Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 130
  1. #46

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: You have our support, too, Ride Warrior, dear. Feel free to let us know what you've heard because we enjoy mulling over the speculations. A lot of them actually DO come true. In this particular case, Hong Kong Disneyland NEEDS them to come true!
    Success is NOT an option for HKDL. It's continue to invest, or die. Neither the government nor Disney wish to blow away the substantial investments that each has already made.

    I'll definitely keep you apprised as new news comes to light and new rumors surface. Wish you, my bewitching lovelies, to do the same with me.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  2. #47

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    You have my support...
    Thanks buddy. You have my mutual support as well.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  3. #48

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    645

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Absolutely not. The government would not prevent any effort on Disney's part to turn the park around. I believe that we'll see big things happening between 2009 and 2010.

    If the percentage of ownership would change based on disney's increased investment, the government would likely renegotiate in order to keep it close as possible to the current ratio. The current percentage ratio would bring plenty of return profit gains should said investment pay off. The implementation of current runored attractions would more than get the park on it's feet. Plus, the percentage may naturally remain the same anyway.
    The big problem is that to maintain the current ownership ratio, then BOTH WDC and HK govt will have to invest a similar amount. While WDC maybe willing, the HK govt will likely find strong resistance in the legislative council, which has the power to disapprove such funding.

    In order to gain Legco approval, WDC and HK govt will have to come up with a definite plan and crowd projection for Legco and the public to review, which, as far as I know, is not the way WDC like to do things.

    The solution I think is for HK govt to give up its shares in the project altogether and offload it to a private concern.

  4. #49

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    The big problem is that to maintain the current ownership ratio, then BOTH WDC and HK govt will have to invest a similar amount. While WDC maybe willing, the HK govt will likely find strong resistance in the legislative council, which has the power to disapprove such funding.

    In order to gain Legco approval, WDC and HK govt will have to come up with a definite plan and crowd projection for Legco and the public to review, which, as far as I know, is not the way WDC like to do things.

    The solution I think is for HK govt to give up its shares in the project altogether and offload it to a private concern.
    You have a very good idea here, Asa. The selling off of government shares to a private concern recoup investment monies and relieve PR related road blocks. That is, this would e doable so long as the private concern that buys the majority of HKDL shares isn't a competitor such as GE/Universal.

    I honestly think that Disney allow the government to keep it's current pecentage of shares. There's simply no obsticle that's going to doom HKDL to perminant failure and obscurity.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  5. #50

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    My opinion having visited HKDL, WDW, DLR and TDR is that HKDL is more of a "starter" or introducer to theme parks.

    It's great for small kids and families, being small and easier covered within a day, but there is no great incentive to visit it again and again. As such, after bringing my son there 2 years ago, I am now planning a trip to TDR.

    HKDL needs to have more attractions before I'll go again, even though I regularly go there for business.

  6. #51

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Announcement was made the same day a report was issued by the HK government that HKDL only about 4 million visitors in its second year. Lower than the 5.2 million in its first year. And much much lower than the 5.6 million it projected at the beginning.

    While the government tried to put a positive spin on things, it was plain that the report was not good news at a time when it is being accused of wasting money on other unrelated public projects and neglected basic things like a minimum wage law and decent childcare facilities.

    Legislators proceeded to slap the park on the wrist and HKDL was 'forced' to announce four new attractions. It was pretty sad actually, cos I think they wanted to wait and have a proper big announcement.

    Cheers,
    Joyce

  7. #52

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Quote Originally Posted by samshio View Post
    My opinion having visited HKDL, WDW, DLR and TDR is that HKDL is more of a "starter" or introducer to theme parks.

    It's great for small kids and families, being small and easier covered within a day, but there is no great incentive to visit it again and again. As such, after bringing my son there 2 years ago, I am now planning a trip to TDR.

    HKDL needs to have more attractions before I'll go again, even though I regularly go there for business.
    Most of the potential repeat guests have all essentially seen everything there is to see at HKDL. There is little reason for anyone to return after a first visit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Announcement was made the same day a report was issued by the HK government that HKDL only about 4 million visitors in its second year. Lower than the 5.2 million in its first year. And much much lower than the 5.6 million it projected at the beginning.

    While the government tried to put a positive spin on things, it was plain that the report was not good news at a time when it is being accused of wasting money on other unrelated public projects and neglected basic things like a minimum wage law and decent childcare facilities.

    Legislators proceeded to slap the park on the wrist and HKDL was 'forced' to announce four new attractions. It was pretty sad actually, cos I think they wanted to wait and have a proper big announcement.

    Cheers,
    Joyce
    Would anyone expect anymore than these lackluster results from a park that was built on the cheap, with so little to offer? A greater number of rides (especially headliners) and shows will increase repeat (and more frequent) visits among guests from China, Hong Kong and abroad. Significant new offerings each year will also serve to help in the same capacity. Original or non-cloned established attractions will increas the demographic abroad to attend.

    Regardless of what it is up against (as I've said before), I think that Disney will hasten the pace of adding quality rides and shows following the opening of IASW.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  8. #53

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Add TDS's Raging Spirits coaster to the list of rumored attractions for HKDL.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-11-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  9. #54

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    223

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Has anyone read this blog called Blue Sky Disney?

    It has some interesting insider info about HKDL.

    Here is the link.

  10. #55

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Morva in the Land of Prydain
    Posts
    4,513

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    ORDDU: Thank you for pointing us in the right direction, Wishyouwell, duckling. My sisters and I just stopped stirring over a hot, steamy cauldron long enough to conjur up the site you recommened. What we read there was enough to make a smile.

    ORWEN: Just imagine what it'll do for Loomis--and Katsmom!!!

    ORGOGH: Got TDLFAN?

  11. #56

    • Vegetarian Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    Has anyone read this blog called Blue Sky Disney?

    It has some interesting insider info about HKDL.

    Here is the link.
    yes, I was just heading over to point that out. Well beaten!

    However this, and many of the "rumours" mentioned here, sound identical to "news" Blueskydisney posted aaaages ago.

    Not to be snobbish, as I do have a vested interest in newsmongering here (click my links, click my links, click my links!), but this does sound like a lot of educated guesswork to me. (Much recapping of the last few months, followed by lots of "talks of.."). Perhaps I'm too cynical now, as I have had my hopes dashed by these rumours one too many times.

    Pirates Mountain, Downtown etc are all rumours that have been circulating since before the park opened. Lord knows how long we've all be discussing some of those things in this very forum!

    Ah to hell with it! I'll get excited again, just don't stare at me for weeping when it all turns out to be fizzle.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks


  12. #57

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    299

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    I would love it if these rumours were true! But as Loomis said, they have been around for a while. I'm of the mind that I will believe it when I see it. Having said that, I WANT to know once and for all what is happening behind Adventure land. Explosive storage my Eye!
    I want to get my hopes up, but I'm an easy one to cry. I do every time I see those fireworks at the end of the day. I think I'll wait until an "official"* announcement.

    *(The ones I read on HKDLSOURCE.Com--our most trusted Hong Kong Disneyland news source)

  13. #58

    • Hola Yola!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Köln, Germany
    Posts
    260

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Yeah, I'm of exactly the same mind as Loomis and Katsmom. Hopefully it's true, but these are all pretty much exactly the same rumours we've been reading all along.

    The timeframe of it also seemed too far off for this to be anything close to settled. An announcement apparently won't come for more than a year and construction would start another six months or so after that. A lot could change in that time!

  14. #59

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    Has anyone read this blog called Blue Sky Disney?

    It has some interesting insider info about HKDL.

    Here is the link.
    Yes. Blue Sky Disney is one of the sights that I included a link to in the first post of this thread. It is an exceptional site and I believe very much on taget with it's predictions. The future is looking brighter for HKDL all the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Thank you for pointing us in the right direction, Wishyouwell, duckling. My sisters and I just stopped stirring over a hot, steamy cauldron long enough to conjur up the site you recommened. What we read there was enough to make a smile.

    ORWEN: Just imagine what it'll do for Loomis--and Katsmom!!!

    ORGOGH: Got TDLFAN?
    Loomis, Katsmom and Sir Cliff each feel Jilted due to the relative inactivity and lack of investment since the parks opening. Their spirits are starting to rise again - though slowly. They;ll start beaming from ear to ear next year. After all, Disney didn't build Rome in a day.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  15. #60

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    Re: It's A "Different" Small World + Rumored Major Attractions + Downtown Disney

    Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    yes, I was just heading over to point that out. Well beaten!

    However this, and many of the "rumours" mentioned here, sound identical to "news" Blueskydisney posted aaaages ago.

    Not to be snobbish, as I do have a vested interest in newsmongering here (click my links, click my links, click my links!), but this does sound like a lot of educated guesswork to me. (Much recapping of the last few months, followed by lots of "talks of.."). Perhaps I'm too cynical now, as I have had my hopes dashed by these rumours one too many times.

    Pirates Mountain, Downtown etc are all rumours that have been circulating since before the park opened. Lord knows how long we've all be discussing some of those things in this very forum!

    Ah to hell with it! I'll get excited again, just don't stare at me for weeping when it all turns out to be fizzle.


    The new attractions are not going to fizzle this time - the sparks are going to ignite and catch fire!

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsmom View Post
    I would love it if these rumours were true! But as Loomis said, they have been around for a while. I'm of the mind that I will believe it when I see it. Having said that, I WANT to know once and for all what is happening behind Adventure land. Explosive storage my Eye!
    I want to get my hopes up, but I'm an easy one to cry. I do every time I see those fireworks at the end of the day. I think I'll wait until an "official"* announcement.

    *(The ones I read on HKDLSOURCE.Com--our most trusted Hong Kong Disneyland news source)
    HKDKSOURCE have their proverbial noses up the keasters of Disney and the Hong Kong government. In line with the first post in this thread, we should start hearing formal announcements in 2009, and things hould really start flourishing in 2010. This may sound far off, but it really isn't. It's a better timeline than what previously existed - which was the complete lack of one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    Yeah, I'm of exactly the same mind as Loomis and Katsmom. Hopefully it's true, but these are all pretty much exactly the same rumours we've been reading all along.

    The timeframe of it also seemed too far off for this to be anything close to settled. An announcement apparently won't come for more than a year and construction would start another six months or so after that. A lot could change in that time!
    Hang in there Sir Cliff. Disney and Hong Kong officials know that an alarming numer of people (like you) are losing interest and hope. The second year of a theme park usually suffers from low attendance - but not to the degree that HKDL has underperformed. These lackluster figures (way beneath targeted expectations) have Disney and Hong Kong worried. Believe me, they are getting their collective butts going. The rour little attractions being put into place are not permanent. They are only short term placeholders until Disney has time to add the biggies.

    In 2009, several major attractions will likely be announced at once, as opposed to the traditional protocol off publicizing one per year. Odds are, attractions will be built every year between 2009 and 20012. We should hear the announcement of a second theme park in 2012 or 13.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-12-2008 at 04:17 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 09:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •