Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Post Kingdom Hearts II Reviews are coming in...

WOW... IGN gave it a 7.6!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IGN.com
    I understand the eagerness of Kingdom Hearts II -- Myself, and many other guys in the office like me, were really excited when the game arrived. Plus, as someone who's played and beaten the original PS2 game in addition to the GBA title a number of times, I was definitely looking forward to the sequel. Unfortunately, once I and some of the others actually started playing through it, it became an obvious letdown.

The reason? The combat is way too simple and while the number of attacks and abilities are plentiful, they're ultimately unfulfilling and boring. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful title with a great story and fantastic presentation, but because of its major combat flaws (and that fact that it turns its back on exploration and most RPG elements), it does the game a great disservice.
    Wow that SUCKS. I'm still going to get the game regardless, but if Kingdom Hearts II is easier than the first one... I'm not going to enjoy it as much. I hoped the worlds would have actually been "worlds" this time instead of rooms, but IGN says some have gotten SMALLER!

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/698/698697p1.html

• white and nerdy

Re: Kingdom Hearts II Reviews are coming in...

I don't agree with that. I think that the new battle system makes for a very interesting and visually apealing treat.

But I guess critics have to be critical about something, right?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• e komo mai

I'm not sure I agree with that 7.6 rating. I've been playing it for most of the day and love it. There are parts that'll blow you away. I like it so far!

• Practically Perfect

Here's my take for what it's worth (I'll try not to give anything away for you all...)

I've been playing it from when I got home (around 4:30) until now (around midnight...) and overall I love it. It takes a while to get past the 'exsposition' at the beginning, and I must admit I was a little shocked when the Title Logo was finally flashed (I was so into it by then anyways). The characters are great and the story is even better so far. Things are falling into place nicely (this from someone who played, but didn't beat the Gameboy version) and there are already some GREAT surprises! For instance,
    Spoiler
    Sora's clothes are SUPPOSED to look small on him as you see later...hence the new outfit...I admit I was distracted by all the leg he was showing! *growl*

I admit the combat is much easier...but I like it and I think it makes sense. Sora and crew WOULD be pretty good at fighting at this point in the story, but yet there's room for growth as you move through the game which is good. I like the fact that I've only died once so far! (it was a cheap shot too!) and I've barley crack the strategy guide to boot!

The music is great (on a side note) and the only complaint I have so far is the replacing of some of the original Final Fantasy voice actors...I don't care if they got the new voice actors from the FF7 movie...I got used to Mandy More and all the others, and now it just seems weird (especailly some flashbacks)...but maybe that's just me. Oh, and yes...Christopher Lee does do a voice in this (I had to look because it was driving me crazy! but that is deffinetly him).

A personal favorite so far is Pete's entrance...that's all I'll say and that whole part was so cool!
    Spoiler
    Master Yen Sid! AHHHH! So cool!

I hope everyone is enjoying this game as much as I am!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am playing the game, and I admit that I am not very good. I am only on the 4th day. I saved, so that I can do the Struggle thing tomorrow.

I don't like the menu, in this game as well as in the first one. It's confusing. I haven't had any problem so far, with any of the battles. I did have a problem earning the money, especially delivering the mail. I just go slow and take my time, eventually I get it.

I am sure that I will get many hours of enjoyment out of the game.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo1384
    I've been playing it from when I got home (around 4:30) until now (around midnight...) and overall I love it. It takes a while to get past the 'exsposition' at the beginning, and I must admit I was a little shocked when the Title Logo was finally flashed (I was so into it by then anyways). The characters are great and the story is even better so far. Things are falling into place nicely (this from someone who played, but didn't beat the Gameboy version) and there are already some GREAT surprises! For instance,
    Spoiler
    Sora's clothes are SUPPOSED to look small on him as you see later...hence the new outfit...I admit I was distracted by all the leg he was showing! *growl*
    IGN gave it a great score for everything BUT gameplay.

I admit the combat is much easier...but I like it and I think it makes sense. Sora and crew WOULD be pretty good at fighting at this point in the story, but yet there's room for growth as you move through the game which is good. I like the fact that I've only died once so far! (it was a cheap shot too!) and I've barley crack the strategy guide to boot!
    I disagree. What makes a game worth playing is the challenge. Otherwise, Kingdom Hearts should have been an animated series or a movie. While many Disney fans may enjoy the easier difficulty, Gamers like myself despise it. For example, IGN stated that while talking to a co-worker, the reviewer turned away and just kept pressing X while having a conversation, when he had finished, he had beaten all the enemies. That's crappy gameplay dynamics my friend. Button mashing is not tolerable.

