Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: City of Shanghai to announce Disney Theme Park sometime around Olympic Games 2008

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind, is that many people in China can't afford going to a Disney park. Just because, there is a big population, doesn't mean that there is really that large of an audience that can afford it.
    Exactly. And someone might make a copy of the park somewhere else and charge 10% of what Disney charges.

Also I don't think the Chinese people appreciate Disney as much as the rest of the world do. I believe there is a limit of foreign films allowed in China per annum, so not every Disney movie gets to be seen (legally at least) in China.

Re: City of Shanghai to announce Disney Theme Park sometime around Olympic Games 2008

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    I'll believe a Shanghai Disneyland when I hear it. Seems like every day a new country is crying wolf about a "Disney" theme park in the works.
    I think the matter that the Disney Chief, Iger has mentioned the rumored park makes this one more than just crying wolf...

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    If the Shanghai park is really as big as they say it will be, then it is not just HKDL that is at risk, TDL will be at risk also.
    Erm that really aint the case...95% of the visitors to Japan's Disney Parks are Japanese and has a really big local population that supports the parks.

• Minion FOREVER!

Just to throw some real data on the discussion:

Distance (via air) HK to Shanghai: 765 miles (1231 km)
    Distance (via air) LA to Orlando: 2212 miles (3560 km)
    Population of China: 1.3 billion (est. 2007)
    Population of US: 301 million (est. 2007)
    Population of Shanghai: 16.7 million
    Population of LA metro area: 11.7 million
    Population in Pearl River Delta region (around HK): 40.8 million
    Population of Hong Kong: 6.9

The per capita income levels in the Pearl River Delta (not even factoring the
    rest of the Guandong province) is quite high so that
    area alone probably can support HKDL.

Now the Shanghai area is much more problematic IMHO because:

* weather (it's annual winter temp is 34 F)
    * bigger population to draw from (I've heard 80 million w/in 1 hr travel), but
    w/ incomes lower than HKDL's population

Some factors though...

* it is actually further south than Paris (31.13 N vs 48.52 N)
    * economy is changing daily/monthly.... incomes in a few years probably compare
    to Pearl River in a few years.

So in 4~5 years, I'm sure that Disney execs are betting that the per capita incomes
    in the Shanghai area alone with the improvements in the transportation will
    be sufficient to support a park.

Anyway, my two cents...
    Last edited by nish221; 03-17-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    IF you are referring to Night Kingdom, then I still don't fully believe that is happening soon. That rumor first appeared in a place where the rumors aren't very founded. I guess it was big enough for people to read and take to the media. WDW would be foolish to add a fifth park, and I hope Iger has enough sense to realize this, especially if the staffing is to be as elaborate as the rumor suggests.
    Then you believe correctly.

Night Kingdom is by no means a done deal. Yes, it is designed. Big deal. Disney's America is too ... so is the Disney-MGM Studios Europe ... and Port Disney ... and Westcot ... and Disney's Backlot ... and countless other parks and attraction concepts.

Jay Rasulo wants it built. But with George Bush just about to finish our country off, Bob Iger realizes it may not be the best time to build a niche park that will only attract the wealthiest guests, many of whom won't set foot at WDW since it's been so WalMarted.

As to Shanghai. Don't count on it.

The concept for the park was not a MK-style, but this is much less likely than the animal boutique park for other reasons.

Some of this &%$# will never die. It just goes on and on and on ... hey, did you know Disney was building a theme park about the Villians? How about those dark spaces on the Swan and Dolphin? yep. that's where the rooms come out and the monorail will go. And you do know that the turrets on Cindy's Bed and Breakfast are removable in the event of 'canes hitting, right?

Tell me, where does the stupidity end ... c'mon, let's have some new rumors with no basis in fact for a change.

Even though I don't post much anymore just reading this drivel is draining.

• jeffrey

Wow, a park in Shanghai...according to my friend Penelope, her dad, Yao Man Chan, says that Shanghai is crowded but quite poor, meaning that Disney will have to adjust prices on construction and definately tickets and lodging when it comes to that.

The whole idea in general seems pretty absurd. It'd be kinda like opeing a Disney World in Seattle...

• Minion

^^ There may be lots of poor people around Shanghai, but there is also more wealth in that region than in the entirety of many countries. Not to mention, Shanghai is probably more conveniently located to Beijing and other areas in the north where there are concentrations of wealth. Also, Disney is being smart by thinking how things will be 20 - 30 years down the line, positioning themselves so that they don't have to play catch-up. Plus, it is probably far more economical to start to develop a resort in mainland China today versus a few decades down the line when the price of everything will be much higher.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    They can barely pay for the Hong Kong park, and now they want another one?! jeez...
    As far as I know, it's not that Disney can't afford their HK park, but that the HK government can't since Disney can't invest in HK unless the HK government invest the same amount plus more, not without assuming the majority ownership of the park, as per finance rules... which the HK government wouldn't want to happen.

So that is a big reason why expansion seems so slow for HK Disneyland.

I know Disney went cheap on building the park, but I think they get too much flak for it's slow development.

- Anatole

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12