Its a small world Grand Opening Video and HKDL IASW Page

There is a grand opening video taken by gilbert23059:

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=BqM1RrjXiUc

One more grand opening video on youtube taken by sofronio [Thanks Bennet for update!] :
    http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=N7V9lgWcNuk

New IASW Page in HKDL website:

http://park.hongkongdisneyland.com/h..._US/index.html

Grand opening TV news recorded by Bennet:
    http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl2vxutpuKo
    Last edited by keithlee83; 04-27-2008 at 09:37 PM.

• Yo!

Re: Its a small world Grand Opening Video and HKDL IASW Page

WOW. Disney is sure getting good at these grand opening galas.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Five-Legged Goat

The lights on the attraction's facade are amazing and quite versatile. It was a very good idea to build the lighting functionality into the attraction as an initial matter, rather than having to re-wire the building later. Hopefully, the lights will be modified for seasonal purposes (Chinese New Year, Halloween, Christmas, etc.).

The website lists all 38 Disney figures found in the attraction. Apparently, those other mermaids are officially not Ariel's sisters; Mufasa's spirit is considered one of the characters; and that clownfish -- though of roughly the same size as Dory -- is in fact Nemo, not Marlin. Of note is the fact that Jose Carioca is described as "cigar smoking," and Panchito's pistols are physically present on his character as well as noted on the website. Stitch is described as initially being "evil," which I'm not sure I agree with.

Also, I was surprised to find that the non-Asian languages are only English, Spanish, Italian, and Swedish.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I had to cackle a bit when the one gentleman spoke about how the addition of IT'S A SMALL WORLD would help to dispell the image that Hong Kong Disneyland is too small.

ORGOCH: Does that ol' goomer really think we's that dumb?!

ORWEN: Still, we're glad that IT'S A SMALL WORLD has been added to the park. It really should have been around for opening day. I guess it's better late than never.

ORGOCH: Now we just gotta wait fer them teasers ta stop foolin' 'round an build somethin' else fer the park. A LOT more somethin's fer folks ta do!

here is another video taken by sofronio who apparently accessed to the media area
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7V9lgWcNuk

and some photos taken by Chiu's family.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I like how you can get a good look at all the Disney characters on the official site. They go by so fast in all the videos I've seen. They're really not as offensive as I thought they'd be (outside of Cinderella & her prince). Some are even very cute, but I still don't know how I like having them in IASW (as much as I hate the song, it is a very cute and festive ride).

Quote Originally Posted by keithlee83 View Post

Grand opening TV news recorded by Bennet:
    http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl2vxutpuKo

This video also talks about how dangerous the guest continue to do onto the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    I had to cackle a bit when the one gentleman spoke about how the addition of IT'S A SMALL WORLD would help to dispell the image that Hong Kong Disneyland is too small.
    Not only does IASW not alleviate the size problem, the attraction IS NOT A DRAW. It's good for families with small children or a handful of adults that appreciate its history or art work, but this ride (like the park's lame version of Autopia) does nothing to excite or draw back visitors. It is, in fact, derided by the pre-teen, teen and young adult demographics.

I'm convinced these execs have their heads up their butts. When it was clear that HKDL was failing to reach attendence goals why didn't they immediately look to the Tower or Terror or Expedition Everest, two attractions that changed the fortunes of their host parks overnight. Those are DRAWS. When people get off those rides they are literally cheering and giddy with excitement. When they leave the park, they remember the exhilaration and want to go back and experience it again. Even those who don't ride, can enjoy the spectacle of the drop and the screams.

I doubt IASW will do much. HKDL needs something big (in the form of POTC: Skull Mountain) ASAP.

• Yo!

The crowd patterns in America are not the same as they are overseas.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

^ Oh, that's right, Chinese theme park goers prefer garden walks to rides.

That is exactly the kind of wrong-headed thinking that lead HKDL to the sorry position it's in now. A thrilling, extravagant, inspiring attraction is something that has universal appeal.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: My sisters and I had to cackle a bit when the one gentleman spoke about how the addition of IT'S A SMALL WORLD would help to dispell the image that Hong Kong Disneyland is too small.

ORGOCH: Does that ol' goomer really think we's that dumb?!

ORWEN: Still, we're glad that IT'S A SMALL WORLD has been added to the park. It really should have been around for opening day. I guess it's better late than never.

ORGOCH: Now we just gotta wait fer them teasers ta stop foolin' 'round an build somethin' else fer the park. A LOT more somethin's fer folks ta do!
    LOL, I hear you witches, he has to be kidding himself if he thinks one additional ride will somehow 'dispell' the notion the park is not that small. This ride was a no-brainer to be there opening day and not nearly 3 years after opening. Personnally I think its nice and with all the press for it will give the park a bump in attendance for awhile, but its no way this is going to ease the problem of not having enough to do. When TOT opened at DCA, some people (nievely) thought it was going to be a savior for the park and years after that opening, they finally giving it a proper makeover and real additions and even after all that, we still don't know if the public will accept it.

With HKDL, they need to make 5 additional attractions and an additional land minimum for people to even begin to accept this place as a full day park or something to fill you day until sun set at least.

• HKDL fan

Does Disney know the need of expanding HKDL? Or perhaps WE need to send petition to HKDL asking them to add a new land. Since Disney does not listen then we should ask them to read instead of listening. What do you all think?
    My Web Site - RedBubble Site

~ Going to HKDL in 2015 [10th Anniversary] ~

Looking Forward To HKDL's Expansion

akaytrinity.com

• Banned User

Fabulous videos! I am glad they show how fabulous the light system on the building really is.. which is a reflection of what the city buildings do on a regular basis.. Makes WDW's IASW look pretty pretty bad in comparison.

I can't wait to ride it in May!!!

I've always been a purist when it came to IASW, but when I saw Pinochicco in there it kinda reminded me that the characters's stories are from all around the world and maybe it's a good idea to demonstrate that as well. The doll characters were cute. I didn't really care for the "non-doll" characters. Especially Woody and Jessie (yes, they're dolls, but not IASW dolls) and Stich. Actually, the Three Caballeros either. But honestly, I couldn't help but smile when the boat floated by Baloo and Mowgali. How much do you want to bet kids here in the US don't realize that Mowgli is an Asian character? Or that Pinocchio is Italian? But what I really want here at Disneyland, is that facade! OMG! I'm a sucker for pretty lights...

• Friendly Hong KongStalker

If that's how the Disney characters are going to be in California, then I don't see what the pensions are for. It's sweet to show how Disney characters are international, although they shouldn't have replaced dolls, and instead put the characters in as an 'extra'.
    What Hong Kong Disneyland really needs to do is to make at least ONE E attraction. Seriously.
    Just one E attraction can seriously give it an identity in Hong Kong.
    Chuck Norris decided to sell his urine as an energy drink. It is now known as 'Red Bull'.