If this was a true RPG, it's be ok since you're relying on strategy. But KHII doesn't require strategy either. Enemies never really match you're level, thus making fighting them tedious. In the first KH, I hated fighting heartless towards the end because the combat system was so basic. I was bored with it. KHII seems to be more of the same, because even though you have more options, you don't need them.

And what's with these freakin' short levels!!! That sucks!

• e komo mai

I thought the first boss in the Serenity level was pretty hard.

• Practically Perfect

No, I understand not liking button mashing...but what difficulty level are you playing on? If it's too easy already try the highest level maybe?

The short levles are different, but I think you might have to re-visit a lot of them to get more story...who knows, I guess we'll see once we beat it.

This is very much like an animated story, especially the Roxas part, you're watching a LOT of cutscenes, but to me that's okay (and if you press 'start' you can choose to skip them if they bug you).

I love this game already, but if you don't that's cool for you too

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo1384
    No, I understand not liking button mashing...but what difficulty level are you playing on? If it's too easy already try the highest level maybe?
    Even at the highest difficulty setting it's possible to beat entire groups by not using any magic, and not pressing anything more than X.

The short levles are different, but I think you might have to re-visit a lot of them to get more story...who knows, I guess we'll see once we beat it.
    FF and Squaresoft are known for expansive areas. None of which are had "so far" in KHII. Why have some returning worlds gotten smaller?

This is very much like an animated story, especially the Roxas part, you're watching a LOT of cutscenes, but to me that's okay (and if you press 'start' you can choose to skip them if they bug you).
    Another major flaw within videogames. The purpose of a game is to play it, not to watch it. Cutscenes rob you of the experience. It's perfetly capable to tell a story using gameplay.

I love this game already, but if you don't that's cool for you too
    Most Disney fans will love it. There's that Disney bias there for high production values. Graphics are great, and everything is so well done and applied, however, as a gamer KH II is a major letdown in the most crucial part of any game... The Gameplay.

• Huh?

You know, IGN did do some reviews of the Japanese version.... so, why are they just now complaining about the combat?

IGN isn't exactly the most reliable of critics...

Any idea how much more that the US version has than the Japanese? Or when the Ultimate Edition will be released in Japan?
    -Tim

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    You know, IGN did do some reviews of the Japanese version.... so, why are they just now complaining about the combat?

IGN isn't exactly the most reliable of critics...

Any idea how much more that the US version has than the Japanese? Or when the Ultimate Edition will be released in Japan?
    Just like MC, everyone has different opinions. Nearly every other game website has given KHII a 9.0 or higher.

I thought the first Kingdom Hearts was too easy, and KHII is even EASIER. I would have given the game at least an 8 though. Everything else is top notch.

• e komo mai

Do you think the ease of KH2 can be attributed to little kids playing the games? You know, them wanting it not to be so hard for little ones? (With that being said, a dinosaur like me finds some of it hard. )

• On Autopilot

Now first off, I don't go gaa gaa just because of the Disney characters.

If Kingdom Hearts was so easy, why was Sephiroth, Ice Titan (not blocking) and Phantom so hard?

Maleficent Dragon was a pain to beat as well.

In CoM Riku Replica fight five and Larxene fight two were horrifying, these battles required more than just buttom mashing (lest you wanted to have your bum BBQed)

I have yet to play KH2, and I don't give a bean how big the levels are, this is one of the most expected games and everyone who's played it (including a friend of mine who's uber final fantasy and anti disney) thought it was awsome

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Do you think the ease of KH2 can be attributed to little kids playing the games? You know, them wanting it not to be so hard for little ones? (With that being said, a dinosaur like me finds some of it hard. )
    I hope this is the case! My daughter, who is no amateur at PS2 games (she's completed GTA:SA numerous times) got so frustrated at KH1 that I actually had to take it away from her. She was practically crying because she was so frustrated!

That being said, I'm glad to see KH2 is a little easier. I wasn't going to buy it for her because of the previous "incidents", but it might be worth renting to see if she can handle this new version!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    The game's story is WAY too complicated for kids to get it, so I don't think it has to do with that. Also, it's an RPG, and a 50 hour + game dealing with complex character development and multiple meanings. Although, most parents will look at the Disney characters and immediately think it's for kids...

Kingdom Hearts is/was a hybrid game. It married RPG elements with action/adventure and other genres. Some places it succeeded, some places it didn't. But the first one was a shocker. It came out of nowhere, and even though it had flaws, it still managed to work. 4 years later, they should be improving those things...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast