Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• i heart plunging v-necks

Re: Haunted Mansion getting built at Adventureland, Apple Daily

that blueprint is so old autopia was not even in the plans.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

its actually not that old Autopia was a last minute addition when it was realized that the park was going to need another attraction that did not have a high budget. It was not dificult to add autopia late into the design stage.

The blueprints have a late 2002 date Hong kong disneyland opened in 2005 those major changes to the park came late into the design stage when the land was already getting prepped and the park was basically getting ready to be built.

budget concerns between the chinese government and disney caused some of those changes
    Last edited by Baloo; 08-24-2008 at 10:49 AM.

The coaster above the consensus Big Thunder looks a lot like the rumored Raging Spirits to me...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    The coaster above the consensus Big Thunder looks a lot like the rumored Raging Spirits to me...
    Hard to say. I thought it was Splash Mt, not a coaster. Notice that it is reached from Frontierland, without any direct connection to Adventureland, although one would be able to see it from the Jungle Cruise. Considering these factors and the overall shape, I thought it was probably Splash, though I'm certainly not 100% sure. Check out the plan of Splash as proposed for Disneyland Paris, which can viewed at Disneytheque under Galleries ---> Projects Oublies. Looks similar to the one in the blueprint here.
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Hard to say. I thought it was Splash Mt, not a coaster. Notice that it is reached from Frontierland, without any direct connection to Adventureland, although one would be able to see it from the Jungle Cruise. Considering these factors and the overall shape, I thought it was probably Splash, though I'm certainly not 100% sure. Check out the plan of Splash as proposed for Disneyland Paris, which can viewed at Disneytheque under Galleries ---> Projects Oublies. Looks similar to the one in the blueprint here.
    We can see from these blueprints that everything inside the berm is what was actually built and everything outside the berm seems to be "Phase II" projects. The decision to axe Toontown and Frontierland had already been made and these plans were for what the next expansion could entail - and I don't believe that meant adding Toontown and Frontierland back into the mix.

Regarding Raging Spirits, if you look at the close-ups here: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...78014705gcMkTF

You will see that it has the exact same layout as Raging Spirits (two parallel circles connected with parallel tracks and one cross-track), not the DLP Splash Mountain, which has a long "big drop" chute. A quick trip to LiveMaps or Google Earth will confirm it for you.

I'd wager that section to the left of the tracks is an expanded Adventureland. The BTMM replica could be the Dinosaur-themed coaster we saw the concept artwork for earlier this year. The box at the bottom could be PotC or Jungle-Haunted Mansion. Raging Spirits would fit in this expanded Adventureland.

North of Fantasyland closeup: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...78014705RIJVzO

After looking at the addition above Fantasyland, I believe that it could be a replica of Mermaid Lagoon from DisneySea, not Toontown. There is at least one spinner attraction (none are in Towntown) and it looks like the entire land within one giant show building. It also looks like your are already inside once you go under the tracks (by Fantasyland Station), which lends itself to Triton's Kingdom.

We can also see that IASW was set up in much the same way as DLP with the boats traveling outside inside the berm and the show building on the outside.

Fun to speculate what could have been... and maybe what will be.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 08-24-2008 at 04:18 PM.

• Minion

^^ You could be right, it's possible that the blueprint shows an expanded Adventureland, and almost certainly that's the way they are headed today. But personally I don't think HKDL started out with intentions of anything so innovative. Frontierland got axed from the opening due to budget cuts, so it makes sense that Imagineers left an area for it outside the berm, when future funds would become available. The show building at lower left could not be Pirates...it is much too small. It could, however, fit a Haunted Mansion ride (and indeed, that's where HM is now being built if rumours prove correct). The showbuilding I demarcated as POTC, at upper left, is almost exactly the same shape and size as the existing Pirates building. I think at the time they were thinking of a clone Pirate ride, not the bigger flume ride which has been rumoured for the past couple of years.

Anyway...I doubt they are sticking to this blueprint now. From the looks of it, an expanded Adventureland is way they are going, and Pirates may well relocate to bottom left of the map. Before I saw the old blueprint, lower left is where I thought they would build it, especially if it ends up looking anything like the "Pirate Adventure" concept art they released last year.
    Down with the Hat

no that is not Splash mountain. splash mountian had not been considered since the Pirates attraction would have the outside drop similiar to splash. The boats for Pirates were going to climb inside the showbuilding then drop from the mouth of a large skull. The small attraction north of thunder mountain, which was suppose to have a totally diferent theme to match the adventureland theming, was indeed something similiar to raging spirit.

The idea of adding frontierland was eliminated very early in design stage. It was mentioned in the press release but then later felt that it might be better to just create a large adventurland that could then be divided into seperate adventures depicting places from around the world.

• Minion

^^ My question is, from what time did the Pirate / Splash hybrid start to be considered? To my eyes the building which I'm thinking to be Pirates looks very similar to all the previous POTCs. So I was thinking, at this early planning stage at least, that they were still thinking of a traditional Pirates ride. Considering that this was before the Depp trilogy and new worldwide popularity, and the fact the whole ethos behind HKDL when it started out was to build it as cheaply as possible, I doubt the Splash / Pirates hybrid was being thought of in 2002.
    Down with the Hat

actually the idea was early in the design stage. I need to check but i am almost certain that the Pirate attraction show building would have been the one in the bottom left of the blueprint. Notice the water feature around the building as well as the walkways.

Also notice the northern portion of the show building. it doe snot have a straight facade. It is more of a rockwork which could easily be the rock cavern and skull head.

The blueprint you see there is actually the cover sheet for one section of the many blueprints. The picture of the blueprint is actually only a small segment that appears on almost all cover sheets. I believe that one is from the fantasyland section.

The building next to what was going to be toontown i believe was actually going to be Haunted Mansion and would had been a bit elevated. as you aproached it you would had seen the Mansion in a desolate corner with the hills as backdrop.

the last time i spoe to anyone about the Hong Kong park was a few years back so i don't quite remember everything

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345