• Watch Your Language

Frederick ma talks about Expansion of HKDL during an interview on TV

Frederick Ma, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development talks about expansion of HKDL during an interview on local TV.

He said that it is not an easy decision for Hong Kong Government to make. "we are going to look at it from a business perspective. we need to consider many aspects of our project, such as return of investment etc...it is very complex. If we really decide to inject further capital into expanding HKDL, we will definitely put in more restrictive commercial terms and conditions for our partner, that is, the Walt Disney Company to comply, such as the requirements for more transparencies and accountabilities etc..."
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 12-04-2007 at 10:44 AM.

• Banned User

Re: Frederick ma talks about Expansion of HKDL during an interview on TV

Is this because Disney tricked them into footing most of the bill the first time around and the park has turned out to be a failure?

I think the only way to fix the park is to expand it. I understand that they have to weigh a bunch of options, but they should pick up their feet a little.

• Minion

ORGOCH: So, now we all knows what the hold up's 'bout. One side's waitin' fer the other one ta blink!!

• Hola Yola!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    Is this because Disney tricked them into footing most of the bill the first time around and the park has turned out to be a failure?
    Yes, I remember thinking how pissed Hong Kongers were going to be when they realised they'd spent so much on HKDL and got so little in return. The HK government spent almost $1 billion more on the project than Disney didn't they?

Either way, their only options seem to be either expanding or closing it as attendance is not exactly going in the right direction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    Yes, I remember thinking how pissed Hong Kongers were going to be when they realised they'd spent so much on HKDL and got so little in return. The HK government spent almost $1 billion more on the project than Disney didn't they?

Either way, their only options seem to be either expanding or closing it as attendance is not exactly going in the right direction.
    Closing it seems a bit harsh. Then again, Disneyland Paris was also on the brink of closure had attendance not improved for the park.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• HKDL fan

Originally Posted by Sir_Cliff

Closing this theme park should be a NO, NO option. Since what Hong Kongers doesn't want had happened[spending almost $1 billion] so Hong kong government should expand it and let Hong Kongers know what had been done is right.
    My Web Site - RedBubble Site

~ Going to HKDL in 2015 [10th Anniversary] ~

Looking Forward To HKDL's Expansion

akaytrinity.com

• Minion

ORDDU: If Hong Kong Disneyland were ever to close its gates, it would only make the Disney Company look bad--not Hong Kong. So, the Disney Company actually has more of an incentive to keep this place open than one might think.

The issue is that as HK Govt is a very slow decision maker unlike a normal enterprise. By the time it makes a decision, it will be at least Spring/Summer 2008.

Most other companies would have made a decision one way or the other by now.

• Minion

ORGOCH: Well, I knows LOTS a way ta git 'em movin'--only it means castin' spells an' the like. Anybody wanna' help me out with a hex er two???

• Hola Yola!

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Closing it seems a bit harsh. Then again, Disneyland Paris was also on the brink of closure had attendance not improved for the park.
    I'm not saying they should close it, but just leaving it as is for the forseable future doesn't seem like a viable option. So they really need to either commit to investing in the resort or just give up and walk away rather than umming and ahhing for more time on whether to commit more resources. As Disney and the HK gvt would lose so much face if the resort closed I doubt it will, but the delays are frustrating and not helping the situation and I'm sure Asa is right that it has to do with the long time it takes government to make decisions on major investments compared to private enterprise.

Disneyland Paris isn't actually a bad example to hold up to HKDL. It was underperforming and in a far worse financial situation that I believe HKDL is in, yet after the (far more expansive) park opened to low attendance they plowed millions more into building Space Mountain, Indiana Jones Coaster and the Casey Jnr thing. This helped attendance rise and the resort to get into the black... until the arrival of WDS. Now with WDS in trouble they're plowing millions more into building Crush's Coaster, Stitch and Tower of Terror along with some placemaking projects.

I sure hope HKDL won't rush into building the second gate until the first gate is up to standard.

The second gate can wait, unless they want to build a water park.

• Minion

ORGOCH: Well, good Lord! Don't tell 'em they don't have ta rush around after the way they's been draggin' their danged feet fer so long!! I say they needs ta start goin' at a break neck pace if'n they wanna' bring in the dough--sour as it is!!!

• HKDL fan

Originally Posted by Asa
    I sure hope HKDL won't rush into building the second gate until the first gate is up to standard.

The second gate can wait, unless they want to build a water park.
    Definitely they have to work on the first park till it is a success before going into a second gate. Even if they want to build a water park. Solve the problems in front first and not creating more problems.
    My Web Site - RedBubble Site

~ Going to HKDL in 2015 [10th Anniversary] ~

Looking Forward To HKDL's Expansion

akaytrinity.com