• Banned User

HKDL UPdate Jul 07, plus Fireworks over Hong Kong!

I stopped by HKDL on July 1st, 2007, Hong Kong's 10th anniversary since the British regime returned the territory back to Chinese ruling. I enjoyed several hours at HKDL, checked out new merchandise and some familiar treats.., then went to the city to see the huge fireworks spectacular over Victoria Harbor, commemorating the city's handover anniversary.

Here are the photos..

http://albums.photo.epson.com/
    j/AlbumIndex?u=4334673&a=32552149&f=

• Minion

Re: HKDL UPdate Jul 07, plus Fireworks over Hong Kong!

Those were some nice pics. I really liked the first one of the parade starting. And the flowers, and the horse keystone, and TDLfan!
    I want my cake back!

• Minion

Hong Kong Disneyland looks very pretty. I love their bricked Main Street and the lush foliage in the park. And your shots of the fireworks are wonderful as well. I love seeing pictures of Hong Kong at night.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• HKDL is in my timezone!

TDLFAN I apologise on behalf of all Australians for the dancing kids from Wagga Wagga.

How kitch and embarasing!
    I can't believe they wore Australian flag costumes, let alone how bad their dancing may have been...

Great photos as usual.
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing

HKDL is a beautiful park.

• Five-Legged Goat

Beautiful pictures.

There was a "regular" fireworks event on the harbor at 8:00 each evening when I was there. It wasn't that elaborate, but was still fun -- considering that it was a daily occurrence and had to be coordinated on both sides of the harbor from numerous skyscrapers.

Still, I really wish I'd been around to see the fireworks spectacular on July 1...

• Disneyland Grandee

Wonderful photos!!

The castle with the green, rolling hills behind it, truly mimics Neuschwanstein.
    The crowds look really light for July, is this their slow season?? Or was the rain keeping people away.

I have to tell you TDLFAN, that I am JEALOUS that you have the opportunity to visit all the overseas parks so often. But very cool that you do!

As always, thanks for sharing with us!
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhio View Post
    There was a "regular" fireworks event on the harbor at 8:00 each evening when I was there. It wasn't that elaborate, but was still fun -- considering that it was a daily occurrence and had to be coordinated on both sides of the harbor from numerous skyscrapers.
    You were lucky. The skycrapper fireworks are only done during special holidays in the city. Regularly, it would only be a light and laser show on the buildings and nothing else, which is what the huge majority of visitors to Hong Kong will only get to see, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by DizDee
    The crowds look really light for July, is this their slow season?? Or was the rain keeping people away.
    Nope, this is HIGH season at HKDL. The park is struggling with poor attandance from the locals and mainland visitors. Ocean Park, with it's less than wonderful offerings, but spectacular views of the China Sea and the addition of a Panda exhibit, are clubbering Disney to the core. The future of HKDL does not look that great at this point in time and even the Chinese goverment seems to have given up on this venture... So now, it appears it's up to Disney to carry the burden of improving this most beautiful (but painfully small) park.

• Creative Director

I am just amazed time and time again at the sheer beauty and elegance and charm that Hong Kong Disneyland has...it is just a beautiful park and resort.
    The layout is beautiful, the hotels are spectacular, the train station and all the architecture are top notch.

You know, there are times when I think that this park - in terms of its theming and architecture - blow parts of both MK and DL out of the water.
    Maybe because it is so new and fresh looking.
    Yes, it has it problems- basically not enough offerings and nothing really spectacularly out of this world unique- BUT, its attention to detail and charm and physical beauty really show how parts of DL have not aged to well, and how the MK has aged badly, been kept up badly, and has just all around sunk in creative and physical quality.

I may go so far as to say that I personally feel that this park is not the worst Disney park out there, and is higher on my "list" than the MK itself....

The smallest disneyland but the one of the best!

Wink Re: HKDL UPdate Jul 07, plus Fireworks over Hong Kong!

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    I am just amazed time and time again at the sheer beauty and elegance and charm that Hong Kong Disneyland has...it is just a beautiful park and resort.
    The layout is beautiful, the hotels are spectacular, the train station and all the architecture are top notch.

You know, there are times when I think that this park - in terms of its theming and architecture - blow parts of both MK and DL out of the water.
    Maybe because it is so new and fresh looking.
    Yes, it has it problems- basically not enough offerings and nothing really spectacularly out of this world unique- BUT, its attention to detail and charm and physical beauty really show how parts of DL have not aged to well, and how the MK has aged badly, been kept up badly, and has just all around sunk in creative and physical quality.

I may go so far as to say that I personally feel that this park is not the worst Disney park out there, and is higher on my "list" than the MK itself....
    absolute agree with you!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    Maybe because it is so new and fresh looking.....
    For how long now have I been saying how much nicer HKDL is over the old albatross MK? However... it has nothing to do with being new and fresh... New and fresh is possible with good maintenance. Take TDL for example...almost 25 yrs and looking as nice as it did when it first opened. OLC understands this. Sadly, WDC doesn't anymore. I can only hope that HKDL will suceed in being the pretty park it currently is. THAT is the Disney difference... you can have 50 attractions, but if the park looks shabby, it ain't Disney in my book.

• Minion

The two Asian Disney resorts have the highest quality, much more so than the American and European Disney resorts.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Exclamation Re: HKDL UPdate Jul 07, plus Fireworks over Hong Kong!

Last chance to see this album. It comes down next week and will be replaced with new waterwork parade photos.

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Hong Kong Disneyland looks very pretty. I love their bricked Main Street and the lush foliage in the park. And your shots of the fireworks are wonderful as well. I love seeing pictures of Hong Kong at night.

I've just got back from WDW, and one of the most noticable things is the tree shortage at the MK- specifically Main Street.

The management must have a tree intolerance or something......