Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

re: Knott's Berry Farm Ephemera

RB
    I was checking out,all picture's from KNOTT's......
    So cool ..........to go back to remebering lane..........
    THANK's
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

And here comes another, postcard I purchased just yesterday...likely from the 1950's.

• Professional Lurker

Got a handful of the old Ghost Town News issues from the company store when I worked there back in 98 and 99. I'll dig around my storage (which will take quite some time) and see if I can find anything worthwhile to add to this thread.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Some old postcards for today:

Re: Knott's Berry Farm Ephemera

RB, wonderful things you have been posting. Thanks so much. I love that Chicken Dinner menu from the 70's and especially enjoy seeing how each ride once had a specific price! I'd love to go to the Park today, bunch of change in pocket, and go around paying for each ride as I go, lol! That idea is really rather quaint, I think.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

This thread has been off the radar for far too long, let me just dust it off here, clear away the cobwebs....

Ah, that's better! I wish I remembered visiting Jungle Island, which I know I did once as a very small child.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

• Functional & Decorative

Oh, I remember Jungle Island! I loved that place as a kid. Those wooden animals were creepy and cool at the same time.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

From a 1960's souvenir guide.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Ghost Town Grill menu from the 60's

Excellent photos RegionsBeyond, those are some real nice shots of Knott's History. One photo in particular made me think of something:

This particular shot of the "Logging Train" inside of Timber Mountain Log Ride. Not many people know this, but this is the prototype locomotive for the six locomotives on the Calico Mine Ride:
    (Photo courtesy of myself, back in 2006)

Just a random tidbit of information. Bud pushed that prototype cab thru the ride to make sure the clearances were all right before getting under way with the other ones. It eventually made its way to TMLR.

I have a stack of Mine Ride photos that I took and have collected over the years, might post them someday.

•   
    • Banned User

A very cool story about Bud Hurlbut, thanks! So I assume that prototpe wasn't a running train then? Just an empty shell for pushing?

Jungle Island?! Where in relation to the rest of the park was that? I'm assuming present day Camp Snoopy or maybe the old Mexico/Western village maybe?

As far as I was told by Bud (RIP) and my Shift Lead, the train was a push-thru, non-powered mock-up. It looks a little spruced (pun intended?) up here, sporting a few things the actual Calico Mine trains do not have (side rods, piston rods, whistle, leafsprings above the drivers) and its saddle-tank is a little different (probably because it was never meant to store a battery inside it like real-working units). But there are a lot of dead give-aways. The pilot truck in the front, ferrules, the smokestack and smokebox are pretty much carbon copies of what you'll see on Trains 1 thru 6. The headlamp, sand and steam dome, brass rails and their locations on the saddletank and smokebox, and bell are identical to what we see today, as well as the back cab which looks identical to Calico Mine Ride #3:

Photo courtesy of myself.

Train 3 is the last train that kept her "domed" style cab like the prototype did. (Fun Fact: Train 3 is "un-brassable" by which I mean, no matter how much brasso you throw on that brass and polish it, it won't shine. Why? Someone thought it a good idea to put SEALANT on the brass one night, only to have the brass oxidize and become dull before all was said and done. Its now in the perpetual state of dull because of this) At one time, Trains 1, 2, and 3 all had domed style cabs. But Trains 1 and 2 both now have a "peaked" style roof similar to a house:

Photo courtesy of myself.

The only things I don't like about this style roof is as you can see, the smokestack is bigger than the cab! (Fun fact, Mine Ride #2 has THE SMALLEST cab of all the trains, anyone over 6' really have troubles fitting in there, but she's a pretty good loco, with good torque and power due to the fact her cab was shrunk) Train #1 isn't as noticeable in the photo above, because her smokestack is a real plain straight-style stack, and her cab roof is a tiny bit higher as well. She also provides great torque.

Sorry for the derail (pun intended?), but just a little history lesson on the Calico Mine Ride
    locomotives. But in terms of Train #0 (what we refer to as the Prototype Cab in Log Ride), I'm pretty confident that Bud and my Lead weren't lying to me when they told me it was the push-thru model that he used to gauge clearances inside the Mine. Hope that survives the refurbishment.

As for Jungle Island, I recall it was across the street, where most of Soak City is now. The only real remains of Jungle Island is that little "river" across the street, before ending Soak City. Someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's where Jungle Island was located.
    Last edited by OneGuy TwoParks; 01-15-2013 at 02:18 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Great information, OneGuyTwoParks! Thank you very much for sharing all that.

And yes, Jungle Island and the Woodimals were across the street where Soak City and Liberty Hall are today. There was also a mini car-ride Bud Hurlbut owned over there I believe. As stated, all that's left of the Jungle today is a small stream and some foliage next to Liberty Hall.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

A few more pieces:

A map from 1970

Park newsletter also from 1970

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    A very cool story about Bud Hurlbut, thanks! So I assume that prototpe wasn't a running train then? Just an empty shell for pushing?

Jungle Island?! Where in relation to the rest of the park was that? I'm assuming present day Camp Snoopy or maybe the old Mexico/Western village maybe?
    Jungle Island (what's left of it) is over across Beach next to Independence Hall. I used to love riding my bike through there.

Regions, let me just echo everyone and say thank you for yet another amazing thread. As much as I love Disneyland and it's history, something about Knott's hits home with me. It's nice to see others here that feel the same way.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast