Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Post Knott's News: WindSeeker to be delayed until Summer due to relocation

Last week, Fishbulb noticed a strange new construction area had popped up in Knott's Berry Farm's Fiesta Village. He called to ask me if I thought they might be relocating the new WindSeeker to this new spot since the original proposed location (the current Sky Cabin) had not yet been touched. Before we could get this idea confirmed, our pal Brady MacDonald at the LA Times posted this story as confirmation.

Knott's Berry Farm has chosen a new location for its 2011 swing tower, pushing back the debut of the $5-million thrill ride to mid-summer while at the same time preserving one of the park's aging landmarks.
    Read the full story:
    Knott's Berry Farm to relocate WindSeeker thrill ride, delaying launch

While the ride may be delayed until July 4th weekend, we are thrilled that Knott's has found a way to add a new attraction without demolishing the landmark Sky Cabin (with its huge neon "K"). The Sky Cabin will reportedly be refurbished and return as an attraction as well.

UPDATED: 1-10-11 (Additional info and images from Knotts)

Knott's just sent us a press release and images. Here's what we learned from it:

Construction has begun for Knott’s Berry Farm’s next
    new attraction, WindSeeker. The location will be in the Knott’s Fiesta Village area
    situated between Knott’s Carousel and the Jaguar! roller coaster.
    “This addition will add another exciting attraction to one of the Park’s most
    historic areas, Fiesta Village, which first opened to the public in 1969,” said Marty
    Keithley, Knott’s General Manager. The attraction is scheduled to open sometime
    between Memorial Day and the 4th of July 2011.

While there is no way in hell you'll get me on the new WindSeeker, I am glad that Knott's has found a way to build something new without removing yet another family friendly attraction. This is a great solution and no doubt saves Knott's a lot of money in dismantling the old Sky Cabin at the same time.

-Dusty
    Last edited by Dustysage; 01-10-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• (Not a) New User

Re: Knott's News: WindSeeker to be delayed until Summer due to relocation

Cool! I've seen the plans and art for the WindSeeker (never goin on that), but I've never been on the Sky Cabin. What kind of ride was(and will be) it?

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• Circle of Ancients

Hmmm, something fishy here (pun intended).

Even with a change in location, they can't get a tower/swing ride constructed in 5 months?

• "I Break Things"

My knee jerk reaction would be to ask "why"? I've always enjoyed the giant "K" but I question the cost associated with that view. In its current neutered form the tower is only home to the Sky Cabin, and few people bother going on it. I've been on it... complete with scary seats and windows so scratched and yellow that you can hardly tell if it is rain, smog, snow, or clear skies in the surrounding Buena Park. Even if they dress it up... there isn't any interest in JUST the Sky Cabin. It is one of the few times I would quickly say tear it down... build the WindSeeker... add in a Sky Cabin on that tower if possible... and toss the old K at the top of THAT.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Knott's just sent us a press release and images. Here's what we learned from it:

Construction has begun for Knott’s Berry Farm’s next new attraction, WindSeeker. The location will be in the Knott’s Fiesta Village area situated between Knott’s Carousel and the Jaguar! roller coaster. “This addition will add another exciting attraction to one of the Park’s most historic areas, Fiesta Village, which first opened to the public in 1969,” said Marty Keithley, Knott’s General Manager. The attraction is scheduled to open sometime between Memorial Day and the 4th of July 2011.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Functional & Decorative

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Hmmm, something fishy here (pun intended).

Even with a change in location, they can't get a tower/swing ride constructed in 5 months?
    As I understand it, one of the supports for Silver Bullet needs to be moved. That'll add some time.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

the sky tower is a waste of energy and space as i never plan to go on it again after being on it a few times.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

surprised there was room in fiesta village to put the ride there.
    seems most of the park is running out of room in that area .. unless they take out the small eating area..

plus...how will this fit in the theme of the area?

• Decor Extraordinare

^Has Knott's ever really been devoted to keeping theme in themed areas aside from Ghost Town and the neighboring "wild west"? I keep thinking of Silver Bullet and how it's supports traipse right through the Pow Wow circle stage. Or "La Revolucion" - really? I think as long as they paint the new WindSeeker in festive fiesta colors [orange, yellow, red, green - much like what they have in the concept art above], it'll be fine.

I do agree, however, that the Sky Cabin should go. And since it isn't, it is due for an upgrade...or at least a decent cleaning
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    --------------------------------------------------

• Infinitized!

Bring back the parachute drop!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Kablary View Post
    ^Has Knott's ever really been devoted to keeping theme in themed areas aside from Ghost Town and the neighboring "wild west"? I keep thinking of Silver Bullet and how it's supports traipse right through the Pow Wow circle stage. Or "La Revolucion" - really? I think as long as they paint the new WindSeeker in festive fiesta colors [orange, yellow, red, green - much like what they have in the concept art above], it'll be fine.

I do agree, however, that the Sky Cabin should go. And since it isn't, it is due for an upgrade...or at least a decent cleaning
    The last time Knott's really cared about theme was when they put in Ghostrider (which they took great pains at the time to match to Ghost Town. After that everything went downhill pretty quickly.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Batman with a Gun

Bel Air, California, United States, United States

I still hate the 'new' paint job on Jaguar.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

It'd be nice if that giant neon "K" they're referring still lit up at night. That's one thing I always remembered as a kid when my parents and I would drive down the 91. You could always see it. They should take a few hundred bucks and fix that thing up so at least it still has a little bit of nostalgia.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Parking Lot > DCA

I lived literally a street over from Knott's. Going there frequently as a child, and well into my teens I remember the Prachute Drop (did they have seatbelts or no? I recall them not having any), and how terrifying that was. The Windseeker looks like that but 10 fold.

Having been on the Sky Cabin many times, it would be sad to see it go. The state it is in right now is just terrible though. I feel like after Cedar Fair bought the park from the Knott family it just went downhill. It lost it's "family owned fun" vibe it had and got a crappy carnival vibe. Anyone else feel the same way?

• Functional & Decorative

^The parachutes had no seatbelt. You didn't even sit down, you were standing in sort of a little cage (with no top)! Which is what made it especially unique to me. Have there been other parachute drops that were standing? I'm not aware of any.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast