Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: LA Times: Ocean park outsmarts the mouse

While there is no disputing the beauty and charm of Hong Kong Disneyland, there is no denying that it is a substandard Disney park in terms of its offerings. It is currently the worst Magic Kingdom and near the bottom of the list of best Disney parks.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

How many Hong Kongers have visited the other worldwide Disney parks to compare? A small fraction, I'm sure.

The solution is to find out what they like about the park, and what they (the locals) think is missing.

It might not be the same solution as we'd apply to WDW or DL or DCA.

In California, DCA may need a few more thrill rides. In Hong Kong, they might need a 'Videopolis' style stage with live music and dancing, or more 'Tom Sawyer Island' style play areas.

• Banned User

Regardless, Disney dropped the ball and cheapened out. I can not blame them totally for being cautious about a prospective clientele that may not be all that familiar with Disney characters and films (which is surprising, concidering all of the Disney stuff you can find pirated in the street markets in Mainland China). The park needed a few more big attractions and if not a Frontierland, then at least a ToonTown..
    At least they gave us a park that is much prettier than the MK at WDW and for that I am greatful, since they could have cut back in that area as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa
    The MEDIA can say whatever they want, we have free speech in HK.
    Yes, but for how long...?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    How many Hong Kongers have visited the other worldwide Disney parks to compare? A small fraction, I'm sure.
    More than you think, apparently. Lots of HK people have been to California, Paris and Tokyo. They knew what was missing the first day HKDL opened.

The majority of people in Hong Kong that went to Disneyland have been to the Tokyo Disneyland Resort and really know what's really missing. Many come to expect HKDL to be equivalent to Tokyo Disneyland but that is not the case.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mclubber View Post
    The majority of people in Hong Kong that went to Disneyland have been to the Tokyo Disneyland Resort and really know what's really missing. Many come to expect HKDL to be equivalent to Tokyo Disneyland but that is not the case.
    Given the close location of the Tokyo Disney Resort, I wonder how it has affected Hong Kong Disneyland's attendance. Most people can just hop on a short plane ride to Tokyo and experience the best Disney resort in terms of quality. Surely people who've been to both will be disappointed that the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort doesn't even have a second gate, plus the fact that Hong Kong Disneyland is by far the smallest Magic Kingdom in terms of attractions.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

I've just finished a day of Statistics, I understood it, and am feeling pretty smug so here comes my opinion and all of you can pop my over-inflated brain bubble. Asa said "lots" of people have been to fl, ca, and paris. Ok, but what percentage of the HK population is lots. How many of the almost 7 million constitutes lots? Let's face it, when there are huge sections of the population that don't cross the harbor because of the bus/MTR fares, How can we lay clame that people "know" what they are missing. Word of mouth? Over criticism by the media? I know what's missing, but I grew up with the mouse. Can the same be said about HK people in general?
    And yes, we have free speech....to what degree? Hmm this is something I argue about with my husband all the time. Case in point, the mistranslation/transcription of an English speaker on the program last week entitled "Hong Kong, ten years on." If those translations were free speech...then I am a mouse. Do I think it's small? that would be a resounding yes. Do I think OP is better? Not today. Maybe in the future, but a lot of work needs to be done.
    I think I may have read in this forum somewhere, it's what you're used to and expect based on name. I remember listening to kids at the UNI talking about when HKDL opened they expected starting salaries to be around HK$20,000 a month for a ride operator. Why? Because Disney was a multi-national (of sorts). I think (addled brain that I have) this was one of the first bits of negative press. Big companies don't always change teh world in the way we hope they will.
    Ok, I'll stop. I think I'm getting side tracked here....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mclubber View Post
    Well... Hong Kong people should know that even TDR kisks major a*** when it comes to Disney parks. TDR is after all the best Disney experience out there, outdoing what is currently done in the USA and Paris. For Hong Kong locals to expect the same level of quality that ever WE in the USA do not get at our local, more established Disney parks is ludicrous. You know what I think? Hong Kong should be kissing their lucky stars for having gotten a franchise of one of the most important theme parks on Earth, especially after the fiasco with EuroDisney SCA... I think Hong Kong is a very lucky city, and so is Paris... but neither have yet to understand the importance of having Disney within their city limits.

Thumbs down Re: LA Times: Ocean park outsmarts the mouse

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well... Hong Kong people should know that even TDR kisks major a*** when it comes to Disney parks. TDR is after all the best Disney experience out there, outdoing what is currently done in the USA and Paris. For Hong Kong locals to expect the same level of quality that ever WE in the USA do not get at our local, more established Disney parks is ludicrous. You know what I think? Hong Kong should be kissing their lucky stars for having gotten a franchise of one of the most important theme parks on Earth, especially after the fiasco with EuroDisney SCA... I think Hong Kong is a very lucky city, and so is Paris... but neither have yet to understand the importance of having Disney within their city limits.
    This is exactly the kind of attitude that HK people do not subscribe to. If HKDL is really that good, prove its worth in its crowd numbers and financial results.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    This is exactly the kind of attitude that HK people do not subscribe to. If HKDL is really that good, prove its worth in its crowd numbers and financial results.
    Regardless, you are still lucky to have a DL park in your backyard and it will be a park that, with time, will show it's worth. Giving HKDL bad press just because it's small and short in offerings only amounts to short-changing it's potential. Give it time.

• Hola Yola!

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    I can understand why. Why should HK people really feel lucky Disney has decided to open a theme park to make money in their city? Particularly if it's the smallest of them all? When people visit a theme park they likely won't take the fact that HK has a smaller potential market and thus can't support as big a park as other markets. I assume they judge the park pretty much the same way people judge Disney parks in other parts of the world based on how much there is to do and the quality of what's there. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the general public to 'support' the park.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Not much to do at HKDL. Of course, Ocean Park lacks Disney Quality. As far as the variety of things to do goes, OP wins hands down. Plus, it's less pricey. Disney marketing strategies don't always work in the face of competition. Those panda bears don't mouse around.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12