disneyland but the one of the best!

What a wonderful trip report!thanks a lot!
    I also stood at the Kowloon side to enjoy the fireworks!It was totaly different style from disneyland park.HKDL 's "Disney in the Star" is classic,touch people deeply in the heart but the other one is a grand occasion!
    Waiting your pics!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Sounds like you had a blast! Will you have photos to share when you get back home?

I saw Take That on the Concert for Diana today. Was quite impressed. I thought Robbie was going to join them for that particular show but apparently he was busy in LA with his football (soccer) team, the LA Vale.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Sounds like you had a blast! Will you have photos to share when you get back home?
    If you all behave. But in the meantime, here is the last 90 seconds finale of the 36 mins show on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyxN4DQznwI