Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Watch Your Language

HKDL gets preliminary green light for expansion

hot from the press and as reported by Hong Kong Disney Blog

Frederick Ma, Secretary for Commerce and Econonomic Development told reporters that HK Government is going to give the preliminary green light for HKDL's expansion.

But the funding would have to be approved by Hong Kong Legislative Council. He expects legislator would do the right thing for Hong Kong. he also says that it is for the best interest of Hong Kong as well as Hongkongers that HK government should inject capital for further expansion at Hong Kong Disneyland.

Regarding Phase 2 expansion, that is the 2nd park at the Resort would be different in theming than the 1st Park (that is Hong Kong Disneyland), and it will be decided later on.

Re: HKDL gets preliminary green light for expansion

Thanks for the info!

Does this include injecting more into the current park or will this be financing a new park only?
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    Thanks for the info!

Does this include injecting more into the current park or will this be financing a new park only?
    Probably both.

My understanding is that 1st park will be expanded and there will be plan for 2nd Park

the secretary for commerce and economic development said details will be worked out later.

Gotcha
    Very positive news, thanks for sharing.

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Its a repeat of HKDL post online in the HKStandard:
    http://www.hkstandard.com.hk/news_de...008&con_type=3

• Sock Puppet

More water fountain play areas in the works? They sure do love their water fountain play areas over there.

• Yo!

That's because it's a VERY warm climate, and with no water-based attractions that actually are made to get you wet, it seems like it was needed.

Anyways, this is really great news for HK!
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    That's because it's a VERY warm climate, and with no water-based attractions that actually are made to get you wet, it seems like it was needed.
    I hear Splash Mountain is also pretty good at doing that

• Hola Yola!

Ah, but you see they can't built it at HKDL for cultural reasons. Just think of all the great attractions the park would have if the Hong Kongers weren't so closed minded!

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I aren't certain what you mean, Sir Cliff, duckling, by saying an attraction like Splash Mountain would violate any of Hong Kong's cultural sensativities. However, if the original concept for the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction goes forward, there will be a big flume drop at the end of it. It would be another example of two attractions combined into one--sort of like what they did with their Jungle Cruise, which has elements of Rivers of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    Ah, but you see they can't built it at HKDL for cultural reasons. Just think of all the great attractions the park would have if the Hong Kongers weren't so closed minded!
    That was a joke right Sir Cliff? I really can't tell if you are serious or joking..

• Hola Yola!

Yeah, it was a joke. Just playing on the fact that argument was made about things like Haunted Mansion and, of course, they just installed quite a successful temporary haunted house attraction recently proving that argument was rubbish.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    Yeah, it was a joke. Just playing on the fact that argument was made about things like Haunted Mansion and, of course, they just installed quite a successful temporary haunted house attraction recently proving that argument was rubbish.
    Indeed they did. They also tried to make the press think that the Chinese were more interested in photo ops than attractions. That turned out NOT to be true and they are now in a battle with Ocean Park which continues to reinvent itself and add new shows and rides to successfully steal visitors from Disney. Rather than waiting on the Chinese govt., Disney should inject a little of their own capital into this beautiful, but boring, park!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Indeed they did. They also tried to make the press think that the Chinese were more interested in photo ops than attractions. That turned out NOT to be true and they are now in a battle with Ocean Park which continues to reinvent itself and add new shows and rides to successfully steal visitors from Disney. Rather than waiting on the Chinese govt., Disney should inject a little of their own capital into this beautiful, but boring, park!

But with the Gov't holding a majority of the percentage of the park, is Disney able to make a large investment for expansion without the backing and approval of the Gov't? Or can Disney call the shots on what/how much gets invested?

If not, then waiting for the Chinese Gov't may be a mandatory step before proceeding with their own creaitive ideas.
    Last edited by ROBONICS95; 11-05-2007 at 03:55 PM.

HKDL is a join venture of Disney and HK government. If only Disney invest more money and HKG not coming up with the same amount to match, HKG will lose their status as the larger shareholder. HKG does not want to lose the power to make final decisions, that's the reason why Disney can't just invest more in HKDL alone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast