• former CM

Knott's "All Wheels Extreme" is incredible! + Knott's tips

I love Knott's, and this summer's version of "All Wheels Extreme" is my favorite thing (show or ride) in the park. I guess there aren't many jobs riding bikes, scooters, and roller blades; or jumping on trampolines, because they obviously have assembled some extraordinarily talented athletes. New running up walls after bouncing off a trampoline tricks reminded me of Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba show in Orlando that was featured at an Oscars. The two kids I took agreed with me that watching the "All Wheels Extreme" was the best part of our Knott's day. And after the show, kids can talk to all of the performers.

Other Knott's observations:

--Parking was a breeze today. We were sent to an all-day lot located south of the TGIF free-for-3-hours lot, and we only had a scenic two-block walk under the Ghostrider coaster and past Knott's restaurant to get to the park entrance. Convenient!

--We purchased one kid's park entrance ticket outside the park, and Knott's had so many ticket booths open that we were second in line when we arrived at our ticket window. The wait was about 90 seconds. Her ticket was $24.99.

--Disney officially allows one to bring food into their Anaheim parks. Knott's doesn't, but it's easy to sneak food in wrapped in the arm of an old long-sleeve T-shirt at the bottom of my backpack. Note from OP: Miceage does not encourage the breaking of any theme park rules and encourages guests to follow all posted guidelines, even really stupid ones. Knott's also charges more that Disney for many beverages, so I have never purchased a beverage there. Their greed wrt liquids may be costing them here.

--Skip the "Cowboy antics" show in favor of the "Wild West Stunt Show" or the "Calico Saloon Show" (with can-can dancers during the summer). "Cowboy Antics" is mostly unimpressively staged violence alongside some mediocre jokes. The "Wild West Stunt Show" still has some life in it, but avoid sitting in that outdoor theater when it's over 80 degrees unless you're in one of the covered wagons or in the splash area front and center.

--"The Mystery Lodge" show is holding up surprisingly well.

--The Snoopy ice show is pretty good, but not the best Snoopy ice show I've seen at Knott's. (Yeah, I wrote that sentence.)

--A very high % of Knott's employees are friendly and hard working.

--Jaguar is a great coaster to introduce kids to bigger coasters. It's like a training coaster for almost the whole family.

--The old fashioned bumper cars, ferris wheel, DragonSwing, Bigfoot Rapids, the swings ride, and other rides may be off-the-shelf, but they're stlll fun. The teacup-like hat ride can really spin.

--Yes, the Pony Express coaster is too short, but the last two times we went to Knott's, we went to this coaster as our first ride of the day and, with almost no line, they let us ride it three times in a row. It's a cool attraction if you can ride two or three times in a row--and Knott's should let every group go around twice. The Pony Express is also the smoothest coaster around, which I like. (Sorry Ghostrider.) Fun fact: the horses on Pony Express are not really taxidermied (unless the cast member lied to me.) The horses are actually alive and afflicted with "equine catatinic paralysis. "

--I know Disneyland is often crowded because it's so great and so many people love it, but it was nice to have very short waits for rides on a Sunday in July.

--Knott's almost always opens at 10, so I can sleep in a little later and still get there to take advantage of the small morning crowds for a couple of hours. Because I drive to Disneyland, it is harder to be there for the 8am opening.

--The Stagecoach is still very good, as is the train--which is held up by bandits. The old log flume and gold mine rides are classics.

--The many artists around the park (blowing glass, painting, sewing, a black smith, etc.) have been wonderful in explaining their work to my curious daughter.

--I like Pinks and Johnny Rockets, but Knott's could still improve their food. (Update in post below: bad meal at J Rockets's last week. And the wait is usually 20 minutes.)

--My daughter likes talking to Joe in jail each time we visit. I hope this doesn't start a lasting dating preference.

--I saw an employee carrying glasses of cold water to other employees on a tray. It looked really thoughtful and classy, and never happened to me when I worked at Disneyland in the early and mid-80s.

--I've found that Knott's attracts a diverse and nice crowd.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-18-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Re: Knott's "All Wheels Extreme" is incredible! + Knott's tips

I saw an employee carrying glasses of cold water to other employees on a tray. It looked really thoughtful and classy, and never happened to me when I worked at Disneyland in the early and mid-80s.

we do the same thing at USH now. I think its because the park employees are just happy to be working at a time where they need jobs. Or it could just be because that employee is a nice guy/girl.

• former CM

s

Quote Originally Posted by TSTLSOOM View Post
    we do the same thing at USH now. I think its because the park employees are just happy to be working at a time where they need jobs. Or it could just be because that employee is a nice guy/girl.
    I wonder how often this is done on hot days for Disneyland cast members?
    When I first worked at Disneyland in the summer of '83, I don't remember anyone bringing me cold beverages,
    but there were canoe races before the park opened;
    I got to tour the Burbank Studios;
    and when the new Fantasyland opened, there was a cast member party that was really well done.

Now I'm getting really off-track, but it's weird to realize that since Disneyland is about 56 years old, I worked there during the first half of its life. (It was 27 in '83.)

• Functional & Decorative

"Knott's could improve their food"? Seriously? They have some of the better food amongst the local parks, and certainly better than Disney's (I can only think of Sea World having better food). Have you not had their world famous chicken? Or eaten at the Ghost Town Grille? Or had the Boysenberry Punch? Chocolate bacon covered funnel cake? I mean, what more do you want?

Otherwise, I'm glad you enjoyed Knott's. It often gets the short stick on these boards.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• will-o-the-whip

Actually the food at Knott's is rather lacking. The chicken is fine at the restaurant, but horrendous at the park's counter service. A bunch of different customers had to return our orders because the chicken was extremely undercooked and probably a health danger. The corn on the cob from a cart was also very undercooked. They're rushing the preparation to serve the guests which is a dangerous menality to have in the food service business. The side dishes to the chicken lacked much taste. Most of the rest is chain restaurants and fast food such as Panda (which is the absolute worst Chinese food imaginable). Disney's food has gotten much better the past few years, and blows away Knott's in the food department. Mrs. Knott's restaurant and the Grille are fine, but the rest is seriously lacking.

• former CM

My bland chicken sandwich from Knott's Johnny Rockets last week was served on a stale,
    Wonder bread-like bun. So what I had thought was a safe choice is inconsistent.
    I might just leave the free, three-hour parking lot for lunch or dinner and drive to a restaurant,
    then return for three more free hours of parking.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-15-2011 at 02:07 PM.

• Queen of Sarcasm

Re: s

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I wonder how often this is done on hot days for Disneyland cast members?
    When I first worked at Disneyland in the summer of '83, I don't remember anyone bringing me cold beverages,
    but there were canoe races before the park opened;
    I got to tour the Burbank Studios;
    and when the new Fantasyland opened, there was a cast member party that was really well done.

Now I'm getting really off-track, but it's weird to realize that since Disneyland is about 56 years old, I worked there during the first half of its life. (It was 27 in '83.)
    I worked at Autopia during the summer in 05 and 06. When it got scorching hot outside the lead always sent a CM out with a platter of cups of water for the people working the line positions.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    I worked at Autopia during the summer in 05 and 06. When it got scorching hot outside the lead always sent a CM out with a platter of cups of water for the people working the line positions.
    Nice!

Autopia seems like a better ride to work on today than it was in the 80s. (I just started having flashbacks about things like picking up my paychecks in the offices above "America Sings." Hopefully I'll have an interesting Disneyland dream tonight.)

I hope Disneyland and/or Knott's is a great place to work 20-25 years from now. I'd like that to be my fun, pre-retirement job before I collect full Social Security benefits at 72--or ??? if the age is raised.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-22-2011 at 07:55 PM.

• former CM

My daughter and I saw "All Wheels Extreme" again yesterday, and while it was still amazing, the performers seemed just a little less excited than they were a month ago. I think they need a plot, and/or maybe move it indoors (alternate with the ice show--or make them part of an "ice and air" show), and have great lighting or effects. But don't have any costumes that resemble any of the tights in Cirque de Soleil or Cirque de Le Mar.

A plot might be good. The old/classic guy in the audience who turns out to be part of the show gag was fun the first time, but the cast seemed bored by it, or maybe they should take acting lessons. Seriously. Acting lessons. Not kiddng.

Or instead of a plot, make it into an apples an oranges contest with the applause of the audience determining the winners. Best trampoliner (trampolinist?), best air tricks, best bicycle tricks on the ground, etc.

Interview the performers with their faces on big screens. "How old were you when you started? How long did you practice then and how long do you practice now? What was your worst injury?" If we know them better, we'll be even more concerned about their imperiled bones.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-17-2011 at 05:30 PM.