Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Hong Kong Disneyland Celebrates 2nd Anniversary Amid Problems, CNNMoney,12th Sept2007

Hong Kong Disneyland, a major showcase of Disney entertainment for mainland China, celebrated its second anniversary Wednesday amid disappointing attendance and reported labor problems.

The park, which opened on Sept. 12, 2005, drew 5.2 million guests in its first year, 400,000 short of its target of 5.6 million.

Park officials have been secretive about attendance figures. They haven't announced second-year numbers, but The Walt Disney Co. (DIS) revealed disappointing earnings results for Hong Kong Disneyland in its quarterly reports this year.

Disney said the park's operating income dropped in both the first and second quarters, curtailing overall growth for its parks and resorts division. The company said Hong Kong Disneyland suffered from lower attendance and guest spending in the first quarter.

Local media reports estimate that up to 4.8 million visited the park in its second year.

Separately, the South China Morning Post reported Wednesday that a survey conducted by the Hong Kong Disneyland Cast Members' Union of 470 Hong Kong Disneyland workers said 63% were unhappy with management.

The report also quoted a recent newsletter from the union as accusing Hong Kong Disneyland management of unfair firings, rude behavior and banning workers from medical appointments during work hours.

A union spokeswoman didn't immediately return a reporter's call seeking confirmation of the report.

Hong Kong Disneyland has also drawn scrutiny because it's a major government investment. Hong Kong taxpayers shouldered most of the US$3.5 billion construction cost and own a 57% stake in the joint venture with Disney.

The Hong Kong government on Tuesday affirmed Hong Kong Disneyland's value.
    Spokeswoman Cynthia Tong at the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau called the park "an important piece of travel infrastructure" that helped cultivate Hong Kong as a family tourism destination, but added that the government would welcome any measures to boost attendance.

Hong Kong Disneyland said in a statement the theme park was one of the most visited in the world. It said it won't reveal attendance figures but said that it was welcomed "many guests" who have given "consistently high" ratings.
    It countered the Hong Kong Disneyland Cast Members' Union's reported survey with its own, saying it found in a poll of more then 1,000 workers that 92% felt they were treated with respect at the park.

The pro-government Hong Kong newspaper Wen Wei Po urged both the government and park management to do more in an editorial published Thursday.

"As the major shareholder, the government can't ignore Hong Kong Disneyland's predicament. It should try to help the park solve its problems and get through its difficulties. At the same time, park management should reflect on its deficiencies, learn its lessons and launch comprehensive, pro-active reforms," the editorial said.
    Source : CNN Money

• Banned User

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Celebrates 2nd Anniversary Amid Problems, CNNMoney,12th Sept

Separately, the South China Morning Post reported Wednesday that a survey conducted by the Hong Kong Disneyland Cast Members' Union of 470 Hong Kong Disneyland workers said 63% were unhappy with management.
    So they actually have a better (lower) percentage of unhappy CMs when compared to ALL of the other Disney resorts on Earth? In teresting!

Funny how the HK Press likes to re-emphasize the HKDL situation over and over... which is a thinly veiled attempt to discourage would-be visitors from visiting the best thing that has happened to Hong Kong since the Brits arrived.. Is the Press that bitter about HK's goverment involvement with Disney on this project?

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Celebrates 2nd Anniversary Amid Problems, CNNMoney,12th Sept

I don't see it that way. HKDL is good but it is not a park you will want to re-visit in a hurry. Disney and HK govt both know there is work to do there and we want to see a plan. If they don't plan now then I don't see any new developments in 2010.

And it is definitely not the best thing ever happened to HK since the Brits arrived. Disney is not in HK to help HK, Disney is in HK to make money.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Funny how the HK Press likes to re-emphasize the HKDL situation over and over...
    Funny how the American press, CNN Money in this case, is doing the same thing. I would discourage visitors too, because HKDL is simply not a good value at this time.

There's no conspiracy here, HKDL just sucks.
    Last edited by Acetone; 09-12-2007 at 08:10 PM.

• Banned User

Yes, and CNN International, where most of these international news originate, is broadcasted from Hong Kong and the UK! So yes, the Press is Biased.

And no, HKDL does not "suck". What's there is quality, and saying the park "sucks" just because it's a small park does not paint an accurate picture of your opinion, which seems as biased as the Press'. DL in CA was also small when it opened, and it's been sucking for 52 yrs!

• Sock Puppet

Yes, and CNN International, where most of these international news originate, is broadcasted from Hong Kong and the UK! So yes, the Press is Biased.
    They are not biased. You are. You are blindly defending the park against these vast Chinese conspiracies despite the the fact that the general concensus, from both the perspective of the press and the guest, say that HKDL just isn't doing that well. I don't want the park to fail, but I just call it like I see it. I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to visit HKDL, or even WDW, because based on my research they do not seem like good values at the moment, for various reasons.

I did however, spend the money to visit TDR based on my research, and it only confirmed what I already knew, that Disney thinks so poorly of their product that they won't even invest in it themselves. They want someone else to foot the bill.

Love the park all you want. I can see that it's still Disneyland and still better than your average Six Flags park. But since you've got plenty of money to burn visiting Disney theme parks around the world, your perspective is a little different from the average person. Many people can't just get up and go visit the miniscule Chinese Disneyland just to confirm what they already know.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Acetone View Post
    I don't want the park to fail, but I just call it like I see it.
    So do I as a matter of fact, so do I, but there is no denying the press fuels the fire.
    Love the park all you want. I can see that it's still Disneyland and still better than your average Six Flags park. But since you've got plenty of money to burn visiting Disney theme parks around the world, your perspective is a little different from the average person. Many people can't just get up and go visit the miniscule Chinese Disneyland just to confirm what they already know.
    How can you confirm anything if you have not even been to the park? When you come in calling the park "crap" or "it sucks", it's obvious to me who the real biased person is here! At least I have been and I can say the park is severely short on thrills and spill. I am NOT blind to that fact, but what little they did certainly does not suck. And yes, I will continue burning my money at Disney as often as I want and royally get off doing so, so don't even attempt to turn this into a personal attack, because I am not denying what you are saying... just stating that the park does not "suck" to some of us who enjoy it.

• Sock Puppet

How can you confirm anything if you have not even been to the park? When you come in calling the park "crap" or "it sucks", it's obvious to me who the real biased person is here!
    I'm not confirming anything. I'm saying that from my vantage point it would be a waste of time for me to visit the park until there is a substantial reason to do so. I would recommend that anybody thinking about flying Internationally to HKDL would be better served diverting their vacation to Tokyo Disneyland.

Unless you are a hardcore Disney fan with a lot of money to burn, HKDL is not for you. I don't think I need to visit the park to say that. If I had money to burn I would visit HKDL only out of curiosity, and even then it would be on the tail end of a visit to TDR.

These kinds of opinions are important to potential International visitors. Like I said, I'm not going to drop 3 grand to visit a place I'm not that interested in in the first place.

As far as mainland visitors go it takes a lot less to visit the park than someone flying in from another country. A lot of them have actually visited the park and were unhappy with it. If I lived in China I would probably buy an annual pass to HKDL, only because it would be the only game in town and I'd be that much of a fan.

But in true annual passholder fashion, I would complain until the end of time, just as I do in Anaheim.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Acetone View Post
    I'm not confirming anything.
    You just said the report confirms what you "already knew". Whatever that might be. Sounds like you are making a confirmation IMO..
    Unless you are a hardcore Disney fan with a lot of money to burn..
    Stop right there... FYI... I am a flight crew member. I go to Hong Kong on working flights, and my company pays my lodging. I barely make $2,800 a month after taxes. I have no money to burn. My job affords me the chance to enjoy the disney parks as cheap as possible. Reason why I bought the VALUE AP for HKDL..so I can go as often as I can to catch up with what's happening there seasonally and report it back to those who might be interested or care to know more about the park. I do this on my time off and on my own initiative without getting compensated in any way. If you have the money to burn but choose not to go to HKDL, then that is your prerrogative. But it would be best if you discovered the park's flaws and virtues on your own, instead of based on what the Press or people on websites feed you.

Like I said, I'm not going to drop 3 grand to visit a place I'm not that interested in in the first place.
    Well now you are talkin... you are "not interested" in HKDL. I can respect that, but I believe that based on you lack of interest, you should respect the fact that I am also "not interested" in your negativity about a park you have not been nor care to visit, when I am here to tell you that there is a little quality found among the tragedy of it all.

As far as mainland visitors go it takes a lot less to visit the park than someone flying in from another country. A lot of them have actually visited the park and were unhappy with it.
    Show me a poll, with numbers. Again... seeing how much the guests I see there enjoy themselves, and their faces of glee when they see Mickey, it's hard to believe the extensive unhappiness of guests who have been to the park. But I realize you can't please everyone... as someone is always bound to complain.
    But in true annual passholder fashion, I would complain until the end of time, just as I do in Anaheim.
    In regards to HKDL and as an APer there... I can only complain about the size of the park, lack of Frontierland, and the small number of attractions. Other than that, the park excels in theme, cleanliness, etc. The quality we all expect from Disney in regards to shows, rides and entertainment happens to be there, especially now that they are making major strides with their seasonal overlays.. Maybe if you went, you would see the attributes I see.

• Sock Puppet

Okay, you got me there. I meant that while I can't speak from the view of someone who has been to the park, the report contributes to my opinion that it's not a place worth flying to.
    But it would be best if you discovered the park's flaws and virtues on your own, instead of based on what the Press or people on websites feed you.
    No, it would be pretty bad to discover the park's flaws and virtues on your own. You'll end up having a pretty horrible vacation.

It's smarter to see what people have to say about the place before comitting to such a massive trip. See what the press, other Disney fans who are into the novelty of being among the first, and locals have to say first.

You are in a special position that most people are not in. You are afforded a chance to visit many neat places because of your job. That's awesome. I'm jealous. The cost associated with your Hong Kong DL trips are low compared to others who have to foot the bill themselves. If I were in your position I would probably have a more favorable view of the park.

In fact, because you speak from the position of someone who gets free flight because of work, your opinion isn't that valuable to someone who has to spend 3 grand to visit HKDL. I live about 5 minutes way from Disneyland in Anaheim, and my opinion won't mean as much to a family that has to fly from New York or something. Disneyland is $154 a year for me, but might be 2 grand a year for someone else.

Well now you are talkin... you are "not interested" in HKDL. I can respect that, but I believe that based on you lack of interest, you should respect the fact that I am also "not interested" in your negativity about a park you have not been nor care to visit
    Nothing but negativity surrounds this park.

Show me a poll, with numbers. Again... seeing how much the guests I see there enjoy themselves, and their faces of glee when they see Mickey, it's hard to believe the extensive unhappiness of guests who have been to the park. But I realize you can't please everyone... as someone is always bound to complain.
    Of course you are going to make the most of your vacation. I would probably have fun at HKDL too. I'm not going to walk around crying and whining about it in the line for Space Mountain. You wait until you get home for that.

The numbers say it all though. HKDL isn't meeting projections.

Maybe if you went, you would see the attributes I see.
    Sorry, but I will not visit a park that labels water fountains as attractions. That is just sad.

• Minion

My premium AP costs me HK$1,800.

now it costs me a little less to renew it, only HK$1,500.

If i renew it, i pay HK$300 less and in return i get IASW for 2008.

more value for the money, isn't it?

LOL

Don't just let them to get away with it! Being a consumer, tell them what you expect and not the other way around. It is "Them" who need your money.

Attendance figure is already a progress report by the Consumers.

Let's see how they are going to improve the situation.

I am sure they want more $, and to get more $ , they need to put in more effort and fill up all those holes (insufficient parts).

time to move on.......Macau...good idea.....here i come macau!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    there is one popular chinese saying "有麝自然香" "When you have musk, you will automatically have fragrance"

which has similar meaning as "Good wine needs no bush"!

Some Day One Day........I hope i can use
    "有麝自然香" to describe Hong Kong Disneyland (the theme park)
    Last edited by PennysBayChronicle; 09-13-2007 at 01:26 AM.

• Hola Yola!

I'm in Australia where the park gets a decent amount of promotion and I have to say that I have no desire to visit. The flights are not that expensive and I have cousins in HK meaning I wouldn't have to pay for accomodation so all up in wouldn't be a terribly expensive vacation, but I'd rather put that money toward a trip to any of the other Disney resorts. So I have to really side with Acetone on this one: I know what's there and I know it's not much. IMO, you'd have to either be a rabid Disney fan for whom the fact it's a Disney resort you haven't visited is enough to entice you to spend big bucks or simply not be able to afford to go to a different resort to book a HKDL holiday from overseas.

I'd even go so far as to say I feel sorry for Australians who buy a HKDL package thinking that they're going to something on the level of all the other Disneylands. That the theming is good and it's clean is all great, but most people don't appreciate that on its own. The park has 1 maybe 2 E-tickets, 2 decent shows and a handful of what pass for smaller kids attractions at the other Magic Kingdoms. If HK locals are underwhelmed by the place I can only imagine what people who paid thousands of dollars to take their families to the park from overseas would feel.

• Banned User

That is fine and dandy Sir Cliff... but my point is that anyone who chooses not go to, then should not have the right to rate the place since they have not been. I think I have been pretty vocal about the need for expansion at HKDL and NO, it's not worth going there just for that. But I will always argue that the park is not a total loss. You *can* have fun there. Very little but it can be had.

• Hola Yola!

Yeah, I do agree that you can't really make great claims about the quality of the place without visiting.

• Minion

That's very understandable.

I would not fly to Australia just to visit that pathetic Warner Brothers Movie World at Gold Coast.

LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast