Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disney to build park in Shanghai

"Aug. 1, 2005 (Bloomberg) - Walt Disney Co. will open a theme park in Shanghai in 2012, the Hong Kong Economic Times said, without identifying the source of its information.

The company will start designing the park next year, the Chinese-language paper said. The construction will begin in 2008 and the park will open in 2012, the paper said."

http://www.chinaknowledge.com/news_d...general&ID=674

Anyone heard anymore on this?

By the way, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, didn't know where else to.

• That's Hawt

Re: Disney to build park in Shanghai

Very Interesting ... I wonder if it's true? And if so, when will DisCo announce it?
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• UH..LIKE DUH..

it would be funny if they said it was gonna be just like the one in hong kong but not as elaborate and without as many rides..

• Earth Intruder

Blech..... so not excited about that news!!!

I wish they'd spend the money improving the parks they currently have.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Having a Grand Day!

Excuse me while I go into a flying rage.

!@#$%%&()*&%#^$@U&$%$$%$O&^$^%#%$##%@&^*^^%$@# EISNER!

• Minion

Three Words...
    EISNER, LEAVE ALREADY

• Former Epcot CM

Well there is always a silver lining to a no-matter-how-dark-a-cloud. It will take this park FOUR years to build, which is just as long as Disneyland Resort Paris (back when it was Euro Disney Resort). I think this shows that a lot more work will go into this park. HKDLR was built on reclaimed land, and yet still was built in just over 18 months.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

I hate this idea. I thought I was the only one. Seems like most people at MouseInfo like this idea. So I thought I was the only person that is against it.

• Minion

I saw CM Matt on some Orange County Forum last weekend and he said they were going to continue on the international market, with no plans for a 3rd gate here. The only thing he said about the 3rd gate was that we still had the land available.

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil
    I saw CM Matt on some Orange County Forum last weekend and he said they were going to continue on the international market, with no plans for a 3rd gate here. The only thing he said about the 3rd gate was that we still had the land available.
    What else did he say? Anything about DCA and the resort?

• Official MC Thread Killer

Worst. Idea. Ever.
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

I dont think this is such a bad idea. Shanghai today is the biggest and most developed city in mainland China.

The 2000 census put the population of Shanghai Municipality to 16.738 million(Tokyo is only 12,527,115 (8,444,531 in 23 wards), including the floating population, which made up 3.871 million. Since the 1990 census the total population has increased by 3.396 million, or 25.5%. Males accounted for 51.4%, females for 48.6% of the population. 12.2% were in the age group of 0-14, 76.3% between 15 and 64 and 11.5% were older than 65. 5.4% of the inhabitants were illiterate. As of 2003, the official registered population is 13.42 million; however, more than 5 million more people work and live in Shanghai undocumented, and of the 5 million, some 4 million belong to the floating population of temporary migrant workers.

The city had a GDP of 46,586 (ca. US$ 5,620) per capita in 2003, ranked no. 13 among all 659 Chinese cities. Hong Kong has the advantage of a stronger legal system and greater banking and service expertise. Shanghai has stronger links to both the Chinese interior and the central government, in addition to a stronger base in manufacturing and technology. Since the handover of Hong Kong to the PRC in 1997, Shanghai has increased its role in finance, banking, and as a major destination for corporate headquarters, fueling demand for a highly educated and modernized workforce. Shanghai's economy is steadily growing at 11% and for 2004 the forecast is 14%.

And this also cant be blamed on Michael Eisner, Robert Iger is the one who is intrested in overseas expansion a priority. If you read time a few weeks ago he talked about a park in main land China.

• Having a Grand Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo_n
    I dont think this is such a bad idea. Shanghai today is the biggest and most developed city in mainland China.

The 2000 census put the population of Shanghai Municipality to 16.738 million(Tokyo is only 12,527,115 (8,444,531 in 23 wards), including the floating population, which made up 3.871 million. Since the 1990 census the total population has increased by 3.396 million, or 25.5%. Males accounted for 51.4%, females for 48.6% of the population. 12.2% were in the age group of 0-14, 76.3% between 15 and 64 and 11.5% were older than 65. 5.4% of the inhabitants were illiterate. As of 2003, the official registered population is 13.42 million; however, more than 5 million more people work and live in Shanghai undocumented, and of the 5 million, some 4 million belong to the floating population of temporary migrant workers.

The city had a GDP of 46,586 (ca. US$ 5,620) per capita in 2003, ranked no. 13 among all 659 Chinese cities. Hong Kong has the advantage of a stronger legal system and greater banking and service expertise. Shanghai has stronger links to both the Chinese interior and the central government, in addition to a stronger base in manufacturing and technology. Since the handover of Hong Kong to the PRC in 1997, Shanghai has increased its role in finance, banking, and as a major destination for corporate headquarters, fueling demand for a highly educated and modernized workforce. Shanghai's economy is steadily growing at 11% and for 2004 the forecast is 14%.

And this also cant be blamed on Michael Eisner, Robert Iger is the one who is intrested in overseas expansion a priority. If you read time a few weeks ago he talked about a park in main land China.
    So?

Money is not why we dont want the park. Turing it into a warped Franchise, with even two in one country (!), would be a disaster, and what is happening.

• UH..LIKE DUH..

Mega Idea

Why not dismantle DCA and rebuild it piece by piece (labor is cheap) in Shanghai? California would be exotic to them and have no competition! Disney saves face and never has to admit failure (It's not closing.. its just moving!). It is a better idea there and can be marketed as "Imported from California". You could even have a SF themed Chinatown. Then Disney could put something better next to Disneyland and have another shot at success.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    So?

Money is not why we dont want the park. Turing it into a warped Franchise, with even two in one country (!), would be a disaster, and what is happening.
    Cough.. (DLR.. & WDW...).. Cough..

Bue why does China want another.. they have yet to see how the first is going to do with the poeple and benifiting the government...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast