Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wen Wei Po reports SHDL deal is done

According to HK's Chinese newspaper Wen Wei Po, Disney has signed to build a Disneyland in Shanghai. The news will be kept quiet until after the Beijing Olympic games.
    http://paper.wenweipo.com/2008/06/28/CH0806280001.htm

The park will be 8 times larger than HKDL and phase one will open in 2012.

Shanghai will invest RMB40billion on the project and the deal will be similar to TDL, where WDC will get loyalty and management fees but not substantial ownership.

The site will be very close to Pudong International Airport. Passengers stopping over at Shanghai will be given special permission to enter SHDL without a Chinese visa.

• Reluctant Uncle

Re: Wen Wei Po reports SHDL deal is done

This is exciting news! I've the report regarding the matter, but figured that they would finalize by next year, not this soon.

In any case, thanks very much for sharing, even if it was meant to be quiet.

• No honestly it is me

Very interesting.

8 times bigger than HKDL??? Wouldn't that make it the biggest Disneyland ever? I know Disneyland Paris is the current biggest magic kingdom but I think that is only maybe 3 or 4 times bigger than HKDL.

I really hope that this park is something special like Disneyland Paris was when it opened. I still can't understand why Disney/Hong Kong built a fairly unattractive and old looking Disney park in Hong Kong (IMO) The castle is just awful (yes it would have been great if this park was built 50 years ago but for the modern age who the hell are they kidding with that castle?!)

Maybe this park will get the incredible looking new pirates of the carribean E-ticket? If so I'll be on the first plane there in 2012!

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I seem to recall that when the first announcements were made in regard to Hong Kong Disneyland, that IT was to be the largest Disneyland ever built up to its time. Obviously someone forgot how to inflate. Then, again, size is a relative term. One person's teeny, tiny toy is another's--

ORGOCH: Huge, honkin' Ho!!!

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Another "announcement". I'll hold on to my skepticism until ground is broken on this new park.

However, in case anyone is interested, the Shanghai Daily also reports on this as a "done deal".

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...980&type=Metro

What does interest me, however, is that this story hasn't changed much since August 2006.

http://news.hkdlsource.com/story/28

One interesting bit in the first article is that "The plan was put on hold because of concerns that the Hong Kong park, opened in 2005, would suffer." Is this not still a going concern? I don't think that HKDL is the biggest hot spot in China at the moment, so I'm not sure how they think they can manage to turn it around and build a new park in the next 4 years.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Banned User

What do they mean 8 times larger? Do they mean as in land or disneyland rides?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLR_FAN View Post
    What do they mean 8 times larger? Do they mean as in land or disneyland rides?
    These stats are likely of dubious credibility...clearly a "magic kingdom" park would not be that large. If something really will be "8 times larger" in Shanghai then most likely they are referring to the total area of the resort there vs the one in Hong Kong. The bigger question is how HKDL will cope with the competition.
    Down with the Hat

You should not believe everything you read ... just a friendly word of advice.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    You should not believe everything you read ... just a friendly word of advice.
    Amen!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Looks like another newspaper jumped the gun:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/rbssTe...26623320080630

SHANGHAI, June 30 (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co (DIS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and the Shanghai government on Monday both denied a media report that a planned Disneyland project in Shanghai has obtained central government approval.

[...]

"The project still needs central government approval and Shanghai will obey Beijing's decision," Shanghai spokesman Chen Qiwei said, adding he will make new inquiries on this to relevant departments.

Disney also denied the report. "There is no agreement and there is no deal," Disney spokeswoman Alannah Hall-Smith said in an e-mailed statement.

• Hola Yola!

This is one rumour that it seems will never die. Maybe we'll finally see Fire Mountain and Beastly Kingdom at this amazing new "8 times the size of HKDL" park?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    This is one rumour that it seems will never die. Maybe we'll finally see Fire Mountain and Beastly Kingdom at this amazing new "8 times the size of HKDL" park?
    I don't think the park itself is going to be that big, but rather the resort. Like with Walt Disney World.

I think the park is going to be built in stages given that Shanghai is still an untested market. To build a big park all at once in 2012 is a bit an overkill. Disney does not know the consumer demand there.

I think absolutely nothing is going to be built in Shanghai ... nothing.

• Minion

ORGOCH: An' I'm thinkin' the same thing, WDW1974, ducklin'!! Matter a fact, I'd be willin' ta bet my broom stick on it!!! So ain't they got nothin' better ta do over there 'n make up a bunch a fake stories just so's they can use 'em ta tease ev'rybody with? First Ping Pong Dizzyland keeps talkin' 'bout addin' new rides that ain't gittin' added an' now Shag Carpet Hi keeps spreadin' vicious rumors 'bout a whole dang PARK that ain't gittin' built!!! Must be somethin' in the water they's drinkin' over there!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast