• Watch Your Language

Head of HKDL, Bill Ernest Promoted to President of Asia Region(New Post), RTHK News

安 明 智 升 任 迪 士 尼 亞 洲 區 總 裁
    2008-04-16 HKT 16:26
    安明智獲委任華特迪士尼亞洲總裁 (香港迪士尼樂園提供) 華敏倫即時擔任署理香港迪士尼樂園行政總裁 (香港迪士尼樂園提供) 華 特 迪 士 尼 樂 園 宣 布 , 委 任 香 港 迪 士 尼 樂 園 行 政 總 裁 安 明 智 , 為 亞 洲 區 總 裁 。 香 港 迪 士 尼 樂 園 營 運 副 總 裁 華 敏 倫 , 將 署 任 香 港 迪 士 尼 樂 園 行 政 總 裁 一 職 。
    消 息 人 士 指 出 , 迪 士 尼 亞 洲 總 裁 為 新 開 設 職 位 , 迪 士 尼 希 望 擴 大 亞 洲 業 務 發 展 , 但 強 調 仍 未 就 上 海 興 建 迪 士 尼 達 成 協 議 。
    安 明 智 將 繼 續 以 香 港 為 基 地 , 制 定 華 特 迪 士 尼 公 司 亞 洲 區 新 業 務 , 包 括 香 港 迪 士 尼 樂 園 度 假 區 的 長 遠 發 展 策 略 。
    Source : RTHK news

Translation only :

Announcement by WDC: Bill Ernest of Hong Kong Disneyland has been promoted to a new position, president of Asia Region, Disney Theme Park and Resorts Business Unit. The new title and position is created as Disney is preparing to expand its Business in Asia. Bill Ernest will still be based in Hong Kong.
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 04-16-2008 at 05:19 AM.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Head of HKDL, Bill Ernest Promoted to President of Disney Asia (New Post), RTHK N

Out of interest what has Bill Ernest done to deserve this promotion. HKDL is a attendance nightmare and he's done nothing to improve the local's opinion of the park. If he's now president of the Asia Region I wonder what his role will be. Clearly now is the wrong time to be building a new park in China with all the stuff going on in Tibet. China's human rights record is being questioned and criticise by many through out the World, and I really don't think its going to do Disney any favours if the company was to annouce at this time a new park.

Re: Head of HKDL, Bill Ernest Promoted to President of Disney Asia (New Post), RTHK N

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Out of interest what has Bill Ernest done to deserve this promotion. HKDL is a attendance nightmare and he's done nothing to improve the local's opinion of the park. If he's now president of the Asia Region I wonder what his role will be. Clearly now is the wrong time to be building a new park in China with all the stuff going on in Tibet. China's human rights record is being questioned and criticise by many through out the World, and I really don't think its going to do Disney any favours if the company was to annouce at this time a new park.
    Maybe he is preparing to be the Shanghai DL president!

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Those are some BIG photos. Anyone with photos that big DESERVES a promotion!

Here's Disney's official press on the subject:

http://news.hkdlsource.com/story/289

Quote Originally Posted by Malin
    According to the press I just posted "This promotion is a testament to Bill’s leadership, his instrumental role in opening Hong Kong Disneyland, and also underscores the company’s commitment to international growth, especially in this region,” said Jay Rasulo, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “Through his dedication, Bill has helped develop HKDL as an iconic attraction in Hong Kong, mainland China and the Asia-Pacific region.”"
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• Minion

ORGOCH: 'Course I don't never believe a WORD that comes outta' that good fer nothin' Jay Rascal!! He'll say anything ta make hisself an' his bad ideas look good!

ORDDU: Oh, who cares about Jay Rasulo, anyway? Can't you see that the really GOOD news is that Loomis is back with us again!! Where have you been, dear? Don't you realize how much a coven of witches misses you when you're not around?

I don't think we need photos that big. It is not like he is a super handsome prince.

So he will be in charge of Tokyo Disneyland Resort too? If so that's interesting. Someone who runs the smallest DL in the world with not-so-amazing attendance, now in charge of one the most successful resorts there is.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    I don't think we need photos that big. It is not like he is a super handsome prince.

So he will be in charge of Tokyo Disneyland Resort too? If so that's interesting. Someone who runs the smallest DL in the world with not-so-amazing attendance, now in charge of one the most successful resorts there is.
    I doubt he'll be in charge of the Tokyo Disney Resort. TDR is owned and operated by the Oriental Land Company, not Disney. They pay licensing fees to Disney for use of the brand.

• Watch Your Language

According to Mingpao News :

據了解,此舉意味迪士尼在亞洲會有重大發展,上海迪士尼樂園計劃可能在短期內公布新消息。
    安明智將統籌迪士尼於亞洲的樂園及度假區業務,包括香港及日本迪士尼樂園等,他會繼續以香港為工作基地。其 原職則由樂園營運副總裁、服務迪士尼43年的華敏倫署任,樂園目前正全球招聘新行政總裁。
    新設職位 意味拓展亞洲業務

安明智是次晉升的是新設職位,故有指這意味迪士尼在亞洲區會有重大發展。據悉,迪士尼早前於印度收購了電視頻道,在內地則進軍遊戲機生意,近期亦積極在亞洲區內搜尋合適地點,發展類似夏威夷的度假村;另 一方面,商討了10年的上海迪士尼樂園計劃,在早前上海市政府高調表示已向中央申請興建後,亦有可能於短期 內有新消息。

雖然亦有指迪士尼此舉可能是想逼港府盡快就注資擴建香港樂園的問題拍板,但消息人士表示,政府不會覑急,因 為這次並非純粹做生意,而且樂園過去兩年表現欠理想,要向立法會申請注資亦不容易,相信在立法會9月選舉前不會有新進展。
    Translation only:

Bill Ernest will also be responsible for theme parks and Resorts in Asia, and that also includes Tokyo Disney Resort.

His promotion to his new job title means that some big annoucement regarding major development in Asia is on its way, probably Shanghai Disney Resort is coming soon.

As far as the expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland is concerned, it is expected that there wouldn't be any major annoucement before the Legislative Council's Election at September 2008.

Is it me or do you think Bill Earnest getting promoted too quickly? He was only the head of HKDL just 2 years to replace Don Robinson. If he is the Disneyland Asia head, who will still head the HKDL operations?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Bill Ernest will also be responsible for theme parks and Resorts in Asia, and that also includes Tokyo Disney Resort.
    I think his role will be to oversee the current team of Disney employee's this Resort has, as well as being in direct contact to the OLC. Clearly Disney doesn't operate the Tokyo parks.

If he is the Disneyland Asia head, who will still head the HKDL operations?
    Dave Vermeulen, Vice President, Resort Operations of HKDL and 43-year Disney Operations veteran, will immediately assume the role and responsibilities of Managing Director, Hong Kong Disneyland, reporting to Ernest. Credit http://news.hkdlsource.com/story/289

There was an article in today's SCMP about Disney in Malasia....

• Minion

ORWEN: And--just to follow up with what Katsmom just had to say--the local town crier outside the market place in Morva just announced that Disney in talks with the Horned King about the possibility of building a Disney theme park in the Land of Prydain!! Isn't that exciting?

ORGOCH: Only if'n ya lives in Morva...

Quote Originally Posted by mclubber View Post
    Is it me or do you think Bill Earnest getting promoted too quickly? He was only the head of HKDL just 2 years to replace Don Robinson.

We have the same issue here in Paris : the new CEO launch plenty of things or reorganise the way the resort works then leave somewhere else and the whole thing start again...
    One can notice that the most successfull companies keep the same team in place for a long time.
    Here the key of the problem would be that TWDC want CEO not to become too independant from the mother company. Paris & HK are subsidiary companies. And interests can become opposite sometimes...