Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: Shanghai Disneyland?

Ha ha... the true test then is if you were left in a room alone with my cat, who would still be alive at the end.

I'm betting on my cat. Dude, he eats anything! lol.

- Anatole "Has seen his cat eats bugs. Yes, it's true"

• Banned User

Once your evil cat gets one of my world famous tummy rubs, he will be a defenseless blob on my lap.

• Banned User

Ahh... change that to a head rub and he will be putty. This cat doesn't like for his tummy to be touched, he is weird that way.

But rub his head or back and he will be putty in your hands. lol.

- Anatole

• Banned User

I want no cat to go potty in my hand. I will rub his belly, even if he likes it or not!

• Banned User

Ha ha... you are even more headstrong than my cat!

Rub his belly all you want then, but wear a protective glove otherwise he will bite your arm off. I strongly suspect he is related to Tatiana the tiger. This dude is viscious is tells you, just plain viscious! >_<

- Anatole "Yes the thread about Shanghai has been Shanghai'ed"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Now if he had a doggie, then that would be the truth

I guess we will have to live with a new Shaghai DL rumor every few weeks until it becomes a reality...which I expect will be the case, just not in the next ten years or so. I think it would have made better sense to have built the first China park in Shanghai rather than Hong Kong...since there is a larger local population base, and since billions of dollars wouldn't have been needed for land reclamation (maybe some of that money could have been spent on the parks instead!). But now it makes no sense to have another Chinese resort until the negative impressions created by the mini-park in HK are changed. After HK has reached its potential (full size MK, plus second gate), then there should be no problem with a second Chinese resort. TDR may be close enough but most guests would probably prefer rides in a language they understand.
    Hong Kong plus the city of Shenzhen have a larger population base than Shanghai. Hong Kong has a milder winter climate than Shanghai. Look at the recent snow storm in Central and Northern Part of Mainland China, it is making Shanghai not a good choice for theme parks.

• Friendly Hong KongStalker

Hong Kong plus the city of Shenzhen have a larger population base than Shanghai. Hong Kong has a milder winter climate than Shanghai. Look at the recent snow storm in Central and Northern Part of Mainland China, it is making Shanghai not a good choice for theme parks.
    haha, I can imagine the Jungle Cruise freezing up in Shanghai. I doubt, and I hope it will never become a reality.
    Chuck Norris decided to sell his urine as an energy drink. It is now known as 'Red Bull'.

• Banned User

They're planning expansion in Hong Kong. Besides, they had a ripoff in Beijing some time ago.

• Minion

Shanghai applies to build its own Disneyland: mayor

Thu Mar 6, 2008
    BEIJING (Reuters) - Shanghai has applied to the Chinese central government to build its own Disneyland, Mayor Han Zheng said on Thursday, ending long-standing speculation on whether it would opt for such a park.

Plans for a Shanghai Disneyland emerged in 2005 but were suspended when the city's Communist Party boss, Chen Liangyu, was implicated in a corruption investigation in 2006. Recent state media reports had said that while Shanghai still planned to build a major theme park by 2020, it had yet to decide on any specific project.

"We have applied to the National Development and Reform Commission (the economic planning agency), but so far we have not received any notice of approval," Han told reporters on the sidelines of the annual session of parliament.

"Any big-scale project of this kind has to receive central government approval, and Shanghai will of course abide by the central government's decision," he said, adding that the location of the proposed park was not yet fixed.

Walt Disney Co signed a statement of intent to build a Disneyland on the mainland in 2002, and then set up a venture with Shanghai's Lujiazui Group to develop the site, which would be about 4.7 times the size of Hong Kong's Disneyland.

The mainland plan was soon suspended, partly because of concerns that the Hong Kong park, which opened in 2005, would suffer, state-owned newspapers have reported.

Hong Kong's Disneyland, the second magic kingdom in Asia after Japan, has struggled since opening in 2005, falling well short of attendance targets.
    The park had around 4 million visitors in its second year of operation, a drop of more than 20 percent from its first year.
    Source : Reuters

I think Hong Kong and Shanghai are not too close together. I looked online and it said that it is at least a 2 hour flight. Nevertheless, I still do not see any logic in investing in another theme park when the one at HK hasn't performed so well. Honestly, HKDL is the LAST Disney park that I would visit because practically every ride that they have, I have already done it at a better Disney park.

If they do decide to go through with it, realistically speaking it will take at least 6-7 years to plan and then construct the entire resort. I think this is enough time to add enough attractions to HKDL, thus making it a worthy competitive park in China.

Eh, I say scrap the Shanghai park and just invest all the money into HKDL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12