Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dear Katsmom

• Minion

Dear Katsmom

Dear Katsmom:

Since you go to Hong Kong Disneyland all the time and since you probably know more about that pretty little park than anybody and since MiceChat doesn't have a Dear Abby section, I thought it would be nice to have a regular column here where we could all ask you various quetions about what's going on over there. (Hope you don't mind--I mean, you won't be getting paid to answer any questions like Dear Abby always did--even though the questions I'd like you to answer are MUCH more important than anything anybody ever asked Abby.)

Anyway, since this was my idea, I'm going to ask you a question first. I would like to know if there are any murals of Sleeping Beauty as you walk through the main arch way of her castle. The castle in Anaheim, CA has two--one on the left and one on the right just before you leave the rear archway. I was thinking Hong Kong Disneyland ought to have those same murals on display.

Thank you for your time.

Hugs and Kisses,
    Orwen

Re: Dear Katsmom

Dear Orwen,

Saddly there are no murals. They do have the drawbridge release and the false gate hanging from the ceiling. There are three doors in the arch. The one on the left as you enter Fantasy Land, leads to an area where they store the stage steps for events (like the upcoming CNY show). I have no idea where the one on the right leads. I've never seen it open, and the lock on that door isn't shiny from use like the one on the left is. The final door is behind the drawbridge release. Again, I have no idea what is behind door number three, but it would have to be something small because it is not a "normal" sized door.
    This castle reminds me of the real deal when you walk through.

The arch isn't that long either. I'll pace it off when I go again next week, but I'd have to guess that it is no more than 9 to 10 feet long.

Once before we chatted on this forum about a Castle walkthrough. I would have to guess there wouldn't be enough room for another ride in the Left hand side of the castle for anything big. But maybe a room from the castle would work. I would guess the floor space in that side is smaller than the princess gift shop.

And for the record, I would be happy to answer questions anyone has as long as I know the answer. And sometimes even when I don't know the answer I'll make a wild guess at it. Ask away! (as long as I get to keep the dark glasses and my cape that is!)

Katsmom

• Minion

Dear Katsmom:

First, I'd like to thank you for indulging Orwen as you have. Actually, this latest idea of hers is a rather good one. After all, you ARE the closest thing we all have to a regular visitor/guest over there and all your reports are read with much interest.

Now it's MY turn to ask a question. This one has to do with the Autopia in Tomorrowland. How long of a ride would you estimate it to be? The track looks much longer than any of the previous versions of this ride. Then again, appearances from a map can be deceiving. Is there just the one track that all the cars and guests cruise along upon? Or, are there two different tracks for two different riding experiences?

Thank you for your help on this, dear.

Sincerely,

Orddu

Orddu,
    Tricky question. But I'll try to answer it. There are three tracks, and they are each a different length. If I remember correctly, the one in the middle is the shortest. The one to the left hand side as you come down the steps is the longest. The one on the right goes over Space mountain and has a wonderful view of the park.

The guests effectively control the speed, and you can stop the cars if you want to. (We like to stop over tomorrowland and watch the people go by) 2 weeks ago there was a traffic jam over the bridge by tomorrowland (far right queue), everyone had stopped to watch the fireworks!

When the park isn't busy and I drive with the peddle to the floor, it's around 5 to 7 minutes, When It's busy it is usually a lot slower. When my little one drives and I give it the gas, I'd have to guess around 7 to 10 minutes.

When the park is packed, they open all 3 tracks. Most days it is only 2 tracks though. Last week when the park was absolutly dead, there was one track. It was a good deception: wait 15 to 20 minutes to ride the cars, but when we got to the front of the queue, well, I could see the reason for the wait!

If you are a cute young child, you will get a driving license. If you're an old doll like me, you can beg for one and maybe the cast members will reluctantly hand it over. The problem here is, you must ask. It's not automatic, and my little one has helped a few children get their license.

A rather vague answer to your question I know, but the ride really does depend upon the guests (cooperation).

My reports, what reports????Did some one let the Kat out of the bag?

Katsmom
    Last edited by Katsmom; 01-11-2008 at 06:50 PM.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Dear Katsmom,

Where do babies come from?

