Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Post Fireworks at HK Disneyland

How do the HKDL fireworks measure up to the fireworks displays at other Disney theme parks and other displays in Hong Kong and other areas in South China.

My understanding is that fireworks are a big part of the culture. I also thought I had read that the fireworks were a little underwhelming whether measuring from Disney standards or HK standards. That they don't use the best fireworks available and do it on the cheap...

Can anyone provide feedback on this, and I'd also like to discuss more generally whether the inclusion of a show like "Disney's Wonderful World of Color" being planned for DCA in California, or perhaps the perennial "Fantasmic!" show would make sense for Hong Kong Disneyland guests.

In other words, are we giving them enough bang for their buck, in the fireworks department.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Fireworks at HK Disneyland

Hong Kong Disneyland like any theme park close to large populations are restricted to what can be used during a fireworks show.As for how the fireworks match up to the other Disney parks,try asking TDLFAN.

• Minion

ORDDU: A coven of witches seems to recall that there had been some controvercial protesting over the fireworks at Hong Kong Disneyland when the park first opened. Some locals complained about the noise along with the pollution that was supposedly created. We haven't heard any follow up reports on that particular story since.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: A coven of witches seems to recall that there had been some controvercial protesting over the fireworks at Hong Kong Disneyland when the park first opened. Some locals complained about the noise along with the pollution that was supposedly created. We haven't heard any follow up reports on that particular story since.
    There were two major complaints as I remember. One was a request to install air and noise pollution monitors around its new park, and I'm not sure of the results. I do know that they passed the local 'tests' at the time (August 2005). The other was a concern that the evening fireworks may scare off the rare white-belliled sea eagle! I've not heard much on either story since...

As for measuring up against other parks, it is hard for me to say. The only other Disney fireworks I recall seeing (many times) were the 50th in California. I can only reiterate what I said in my last trip report: "I usually take the attitude that you’ve seen one set of fireworks, you’ve seen them all. However, it was difficult once again to not get caught up in the enthusiasm of the locals. There was genuine awe as the multi-coloured lights arced their way across the night sky, and exploded in a dizzying array of pixie dust. The magic was certainly alive in Hong Kong that night." There is something about the setting that makes it seem more magical, although I don't believe the show itself is anything more 'wowing' that your average fireworks show. It's still pretty darn good though.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Banned User

First and foremost... HKDL does have to keep a lid on what they do with their firework shows... Seems to me, nearby residents of pricey and afluent Discovery Bay, have been instrumental in keeping HKDL's pyro in check. Add to that the local goverment's concerns for high pollution levels the HK district sees on a daily basis, and you can see why.. it should be instrumental for HKDLR to be a good neighbor and play it safe and low key.

Mind you... the HKDL's "Disney in the Stars" Fireworks is a small affair when compared to the FABULOUS 50th anniversary show "Remember..dreams come true" at DL. Even the MK's Wishes is a big affair and 2nd to only the wonderful DL show.

Likewise... residents in nearby Marnee-la-Vallee...were instrumental in keeping DLP's pyro to a more silent low flying shells... and that is what DLP's current Wishes version is.. a somewhat smaller, less noisy version of the MK show...only that what DLP lacks in the BOOM dept, it adds in special visuals on the castle. And I too, liked that show.

Finally... TDR. Worst fireworks show of them all, which is sad because when DL and WDW were still performing "Fantasy in the Sky", TDL was first in launching shells from the castle, with search lights, lasers and even some characters thrown in quite close to the pyro action... then it all started going downhill in TDL when "Stardust Fantasy" premiered and they went back to "Fantasy in the Sky" form.. Bad move. Today, TDR has the worst pyro launching pad positioning and simply the barest of show, while other parks, including HKDL with it's limitations... have exceeded the japanese's efforts.

Now in regards to HKDL... the show has a lovely medley of Disney music and an equally colorful filmed introduction, projected on the castle itself. HKDL also borrows elements from DL and utilizes a very colorful light and strobe system on the castle (with added filmed visuals and effects for mere eye candy factor), they fire up gas torches and use search lights (like DL does). All in all, HKDL's Disney in the Stars is a lovely show that has become one of my favorite attractions in the park. To this day, I have never left the park without missing it, and gets me in the Kleenex mood....

See for yourself... the entire 10 mins, minus the filmed introduction...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV7IWSQdNMA

...and listen to the audience reaction at the end. That is true Disney magic.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    Very thorough response! Thank you.

• Sock Puppet

HKDL's fireworks seem to be at the same quality level of the original Believe. They are better than Fantasy in the Sky but not as exciting as Remember... Dreams Come True.

I would say that the fireworks shows in the magic kingdom style parks rank like this:

1. Remember
    2. Wishes MK
    3. Believe (regular and Holiday)
    4. HKDL
    5. Wishes Paris
    6. Fantasy in the Sky

• Banned User

Did you say... "seem to be"? As in "I have not been to HKDL and love to pass judgement on it?" kind of perspective?

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Did you say... "seem to be"? As in "I have not been to HKDL and love to pass judgement on it?" kind of perspective?
    I've never been to Hong Kong Disneyland and will post as many opinions on it as I want. I've done enough research to know whether the park is any good or not. I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars just to confirm what I already think, that HKDL is a bomb but has a decent fireworks show.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Acetone View Post
    I've never been to Hong Kong Disneyland and will post as many opinions on it as I want. I've done enough research to know whether the park is any good or not. I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars just to confirm what I already think, that HKDL is a bomb but has a decent fireworks show.
    Your loss but remember this... Doing research is just reading some one else's assesment of the situation. There is always a posibility of error in that. Reason why I never come off uninformed about what the parks are about. I go, see and experience, then comment on it so I don't come off as ignorant as some people allow themselves to be, offering big opinions when in fact, have never set foot in the park in question. But hey, it's America, you choose to believe whatever you want. So will I.

• Sock Puppet

Reason why I never come off uninformed about what the parks are about. I go, see and experience, then comment on it so I don't come off as ignorant as some people allow themselves to be, offering big opinions when in fact, have never set foot in the park in question.
    I have never presented my opinions about any Disney park I've ever been to as if I had actually stepped foot on those properties. I always say, "Based on videos I've seen..." and "Seems like..." My opinion in that context is just as valid as anyone else's opinion.

It works in reverse too. I've been to Disneyland many times, but my opinion is no more valid than someone who has never been and has no interest in going. They simply aren't into it. That doesn't offend me and I don't think their opinion is ignorant.

As far as my research, I've read the most positive reviews of HKDL and they still come off as straining to say something good about the place. I've read the facts, such as what attractions are there and how big the park is, and it simply doesn't impress me.

Everytime you choose to go somewhere new, according to your logic, you are making an ignorant decision. You can't reserve judgement until you visit HKDL, because by choosing to go or not go, you are already making a judgement on it!

My judgement is that HKDL is not interesting enough to make the effort to see. If that's ignorant than so be it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Acetone View Post
    It works in reverse too. I've been to Disneyland many times, but my opinion is no more valid than someone who has never been and has no interest in going. They simply aren't into it.
    Then they should not have an opinion, and if they did, who cares since having a bad opinion does not mean the park is bad.
    I can't just use someone else's references and form an opinion on something I have not experienced myself. I find that utterly silly to do, and means cheating myself from knowing better.

I think I have already stated my point of view as well as you have, even if we disagree and that is find. Like you said... so be it.

• Sock Puppet

Then they should not have an opinion, and if they did, who cares since having a bad opinion does not mean the park is bad.
    But if most people have a bad opinion of a park, then yes, the park is bad. The general consensus about Hong Kong Disneyland is that it's failing to bring in the crowds because it's not a substantial Disney park.

It doesn't matter that there are people out there that enjoy it. There are exceptions to every rule. All the facts point out that there are many things wrong with the place and you need not visit to see that.

• Banned User

I have nothing else to comment. You choose to believe whatever you want. I believe my experience and observations and know what I am talking about. That won't change my mind about it. I am just greatful I have the chance to go as often as I care to go and enjoy it. Who cares what the alledged majority think if that is indeed the case? Still waiting for the poll numbers you so convincingly talk about.

• Sock Puppet

That won't change my mind about it. I am just greatful I have the chance to go as often as I care to go and enjoy it. Who cares what the alledged majority think if that is indeed the case?
    That's great. I'm not telling you to not enjoy yourself. I'm just saying, from my perspective and others in my situation, the place is not worth my time or money.

Hong Kong Disneyland is getting beat by freakin' California Adventure in attendance for crying out loud. They must have done SOMETHING to screw up Walt's formula for the Magic Kingdom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast