First time to Hong Kong DL--Help??

I'm going an Atlantis Events Cruise in March of 2009, and am going to spend 3 full days before departure in Hong Kong--one of those at Hong Kong Disneyland.

Any suggestions for my first trip to this Disney Park?? (I've been to DL more times than I can count, WDW 19 times, and both Tokyo and Paris once)

I've also been kicking around staying at the Disneyland Hotel (rather than the Peninsula)--although The Peninsula is closer to my ultimate departure point for the ship.

Also--this will be my first trip to Hong Kong; any ideas, suggestions, and "can't miss" things there for my group and I???

Thanks!!
    Michael.

• Minion

Re: First time to Hong Kong DL--Help??

Be prepared for its small size and low attraction count, and you won't be disappointed. Don't know if I would drop the Peninsula reservation, as it's one of the top hotels in the world. But I guess it's up to you; do you prefer unmatched luxury and comfort, or a magical and themed experience?
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

From what I've read, I sort of expected the smaller size and attraction count--as for the hotel stays--I have stayed at suites both on Disney Properties and off.

I will say I'm leaning more toward The Peninsula just because it is in the population center, and better located than the park for city exploration. If I were going to Hong Kong just for Disneyland, I'd probably get a suite in the DLH--as it is, the suite at the DLH is 6000 HKD vs. 5280 HKD for the suite at The Peninsula (for a minimum of 2 nights) over 10% off :-)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mdburd View Post
    the suite at the DLH is 6000 HKD vs. 5280 HKD for the suite at The Peninsula (for a minimum of 2 nights) over 10% off :-)
    What a deal!
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

DO NOT change your reservation for the Peninsula to go stay at HKDL Hotel.

HKDL will not take you more than a full day to see it all and even repeat some attractions. The park is very small, and I would suggest you leave no stone unturned so you can fully take advantage of your day there. Do everything, all rides, shows, parade and end the day with the fireworks (view from the hub for best experience). The only way I would advise to stay at one of the resorts at HKDL would be if you were pressed for time. But since you are going to be in HK for a few days.. then relax, enjoy the Peninsula, HKDL for one day and dedicate the rest of your free time to explore what HK has to offer... and those touristy "must do" spots, like Victoria Peak and the Star Ferry ride across the water, Stanley Market, shopping in Causeway Bay area and Kowloon, Walk of Fame area at night when the city lights up in lights and lasers, The Giant Buddah...and many other areas. Ocean Park, the original theme park of HK is a 50%-50% deal... Nice to visit but nothing to cry about if you miss.

As for HKDL... again, get there when the park opens and start your day... If you do a lot by 3pm...then treat yourself to a short walk over to the Hotels and check them out. The Hollywood Hotel is quite art-deco nice! To return to the park, take the free resort bus back to the main drop off area by the promenade, then enjoy the park in the late afternoon and evening, when it is at it's best. HKDL has benefitted from the more polished ways of Disney building new parks, and this little park does have beautiful theming and lovely photo spots. Take advantage of your daytime to enjoy that aspect of the park as well.

Definitely, keep your reservation at the Penn. Take the train out early and be there when the park opens and you'll finish everything easily. As TDLFAN suggested: Buddha and Victoria Peak. Do Victoria Peak at night and pay for a pic of you with the nightime lit skyline. It's beautiful. Don't bother with the wax museum up there. You can take the ferry back and forth and take note of the elevated pedestrian walkways on the Island, and you must ride the worlds longest escalator (do it in the afternoon as it goes the direction with rush hour foot traffic) and then you'll walk down. Go to the Goldfish market and the Bird Market and the Flower Market--they're all within walking distance of each other. Don't forget Nathan Road, and at nighttime it is very colorful. And I'm pretty sure it's your hotel that has the really cool bar with a magnificent view of HK Island and the men's room which has the urinals against windows, so it's like you're peeing into infinity. And if you get the chance head out to Aberdeen and haggle for a boat tour of the water where all the boat people live--interesting experience. Have fun!

As a HK resident, I advise you stanley , Tai Ping peak , vitoria harbour , Mongkok , Tsim Sha Tsui , Lamtau Island ,Causwaybay , and some other area sugguested by micechat members. Of course according what do you want to see in hk.

You should bear in mind the HK$6,000 suite in DLH is their BEST suite at the property, while the HK$5280 suite in Peninsula is still not their best. If you could spend 3 nights in HK, then do DLH one night and Peninsula two nights.

How many people are there in your group? If you have small children, DLH is surely a better option.

I would also do the "afternoon tea" at the Penninsula. It is well worth the money.
    Stop by some of the non-touristy places as well. Go to this website and hunt around. There are a lot of interesting places to see in the New Territories, and they aren't usually very crowded. http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/whatsnew/a...ard_index.html

I would also buy an Octopus ticket. Loomis has mentioned this before. I think they are HK$100 http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/airport_express/tf_index.html has information about the cost of "special" tickets.

But most importantly, Try the egg tarts!

Quote Originally Posted by mdburd View Post
    I'm going an Atlantis Events Cruise in March of 2009, and am going to spend 3 full days before departure in Hong Kong--one of those at Hong Kong Disneyland.

Any suggestions for my first trip to this Disney Park?? (I've been to DL more times than I can count, WDW 19 times, and both Tokyo and Paris once)

I've also been kicking around staying at the Disneyland Hotel (rather than the Peninsula)--although The Peninsula is closer to my ultimate departure point for the ship.

Also--this will be my first trip to Hong Kong; any ideas, suggestions, and "can't miss" things there for my group and I???

Thanks!!
    Michael.
    Michael,
    I went about 2 years ago. Try this link to my pics. Have fun. Yes the park is very small but pretty cool. Adventureland seems to be bigger there. Eating roast duck and then taking pictures with Donald was weird.
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=kaaj80x.5bfc4zs5&x=0&y=gf5s78

if this doesn't work send me your email and I'll send in invite..Have fun
    Garrett

• Minion

ORWEN: (Gasp!) Well, I would think you SHOULD feel weird, you canibalistic duckling, you!!! Feasting away on one of your own kind!!! How could you?! No wonder Daisy hasn't been seen since!!!! And to think you even had the nerve to get a picture with her boyfriend later on!!! I don't think I'm ever going to forget or forgive you for such a travesty!!!

Besides the above useful tips,you can consider watching the fantastic outdoor media show,"A Symphony of Lights",which staged every night at 8:00 p.m at the Victoria Habour.I think the best viewing locations is along the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront between the Avenue of Stars and the Kong Kong Cultural Centre.