Help with hotel recommendations

My wife and I have 4 kids, and are currently in the middle of a 6-month adventure in the Philippines (work related). We decided to take a few days and take the kids to HKDL in September. We are definitely on a budget, and i'm looking for recommendations for hotels. We dont have any language skills outside of english (dont know if that matters...), and we do plan on at least one day seeing some sites (victoria's peak??). I would appreciate any comments, thoughts, suggestions, etc.. Thanks!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Re: Help with hotel recommendations

The cheapest decent hotel you could probably find is the one at Gold Coast if you don't mind staying 30 mins away from the city (15 mins away from HKDL). As for Hong Kong Island, the hotels in Causeway Bay are really affordable.

I'll post some more info in a couple of hours.

It's better to stay inner city when u go to Hong Kong. Mongkok is the nice place and there are also have some nice hotels.

Duyanh92, why is it better to stay inner city? Cost, attractions, convenience? Thanks to both responders!

parcoast, to save time, and money, you'll want to be as close as everything as possible. However most hotels there are pretty expensive. My experience with cheap 3 star hotels is that they're usually too far from everything else that most of my money was wasted on transportation.

If you don't mind staying in a guest house instead of a hotel, and price is of the utmost consideration, Tai San guest house gives excellent bang for your buck. It's smack in the middle of the Tsim Sha Tsui and is along Nathan road itself. And their guesthouses are right next to the MTR station and about two transfers to Disney.

H.K. TAISAN GUEST HOUSE

Other hotels that are okay, include Guandong which on one of those blocks away from Nathan.

Oh yeah, don't forget to get an Octopus Card at the airport or at any MTR station. The rates are usually cheaper than when purchasing single tickets.

Excellent, thanks for the tips. I think that in the end you are correct that being close is important. We decided to spend a little extra and stay in one of the more expensive hotels close by. Budgets aren't any fun anyway :-) We'll drop by the forums and report on our trip. If anyone is at HKDL this Wednesday or Thursday, say hi to all the American families with 4 kids :-)

Quote Originally Posted by parcoast View Post
    Duyanh92, why is it better to stay inner city? Cost, attractions, convenience? Thanks to both responders!
    U know that Hong Kong is urbanization and not urban sprawl. You don't have much anything to do outside the city beside the Ngong Ping and Disneyland.
    I recommend for u the Stanford Hotel Mongkok, 3 star https://www.stanfordhongkong.com/mk/index.php
    Check their rate and see if their prices are ok for u.
    This hotel near street market, 10-15 minutes walk to MTR (seems quite far but the area will make you feel exciting), really really lot of food and shopping.
    I've been to HK around 1-5 times a year and I usually stay at this hotel. For me, it's not too cheap, I could find the cheaper however in Hong Kong we pay for the location. ^^ any question just ask me...
    p/s: Just a reminder: This is Hong Kong so the hotel rooms below 3 star are quite small to relatively small. Besure when booking, check the square meters. Some hotels or motels are too small that u don't have space for putting to much luggages or even place to sit. So be careful. Don't make these things disturbing your wonderful trip. ^^
    Last edited by Duyanh92; 09-13-2011 at 11:19 AM.