Question Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded- Thoughts?

As a long time KH fan, I tend to not make a final opinion on a game until I have researched it and watched at least a walkthrough of it. But, this game somehow was different. It wasn't just a spinoff/sequal... it was a filler.
    Now to anime fans, if a series has too many fillers, the fans start to almost hate the series and eventually leave it. Kingdom Hearts is no exception being a JRPG and all. But the newest installment seems to not even fit with the timeline or even the series itself!
    *Sigh* I don't mean to bash this game. (nah, my subconscious probably does) I'm just a diehard fan who wishes for their favorite series to make some progress (or have an ending). So, I'm looking for a second opinion. What do YOU think about the newest Kingdom Hearts game?

• Sock Puppet

Re: Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded- Thoughts?

Well, for one, it was MUCH better than I thought it would be.

Unfortunately, my expectations were resting at rock bottom.

As you said, it was a filler. But it did its job well. Besides, I would rather have the game than not have it at all (a filler DS game vs. a game only released in Japan).
    I guess I'll go finish the game now before I say anything more. lol

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Gotta say the idea COULD have worked if they did more like have characters be "changed" by the programing and make say the World's all messed up because of Virus's and maybe even make Bosses even modified and be crazy and different instead of really just remaking the first game with a few tweaks.

• Banned User

I haven't played the game or even know what it's about, but I see what you mean, Lunarous. I'm kinda getting tired of all these fillers! I can't even play all of them! (I don't have a PSP so haven't played birth by sleep and I got bored with 358/2 so stopped playing, right at the end LOL). All these backstories are good and all, but I want to see the story progress some more! COME ON! BRING US KH3, we've been waiting for A LOOOONG time and KH2 didn't live up to the hype so make it REALLLLY GOOD and on the PS3! Please don't make an XBox or Wii version, stay to the original game system!

• Munchings & Crunchings

I've decided to skip out on Re:Coded. Because it's just so much filler that doesn't really advance the plot by a lot. Basically, it's a huge setup for a minor event to kick off Kingdom Hearts 3D. So, even though there's some new combat and platforming, I just don't want to have so little story to go through. That's the one thing I loved about Birth By Sleep, it was all new stuff. Sure, not advancing Sora or Riku's story, but explaining more history and a giant setup for Kingdom Hearts 3, and the final showdown. Re:Coded seems like a blip on the radar and not even as much story as 358/2 Days had. So, I've watched the cutscenes and I'll just skip out on this game. I love the series, but even this is a stretch for me. Unless it's in the bargain bin a few years from now...then I'll pick it up.

I'm tired of going through the same Disney worlds over and over. I was really excited to see that KH3D has a Hunchback of Notre Dame level! It makes me curious what other new worlds there will be. They are starting to do the more obscure ones, which is GREAT!

• Banned User

Hold the freaking Phone! We're finnally getting a KH3(D)?!!??! What system? Only in 3D or regular 2D as well? Any more info? Links would be much appreciated!!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Hold the freaking Phone! We're finnally getting a KH3(D)?!!??! What system? Only in 3D or regular 2D as well? Any more info? Links would be much appreciated!!

no, no, no. xD Don't get too excited. We have another few years of fillers ahead of us xD

Kingodm Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance will be for the new 3DS system. It's basically another filler with about the same level of importance that Days had.

Sora and Riku go take the Mark of Mastery exam, but are somehow back in the Kingdom Hearts timeline before the island was eaten.

There's more special moves to showcase the additional dimension.

For some reason a bunch of Soras rain down from the sky.

They go to the world of Hunchback and many other unused Disney worlds. (thank goodness!)

Then they fight the two different forms of Xehanort! YAAAAAY.

(Sources = whatever articles showed up on kh2.co.uk x3)

On another note, I'm finding Coded to be much more entertaining than Days was. Happiness!

• Banned User

Oh.... That sucks. It's just ANOTHER game I can't play! Why does Nomura feel the need to release all fillers for portable systems(and different ones too!) when they should just release it on the same system! It's not fair to the fans. ALL KH Fans started with the PS2 and they should continue with the same company instead of being random and making fans PAY huge amounts to play their games. I seriously have no interest in owning a 3DS, but now in order to know more about the story I'm forced to buy one?!?! Not me sir. Like I said, it's not fair to the fans! I wish there was a rental place to rent consoles/ portable systems.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Oh.... That sucks. It's just ANOTHER game I can't play! Why does Nomura feel the need to release all fillers for portable systems(and different ones too!) when they should just release it on the same system! It's not fair to the fans. ALL KH Fans started with the PS2 and they should continue with the same company instead of being random and making fans PAY huge amounts to play their games. I seriously have no interest in owning a 3DS, but now in order to know more about the story I'm forced to buy one?!?! Not me sir. Like I said, it's not fair to the fans! I wish there was a rental place to rent consoles/ portable systems.
    Agreed, that's one of the reasons that made me forced to buy 358/2 Days for DS (the other buying the DSi for the Camera.)

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I think they made a Manga of the game and it was "free" online so I mean you could just read the manga or Wiki for it which may not be as good but better than having to pay 300 for the 3DS and another 30-40 for the game.

• Koubu Pilot

Funny use of words here. If you didn't know, RE Coded was actually a cell phone game ported to the DS. I've never played the game, but I doubt any improvements came to the game for it's DS port. The images I've seen for both versions look alike.

For what it's worth, Japan pretty much releases a KH game, then comes the Final Mix sometime after the American release. Last time I checked Play Asia, there was already a Birth By Sleep Final Mix. I own KH2Final Mix+ and that one does have new scenes and a battle against Roxas. It also included RE Chain of Memories (so I had that at least a year ahead of RECOM's American release). So at least we don't have to be subjected to the idea of buying an enhanced game after the original release.

• Banned User

Ok, I know this against what I said, but I just had to do it! I went ahead and invested on a PSP and Birth by Sleep, actually I found a great deal on the bundle pack they used to sell when it came out for $200 bucks(most ppl on ebay are selling them for around $300)! Not bad for a PSP, game, memory card and even 50 free music downloads. I figured I might use the PSP more cause I wanna play Crisis Core, which I also got pretty cheap, used and maybe other Enix games. I'm still even thinking about getting Birth by Sleep Final Mix(anyone know if it's only Jap or does it have an English option?) which will be my first final mix(all the others are region lock and I'm not willing to invest THAT much to get them)! So far, I LOVE the game SOOOO much, definitely exceeding all hype I read online! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the command system! It really changes the game in terms of RPGs. It's actually done right, and I'd say the best live battle system I've seen! This has got me more excited, cause I heard Re: Coded has the same commands system! I'm definitely going to save up for a 3DS and get KH:3D and Re:Coded! Birth by sleep has really given me hope for the future of the games! Can't wait to beat it!

• Koubu Pilot

Ok, I know this against what I said, but I just had to do it! I went ahead and invested on a PSP and Birth by Sleep, actually I found a great deal on the bundle pack they used to sell when it came out for $200 bucks(most ppl on ebay are selling them for around $300)! Not bad for a PSP, game, memory card and even 50 free music downloads. I figured I might use the PSP more cause I wanna play Crisis Core, which I also got pretty cheap, used and maybe other Enix games. I'm still even thinking about getting Birth by Sleep Final Mix(anyone know if it's only Jap or does it have an English option?) which will be my first final mix(all the others are region lock and I'm not willing to invest THAT much to get them)! So far, I LOVE the game SOOOO much, definitely exceeding all hype I read online! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the command system! It really changes the game in terms of RPGs. It's actually done right, and I'd say the best live battle system I've seen! This has got me more excited, cause I heard Re: Coded has the same commands system! I'm definitely going to save up for a 3DS and get KH:3D and Re:Coded! Birth by sleep has really given me hope for the future of the games! Can't wait to beat it!

Final Mixes usually have the American dub, but the text will still be in Japanese. The American release is usually improved from the Japanese original, so the actual game will be the American one. Playing KH2 Final Mix, it was identical to the American KH2, but there were still undubbed scenes that were new to the game. Also, in the World That Never Was, the part where Sora meets Roxas is a battle instead of just a cut scene. There's also a new drive form called Limit and allows Sora to use abilities from the original game (his clothes are palette swapped with his original clothes). Also, while going through Hollow Bastion/Radian Garden, the Gullwings blow a hole in side of the castle where you first enter it, leading to a brand new area known as Cave of Remembrance, where the Heartless have a higher difficulty level and the whole place is like a huge obstacle course. I got the game back in 2007 and it came with RE Chain of Memories, which at the time, was still pretty far from being announced for the US. I'm not sure what features are part of Birth By Sleep Final Mix beyond the US dub.

• Koubu Pilot

This is the description for Birth By Sleep Final Mix:

The Final Mix gives you more challenges and the chance to hear the English voices. The game is based on the upgraded US version, with more boss battles, game modes and even more mini-games. Think you've already become the ultimate Key Blade Master? Think again.

The game contains secret episodes that you can unlock, and in the single player mode, you'll meet the mysterious man, see what secrets he'll reveal about the powerful Kingdom Hearts. Controls and the D-Link are updated, so its easier to use and you can collect stickers on your journey.

There are 9 more missions for you to clear and new challenging bosses in the multi-mode. These bosses aren't just the lord of the world, they could be the world themselves. Now you can battle the whale that swallowed Pinocchio's ship.
    The game has no region protection, so it should work on any PSP even if it's not a Japanese one. Cartridge and handheld systems don't have a region lock, though the cartridge systems used to just alter the shape of the cartridge a little. PSP games rarely have a region lock on them. I myself am awaiting an imported PSP game to arrive in the mail. It's Sakura Taisen 1&2. Enjoy Birth By Sleep Final Mix!