Thread: Staying onsite

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Staying onsite

Right I was considering making plans to visit either Tokyo or Hong Kong next year and I think I've finally decided on Hong Kong.Through that could likely change!

Now flights are going to cost me nothing,so all I need to be concern with is the cost of an hotel.Now I've been checking out prices for various hotels and I'm impressed by the rates going at Disney's Hollywood Hotel.Now I know quite a few of you on here highly recomend it,but I'm thinking of booking 7 nights here and just wanted to know if that is recomended or not.Obviously I would like to spend a couple of days at Hong Kong Disneyland with the rest of my time exploring Hong Kong itself.Is the park situated in an idea location where it would be easily accesible to the rest of the city?

Re: Staying onsite

Can't wait to hear responses in this, as we are essentially in the same boat.

hmmm...you should probably stay onsite for maybe a couple of nights while enjoying disneyland and then check into a hotel that is more central(i.e located in tsim sha tsui district in kowloon, that's where i stayed everytime i am in HK) since most of HK's major attractions are located in this area and HK island is just a 5-10 min train ride away. You may choose to stay onsite for your whole trip but it will be quite troublesome to change trains2-3 times in order to get to kowloon or hong kong island. i hope this helps.
    信じてコンパス・オブ・ユア・ハート

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

I tend to agree with FabianFan on this one. Even as the Great Defender of All Things Hong Kong Disneyland, I think you'd be struggling to find 7 nights worth of things to do at the Resort.

Hong Kong nightlife is fun, but it is much easier to pop down from your hotel than commute to it. To quote the well-traveled TDLFAN from another thread: "each one-way trip to the city or back to the Resort (from Disneyland Station to Central) will take you on average 35-45 mins, each way. Then another 10-20 mins or so, depending on wait times, to get from the MTR station to your HKDL hotel via the resort shuttle bus."

I would echo the advice of finding something centrally located (such as in Tsim Sha Tsui - I went with the Kowloon Hotel for example, and that was a good location as it sat right on top of the MTR Train Station and gave us instant access to that network, and was a short stroll from the ferries) for four nights, and then move to the resort for 3 nights. This should give you plenty of time to see the highlights of Kowloon, Hong Kong Island before heading over to the resort and perhaps even the NP Monastery.

Hope that helps some.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• HKDL is in my timezone!

In my opinion it really depends on your travel style and if you've ever visited the city of Hong Kong before.

As someone that has visited and stayed in HK a few times before and also someone that prefers to not waste time packing up, moving hotels and waiting for 2pm to check in to a new room somewhere else I would consider staying at HKDL for the duration of my stay next time I'm in town.

Sure, it'll take a bit longer to get to the centre of town but it's a lot closer to the airport and Ngong Ping 360, which are both also on Lantau Island.
    This is also offset by the fun atmosphere of staying at the Hollywood Hotel, not to mention the great Chef Mickey breakfast! It was always a great start to the day to have that yummy buffet and then walk to the park or train station. Just puts you in a good mood.
    If you're in a particular rush you may want to take the shuttle bus but there's no real need to use them except when the weather is bad or if you're not too mobile.
    Also the space, surrounds and views at the Hollywood Hotel are quite more relaxed than downtown HK so if you want to stay in that kind of atmosphere it's the place to be.

All that said, if you are a first time visitor to HK I would recommend staying in downtown HK for a few nights to get a better feel for the place and immerse yourself in the culture. HK is a big bustling Chinese city, you just won't get that if you stay at HKDL the entire time.

At the very least I recommend a few nights in HKDL for the park, the surrounding resort and a visit to Ngong Ping 360.
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

• Banned User

When your quite finish,I'd like to point out that while I won't be paying the cost of the airline tickets thats due to someone else offering to pay them off as a gift and not me freeloading as you so put it!

I'm going to both Tokyo and Paris this year which is going to include a full six flights all of which I'm paying for out of my own pocket at full cost.So while I apreciate your fustrations towards the airline industry,I've got nothing to do with any of that,thank you!

• Banned User

I'd like to say a massive thanks for all the advice given,however I think due to not knowing Hong Kong to well and its various areas I'll be more happy staying onsite as I trust Disney.I don't mind traveling to and from on the MTR if its only going to be a 60 min journey.Also due to high cost I usually can't aford a stay in a Resort hotel so I feel with the great rates offered I should take advantage of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I'd like to say a massive thanks for all the advice given,however I think due to not knowing Hong Kong to well and its various areas I'll be more happy staying onsite as I trust Disney.I don't mind traveling to and from on the MTR if its only going to be a 60 min journey.Also due to high cost I usually can't aford a stay in a Resort hotel so I feel with the great rates offered I should take advantage of this.
    Just bear in mind that there really isn't a huge amount to do at the Resort. If you don't mind travelling an hour to the bulk of the shops, so be it. Unlike the other resorts, you don't have a Downtown Disney or many shops. Depending on which hotel you stay at, you'll have a handful of restaurants and bars and a gift shop. That's pretty much it. After the park closes, you'll just have a hotel room for the most part. If you don't mind schlepping to Hong Kong's centre at night, you'll be fine. I just can't help but think that 7 nights is a looooong time to stay on Hong Kong Disney property. I stayed three, and I would have been baffled as to what to do after a fourth...

However, it does seem like a good deal, so if you feel more comfortable with Disney, go for it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Banned User

Thank you Loomis for that bit of advice nothing will be booked until after September but its always good to take what you've said into consideration.And who knows maybe I will only stay a few nights and move on.Someone recomended a night in Macau also.So who knows but personally I would perfer not moving from hotel to hotel all the time.

Here's a good website to checkout on Hong Kong if you aren't sure what to do:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng

Don't ask me why, but I wound up putting this little guide together today out of sheer boredom:

Choosing a Hotel

http://news.hkdlsource.com/story/200

It covers some of the topics from this and other threads, and I've stolen liberally from many of you.

My hope is that it will be of some use to a number of potential visitors.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    It covers some of the topics from this and other threads, and I've stolen liberally from many of you.
    I am calling my attorney right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I am calling my attorney right now.
    I have a law degree. Bring it!

• Banned User

Very kind of you to go through the trouble of that Loomis I'm sure countless MiceChatters are going to find that page of interest in the year to come