Thanks,

Innocent in Australia
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Minion

Dear Katsmom:

Tell Loomis I'll be more than glad to answer his question for you--if he promises to be a good boy.

In the meantime, I want to thank you for answering my question up there about the Autpia.

Also, no one had to let the kat out of the bag because, well, some things are easy for a witch to conjur up inside her crystal ball. But don't worry. Your secret is safe with me!!

Yours truly,

Orddu

Dear Innocent,
    I've been told they come from under a cabbage patch, but The real answer is that a drunken stork delivers them (see Dumbo 1941). However, if you are a dalmation (101 dalmations 1961) , they come from under a cupboard. Pegasus as a baby was conjured up from the clouds (Hercules 1997) Mrs. Darlings baby appears out of thin air at the end of the film (Lady and the tramp 1955) as does sleeping beauty in 1959.

The long and short of it is, it depends entirely upon the species you are. A no pants wearing man? That one hasn't been explored yet....although, I seem to remember Mayo clinic offering a million US$ back in the 80's if a man would attempt it.....

Do let us know how you get along with this one....

In the mean time, I'll keep hunting for an answer....

Katsmom

• Minion

Yo, Katsmom up there!

Since ya lives in Hong Kong, I was wondering what kind a frogs they's got hoppin' 'round over there! An' when ya has ta take a walk 'round the Ping Pong Dizzyland resort, does ya have ta watch out fer certain kinds snakes with poison in their teeth? I imagines--with all that jungle-like weather they got, the place must be crawlin' with snakes--an' jumpin' with frogs!!

Matter a fact, I'd like ta know if'n they has frog legs on the menya's of any a them rest'raunts inside the parks?

Thanks,

Orgoch

Orgoch,

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there are no frogslegs on the menu's. Plenty of squid to be found in the park though.

There are lots of frogs croaking all around the moat, but other than the one near the grotto, I've never seen one.

Snakes for some unknown reason avoid entering Disneyland. Back in September, we were picking up dropped flowers by the resort entrance sign and a Janitor came over and asked us to stop because they spotted a snake there earlier in the day.

We do have very large lizards and gekos though. The little one and I were warned of a footlong lizard that has made the Fantasy land garden its home, and we managed to catch a glimps of it outside Mushu's favorite hideout. (It must have been visiting him-distant cousin possibly?) Last week we caught a Geko near the Fantasy land train station. It was about 1 1/2 inches long.

I think the main creatures (if you don't count the humans) in the park are mosquitoes! They must import them. Suprisingly, for Hong Kong, Disney is free of pesky creaping/crawling creatures. I've never once seen a cockroach there, but they are everywhere else in this city.

Katsmom

• Minion

Dear Katsmom:

My sister's question about the snakes in Hong Kong got me to wondering why you don't see more. I mean, don't they have cobras over there? It certainly is hot enough for those things. Even in Florida I've seen snakes an alligators inside the parks. Like Orgoch, I just assumed they'd be all over the place in and around the theme park.

Anyway, your answers to everybody's questions--especially Innocent in Austrailia--have been really good. See, you're MUCH better than 'Dear Abby'. Maybe somebody SHOULD pay you for all your answers after all!

Hug & Kisses,

Orwen

Quote Originally Posted by Katsmom View Post
    Orddu,
    Tricky question. But I'll try to answer it. There are three tracks, and they are each a different length. If I remember correctly, the one in the middle is the shortest. The one to the left hand side as you come down the steps is the longest. The one on the right goes over Space mountain and has a wonderful view of the park.

The guests effectively control the speed, and you can stop the cars if you want to. (We like to stop over tomorrowland and watch the people go by) 2 weeks ago there was a traffic jam over the bridge by tomorrowland (far right queue), everyone had stopped to watch the fireworks!
    Try not to clog the track too long during the fireworks, many CM like to finish work their long shift ASAP.

When the park isn't busy and I drive with the peddle to the floor, it's around 5 to 7 minutes, When It's busy it is usually a lot slower. When my little one drives and I give it the gas, I'd have to guess around 7 to 10 minutes.
    If you throttle the car on the track (with no bumping or stopping) it takes 3 minutes, that's even the longest track. Most people usually spend 5 minutes on average
    on the attraction. And each track hold 20 cars

When the park is packed, they open all 3 tracks. Most days it is only 2 tracks though. Last week when the park was absolutly dead, there was one track. It was a good deception: wait 15 to 20 minutes to ride the cars, but when we got to the front of the queue, well, I could see the reason for the wait!
    If the attraction is not busy, ask a CM to ride the attraction again or switch to a different track.

Quote Originally Posted by mclubber View Post
    If the attraction is not busy, ask a CM to ride the attraction again or switch to a different track.
    Ah, you must work there. Tell me tell me which cast member to ask to ride again. I always have to go back around again and again.

I can't imagine that it is only a 3 minute ride. I am sure that it is longer than that. But then too, maybe I bump the edges a bit much. I would admit to slowing down to point out trees and other foliage to the little one, But do I drive that slowly? Maybe someone should take away my license!

Thanks for the info!

Katsmom

• Iron-Clad Allie

Dear Katsmom:

Which costumed characters are the most popular. Can they be found places other than Fantasy Gardens?
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Dear Road Warrior,
    From what I've seen, it would have to be Mickey and Minnie together outside the mainstreet station. Second would be (from my humble observations) Chip and Dale.
    The characters have their own places on main street. Mickey and Minnie are in the Gazebo, daisy and sometimes donald are together outside the emporium, and Donald and Goofy often wait near the opera house.
    Chip and Dale can be found on the porch halfway down mainstreet.

Mickey, Minnie and Pooh are regulars in the garden, but Marie, Daisy, Donald, Mulan, Mushu, Chip and Dale, and Eeyore take turns too.

At times Alice can be found by the tea cups, and the princesses are often spotted infront of the castle near the hub.

Woody and Jessie show up on occasion near the Golden Mickey's theater, and Stitch and Buzz can be found in tomorrow land.

On occasion, we can see Timon in Adventure land, but those occasions are rare. When night time events happen, the whole gang moves over to adventure land for photo ops.

Marie pops up every once in a while outside The Philharmagic shop.

I've seen a few rogue characters: Jiminie Cricket, Francis (bugs life), but these are extremely rare.

We've also seen "lesser characters" often, the jesters, the wizard from Sword in the stone can be seen walking around Fantasy land almost daily. The talking garbage can is a regular in Tomorrowland.

One of the joys of Disney in the states is walking around the corner and seeing a character. Here, you line up to see them. It takes away just a tiny bit of hte magic I enjoyed 30 some years ago. But fun just the same.

Hope that answers your questions.

Katsmom

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Katsmom View Post
    Dear Road Warrior,
    From what I've seen, it would have to be Mickey and Minnie together outside the mainstreet station. Second would be (from my humble observations) Chip and Dale.
    The characters have their own places on main street. Mickey and Minnie are in the Gazebo, daisy and sometimes donald are together outside the emporium, and Donald and Goofy often wait near the opera house.
    Chip and Dale can be found on the porch halfway down mainstreet.

Mickey, Minnie and Pooh are regulars in the garden, but Marie, Daisy, Donald, Mulan, Mushu, Chip and Dale, and Eeyore take turns too.

At times Alice can be found by the tea cups, and the princesses are often spotted infront of the castle near the hub.

Woody and Jessie show up on occasion near the Golden Mickey's theater, and Stitch and Buzz can be found in tomorrow land.

On occasion, we can see Timon in Adventure land, but those occasions are rare. When night time events happen, the whole gang moves over to adventure land for photo ops.

Marie pops up every once in a while outside The Philharmagic shop.

I've seen a few rogue characters: Jiminie Cricket, Francis (bugs life), but these are extremely rare.

We've also seen "lesser characters" often, the jesters, the wizard from Sword in the stone can be seen walking around Fantasy land almost daily. The talking garbage can is a regular in Tomorrowland.

One of the joys of Disney in the states is walking around the corner and seeing a character. Here, you line up to see them. It takes away just a tiny bit of hte magic I enjoyed 30 some years ago. But fun just the same.

Hope that answers your questions.

Katsmom
    Talk about an answer in full! Thanks for indulging me. Character wise, HKDL sounds like an extremely fun park. I'll keep this info so that I'll know exactly where to find them when I come.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast