Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Citizen of EPCOT

Re: Knott's Touring Plans

Wow, Eric, I'm getting more and more enthused about my trip to the farm. I definitely remember all three of those attractions. I actually enjoy learning on my vacations, so these have definitely stayed in my mind.

It's funny, but while I enjoy my annual trip to Disneyland, I haven't felt giddy in the same way as I'm starting to with Knott's. I think that seeing the sepia toned photo of my son in the handcar ride and on the lake cruise brought the memories flooding back. I'm even glad that Rocko the Triceratops is still hiding in Camp Snoopy.

Quick question - I found the location of the Dreger Clock, now near I-5 and the Chamber of Commerce. I heard that there was a statue somwhere on Beach Boulevard of the Little Devil from the Volcano. Any direction you can give me on that?

Of course, I will spend some quality time in Indendence Hall; wouldn't want to miss it. I never got to go to EPCOT Center in its heyday, so this was my American Adventure.

Cheers,

Geren

Are you referring to the Huff N' Puff handcar ride in Camp Snoopy? That low-tech charmer is thankfully still in Camp Snoopy to this day. My baby brother was photographed in it decades ago and recently recreated the photo for my mom by squeezing into one of those kiddie cars. It brought a tear to her eye. Beyond the Huff N' Puff though, Camp Snoopy has changed quite a bit so be prepared to discover that not only is the Cordelia K cruise boat gone, so is the lake she sailed on.

I'm glad you found the Dregger Clock. As you know, it stands just a few feet off Beach Boulevard, in the garden beside the Chamber of Commerce and the Buena Park Historical Society. You won't miss it.
    Buena Park Historical Society

As for that famous little devil, I haven't heard anything about a tribute sculpture. The original is lost, sad to say; he disappeared during the construction of Ghost Rider. A devil tribute statue on Beach? Whatever you've heard, I want to know. I can imagine something like a spray-art homage, a la Banksy or something. In fact, not that I've got such a graffiti/renegade-style image in my head, I really want to see that happen!

Believe it or not, the multi-stereo-track recreating the signing of the Declaration of Independence is still played at Independence Hall. Even the glowing quills are still there. Just ask the nearby gift shop attendant to push the show's start button so you can see it for yourself, still the same as it was in 1966.

You are going to have a blast,
    Eric

• Citizen of EPCOT

Yeah, Huff ‘n Puff! I event toyed with finding a cheap used model of that ride from Sellner Manufacturing (http://www.whirlin.com/kiddie_rides.html) and petitioning our community to put one in the local park! Love the story about your brother, thanks for sharing that very special moment. I’ll have to dig out some more of those old photos and share them here.

It’s refreshing to still have Knott’s as a place that is not apologetic for its past, politically correct or not. I’ll definitely make sure to watch the show, and I remember that from years back, too. Glad to hear they did not guild the lily and update the attraction with interactive video screens!

I agree that an artistic urban tribute to our little red devil friend would be something nice to add somewhere on the Knott’s property, or even Buena Park in general. Truthfully, it would be wonderful to at least have the little fellah around, hiding somewhere in Calico.

I’m driving myself crazy trying to find where I read the note about a tiny red devil statue, so maybe I’m just losing my head. I’ll keep an eye out and post as soon as I find anything. I swear I read that, or at least misinterpreted it somewhere.

Thanks,

Geren

• Citizen of EPCOT

Ok, folks, so I've organized a list of attractions I want to hit on April 17th. The coasters are set up in the order I perceive they need to be ridden due to crowds based on guidebook and internet research. The rest of the attractions are by preference, in case I run out of time. Oh, and I don't do flat rides-even high quality ones, so no need to suggest those. What I'd give for an unofficial guide touring plan right about now! I'm glad to solicit any feedback that you wish to offer.

Suspend your Dis-Belief,

Geren

Coasters (Ride order by popularity):
    GhostRider
    Silver Bullet
    Xcelerator
    Boomerang
    Pony Express
    Jaguar!
    Montezooma’s Revenge
    Sierra Sidewinder

Family Rides (Preference):
    Calico Mine Ride
    Butterfield Stagecoach
    Calico Railroad
    Sky Cabin
    Grand Sierra Railroad
    High Sierra Ferris Wheel

Water Rides (Preference):
    Timber Mountain Log Ride
    Bigfoot Rapids
    Perilous Plunge

Shows (Preference):
    Mystery Lodge
    Knott's Fool's Gold Stunt Show
    Calico Saloon

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by gpiltz View Post
    Ok, folks, so I've organized a list of attractions I want to hit on April 17th. The coasters are set up in the order I perceive they need to be ridden due to crowds based on guidebook and internet research. The rest of the attractions are by preference, in case I run out of time. Oh, and I don't do flat rides-even high quality ones, so no need to suggest those. What I'd give for an unofficial guide touring plan right about now! I'm glad to solicit any feedback that you wish to offer.

Suspend your Dis-Belief,

Geren

Coasters (Ride order by popularity):
    GhostRider - Good but rough
    Silver Bullet - Good ride
    Xcelerator - Great thrills
    Boomerang - meh, average
    Pony Express - pretty bad ride
    Jaguar! - boring, boring
    Montezooma’s Revenge - still a good ride
    Sierra Sidewinder - worth going on, get busy later

Family Rides (Preference):
    Calico Mine Ride - 100% must
    Butterfield Stagecoach - Wonderful ride
    Calico Railroad - another winner
    Sky Cabin - great for a view, that's it
    Grand Sierra Railroad - cute ride
    High Sierra Ferris Wheel - only if you like ferris wheels

Water Rides (Preference):
    Timber Mountain Log Ride - 100% must
    Bigfoot Rapids - if you don't mind getting wet, fun ride
    Perilous Plunge - SOAKED, be prepared

Shows (Preference):
    Mystery Lodge - Love this one, shows alomst every hours
    Knott's Fool's Gold Stunt Show - another must, get there ealry and sit in the middle if possible
    Calico Saloon - fun atmosphere
    My thoughts in the quote after each ride.

• Citizen of EPCOT

Thanks Aashee, I value your thoughts! I can probably skip the Ferris Wheel, but I left it on since I recall going on it when my son was tiny. Plus, aside from the sky cabin, it's a rare chance to gaze out across Orange County in a slow-moving vehicle. The ends of each list are there in case of need them, but for no other reason than that. You can tell I'm a Disney fan, as I get the coasters out of the way, then hit the themed attractions next.

I'm also open to any insight on ride order, should it differ from above. I would not normally go on Spring break, but it's my only window to get to Knott's until December.

• Ok time for cocoa

I would start at Ghost Rider, then Silver Bullet, Pony Express. Then march through Camp Snoopy to Zoom and Jaguar, possible stopping for the Grand Sierra and Ferris Wheel. From Jaguar I would go up the midway to Xcelluator and Boom, past Supreme Scream. From there, thur Ghost town, with possible stops a Log ride, Mine Ride, Calico Railroad and stage coach. Then on to Pony Express, and Big Foot.

There is but a small possibility that Sky Cabin and Perilous Plunge will be open.

They started digging up the front entrance plaza today. Power for the new ride is coming from some where by Ghost Rider. If you end up coming in the Western entrance just reverse the order and start with Pony express as it is just in side that entrance.

You can expect this to take most of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

• Citizen of EPCOT

Super, Rick, thank you. It makes sense to me that I would want to address rides in the area geared toward younger folks earlier than later. That Western entrance is news to me, so I'll seriously consider that, too. I did get a cheap room at Knott's Resort Hotel, so I'll likely stick with the main entrance and follow your suggested plan. As long as I get on the classic Bud Hurlbut rides, I'll be satisfied. THe park is open 10 to 10, so if I'm rearing to go at rope drop, and hustle, I will hammer out as much as I can, then relax and enjoy the details. Theme park touring is not for the faint of heart! Now, if only I could speed up the month to make my visit closer. Cheers.

• Circle of Ancients

I would suggest riding Sierra Sidewinder pretty early in the day ... it has a low capacity and it does get crowded.

This is how I would do your day, trying not to go in circles too much.

Ghostrider
    Sierra Sidewinder
    Silver Bullet
    Xcelerator
    Boomerang
    Log Ride/Mine Train
    Pony Express
    BigFoot Rapids
    Lunch
    Camp Snoopy Stuff
    Montezooma's Revenge
    Jaguar
    Stagecoach
    Train
    Tour Ghost Town

Repeat what you want to

• Citizen of EPCOT

Now I've got some thinking to do! Well, I know for sure that I'll be doing Ghostrider first. Considering the layout of the park, eliminating backtracking is crucial. Any idea if there is much of a major rush to Xcelerator?

• Circle of Ancients

You should be good at Xcelerator for about 30-45 minutes (also considering it doesn't always open with the park).

Knott's suffers from "Front to Back" syndrome meaning that the rides in the front will get pretty long lines early (Ghostrider, Sierra Sidewinder, Silver Bullet) while those in the back will take awhile to get longer lines.

If you can get on Ghostrider/Sierra Sidewinder/Silver Bullet within the first 30-45 minutes of the park being open you will be set.

• Citizen of EPCOT

That sounds great to me. I can't wait! Now, back to food suggestions...

No Supreme Scream for you?

I understand flat rides aren't your thing, but do pop over to the carousel just to take a look at it. An old fashioned Dentzel is a beautiful thing.

Food-wise, you'll have to exit the park and go for the Chicken Dinner Restaurant at some point. The original dinner is so good and filling. I order my fried chicken with rhubarb in order to get the full geek experience. And the biscuits are sooooo good too.

Enjoy the boysenberry baked goods, but I still lean towards the park's chocolate chip cookies made every day by their own California Marketplace bakery.

• Citizen of EPCOT

Ok, you talked me into Supreme Scream! With Maliboomer gone, and this being a better ride in my humble opinion, I think I’ll add it to the plan. I’m still toying with the idea of Rip Tide, as well, since it is a unique attraction with a clever water element. Anyone have any experience with this ride? I know the significance of that Carousel, so even if I don’t ride, I’ll take some time to admire.

I’ll be lining up for a very early dinner, probably around 4, on Saturday night, April 16th, so hopefully that will ease my way in, though I am sure it is always crowded. Of course I’m going for the Rhubarb, and nothing goes better with that chicken. I am, of course, a fan of pie in general, much more than cake, and the Cordelia’s boysenberry is the tops. The cookies would be new to me, and I’ll add them to my list. It’s a good thing, I’m going to be criss-crossing the park all day on Sunday!

As an actor myself, I’m always a fan of streetmosphere. My past visits to Knott’s were filled with strolling cowboys and saloon girls and impromptu musical performances on porches. Has Cedar Fair kept most of that ambience intact?

• Circle of Ancients

The flat rides at Knott's (other than La Revolucion) don't really get long rides and can be done pretty much anytime during the day.

I would just ride Supreme Scream when you go back to ride Xcelerator.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast