Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Candlelight Caroler

Knott's Touring Plans

Hi MiceChat Colleagues,

Iím writing to ask for recommendations on touring another Southern California theme park (gasp!). I tend to follow the Unofficial Guideís touring plans to the letter while at Disneyland. Since Iíll be at Knottís Berry Farm during Orange County schools spring break, I thought it would be wise to make a similar plan.

Iíd appreciate any recommendations (Yes, I will be arriving before the park opens!) you can offer as to possible plans of attack for this lovely little park.

Thank you and Suspend Your Dis-Belief,

Geren

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Knott's Touring Plans

Hmmm,

Depends on if you are going on a weekday and what rides you like. I prefer the nostalgic part of the park, not the roller coasters. If you like the coasters, do those right away. Log ride is good to ride in the first 2 hours and it's right next to the calico mine train. I really like the Stunt Show and the kids area is worth a walk through, but not much to do if you don't have kids. I'd see a show in the Charles Schultz theater if there's one going.

Have fun!!

• Candlelight Caroler

Thanks Aashee, that's great advice, and a good place to get started. I think I will start in the back with the big coasters, then work my way toward Calico. I'm still solidifiying whether my one day at the park will be a Sunday or a Monday. Being a Disneylander at heart, I definitely want to take some time to enjoy the history and themeing. I have to admit, the last time I was at Knott's, Kingdom of the Dinosaurs was still around. I do miss that, and Bear-y Tales!

Geren

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Oh good, a fellow old school Knott's fan! To be honest, 2 days probably isn't needed. Make sure you spend at least an hour in Ghost town. A lot of the coasters aren't even worth it like Boomerang and Pony express.

• Candlelight Caroler

Plus, if I really want a coaster fix, I do live just up in Santa Barbara, and Magic Mountain is only an hour away. I just thought it would be fun to drive down, stay overnight, hit Knott's early and spend the day soaking it in for a change of pace. I love Disneyland, but I could use a break and a solo day at Knott's sounds fun. My close proximity is why the specific day is up in the air.

Any recommended foods? I may have to have some of the new-fangeled berry punch, but will avoid the chocolate bacon funnel cake!

Geren

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Only drink the Boysenberry punch, that's a rule. The one food I really like in the park is a fry stand by Montezoomas & Supreme Scream that has garlic fries and blue cheese fries. It's damn good. Of course I always make it to Mrs. Knott's chicken house for dinner, that's great eats. They also opened a Pink's hot dogs outside of the park that is good for lunch.

• Candlelight Caroler

Yum, sounds tasty. Yeah, the restaurant is definitely a tradition, and it always suprises me how good it actually is. I recall reading about the "berry" concentrate versus boysenberry punch, so I'll be cautious of that. Garlic or Blue Cheese fries do sound awfully tempting, so I'll put them on my list.

How does Mystery Lodge hold up after all these years?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I still really like mystery lodge. It now plays every hour, not continuously so plan accordingly. If nothing else it's a cool room where you can sit down for 20 minutes....Win/win!

• Candlelight Caroler

Sounds good to me. Hey, I appreciate your kind advice. I have to head off to a meeting now (work, sheesh. MiceChat is much more productive!), but thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread. Let me know if you can think of any other not-to-miss treasures that have come to be in the last 15 years or so.

Cheers,

Geren

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

You got it pal.....take it easy.

• Ok time for cocoa

Go Sunday, on Monday the back half opens an hour later.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

• Candlelight Caroler

Thanks, Rick. That's great advice, and I never would have thought of it otherwise.

All great advice. I too enjoy the old-timey Knott's attractions and will recommend Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant to anybody ó the chicken is incredible!

The place is in bloom so enjoy the desert flowers and wisteria vines in Ghost Town.
    Say hi to Sad Eye Joe!
    Don't forget the peek-ins and Boot Hill too.

Ride-wise, I suggest the Happy Sombreros. It was one of the last rides Bud Hurlbut added to the park and it will spin you into a tizzy. Those gears are lose and ready to whirl!
    Don't forget the stage coach, train, a show at the Calico Saloon, and maybe you'll be there in time for an ice show at the Charles Shulz Theatre.

Have fun!

• Candlelight Caroler

Thanks, Eric! How cool to have you respond to my posting. You're the real deal sir, but I knew that after I picked up a copy of Your and Chris' book, which I have savored! I'm looking forward to taking some time to really soak it all in. I was glad to see such great coverage of the book signing event, so I feel like I was there!

I'll drink a glass of boysenberry punch and have a slice of pie in your honor.

Warmly,

Geren

Thanks Geren! You rock! I'm glad you've got the Knott's Preserved book on hand to help guide your park visit. Take lots of pictures and please do share your trip review with us.

Boysenberry pie (mmmm, nice). If you're outside the park, pop into the Bakery in the California Marketplace. The chocolate chip cookies are fantastic and only cost $1.50. To be quite honest, I sometimes make the drive to Knott's just to walk the park and have those chocolate chip cookies.

I remembered one more thing that may interest you. Before there was a Ghost Town, Walter Knott built a few little amusements and vignettes for the folks waiting to eat at the Chicken Dinner Restaurant. Many of those little are gone, but a few remain tucked behind the Farm Market: the old mill wheel, George Washington's fireplace, and the fern grotto/rock garden. All date to the 1930s and have been encroached by the stores of the California Marketplace, but thankfully they are still there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast