• Watch Your Language

Harbour Fest, Disneyland top waste survey, Standard News

Monday, December 31, 2007

The Harbour Fest fiasco in 2003 was the most wasteful use of government funds for the 10 years since the handover, a survey has found. Momentum 107, a concern group founded this June by independent Sai Kung district councillor Raymond Ho Man-kit, collected votes from 500 people, and found 93 percent of people thought Harbour Fest, which used more than HK$100 million, was the most unwise use of public money.
    "We were quite shocked ourselves when Harbour Fest popped up. It left a lasting image in the minds of the people as it was such a wasteful event," Ho said.

The main organizer, former InvestHK director-general Mike Rowse, was fined HK$156,000 for his role in the event that led to the government losing public money.

Ranking second, as chosen by 89 percent of voters, was the government's investment of public money into building Hong Kong Disneyland, while the development of Cyberport was third at 75 percent.
    Source: Standard News

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Harbour Fest, Disneyland top waste survey, Standard News

The headline to this thread says "Disneyland top waste survey". The body reads: "Ranking second, as chosen by 89 percent of voters, was the government's investment of public money into building Hong Kong Disneyland"

Plus, isn't 89% + 75% ...erm...slightly more than 100%?

With stats skills like that, no wonder gate stats at the park look bad! Surely they could arrange it so that there are 327% of guests through the gate each day?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Watch Your Language

you go talk to HK Standard News.

Loomis, I know what you are thinking. You are thinking porportionately. I think they calculate, the popular percentage out of total survey. For eg harborfest thought it was #1 waste out of total surveyed that thought harborfest was a waste(#1+ all the other rankings of harborfest) I hope that clarifies things.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by mclubber View Post
    Loomis, I know what you are thinking. You are thinking porportionately. I think they calculate, the popular percentage out of total survey. For eg harborfest thought it was #1 waste out of total surveyed that thought harborfest was a waste(#1+ all the other rankings of harborfest) I hope that clarifies things.

It does but my maths still sucks
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks