Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16

    • Ok time for cocoa
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: Kingdom of Dinosaurs - A Ride in Ruin

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    sorry if this is an obvious question and everyone already knows it.... but, WHY did they close Kingdom of the Dinosaurs?!?! i loved that ride and have always wondered why the decision was made. was it costs? what was the problem? it's just a waste of space now, it's like they decided "eh, let's kill off.... the dinosaur ride" for no reason....
    It took 6 operators and two mechanics to start and run. Cedar fair could not get it to less than 3 operators and one mechanic. Then a little kid ran down the tunnel and it was all over. Just too expansive to run and fix. And not safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

  2. #17

    • Functional & Decorative
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Eagle Rock, CA
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Kingdom of Dinosaurs - A Ride in Ruin

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiceAuburn View Post
    I worked at Knotts Berry Farm a few years ago and I am fairly sure that the Kingdom of the Dinosaurs ride is now a lasertag area, or the Snoopy on ice rink, I forget.
    Actually, no. The ice rink is a completely separate building, and the Lasertag is on the lower level. KOD is still more or less intact above the Lasertag.

    To be honest, I've never been sure why so many people liked KOD. I though it was so-so, and that Berry Tales was far, far, superior.

    Based on what I've heard, KOD suffered first from people who would get off the ride or make out. I don't believe there were cameras, so it was difficult to supervise. To counter this, they changed it from a continuous load ride to stringing 5 cars together in groups, allowing for various stations to be supervised... but also making load times unbearable. For me, that's when the ride died.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

  3. #18

    • failure for lunch
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    377

    Re: Kingdom of Dinosaurs - A Ride in Ruin

    Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    To counter this, they changed it from a continuous load ride to stringing 5 cars together in groups, allowing for various stations to be supervised... but also making load times unbearable. For me, that's when the ride died.
    I completely agree with this.

    And I simply cannot agree with this constant complaint I hear about how overpriced everything is at Knott's. Depending on
    where you eat, the food is a steal! My girlfriend and I sometimes go to the park to just to eat at Ghost Town Grill. Not only is it
    extremely reasonable, but it's some of the best food I've ever had at a theme park. If you have an hour to kill, wait in line at the Chicken Dinner restaurant out front...I'd love for someone to show me any other place where I can get that much food that tastes that good for $15.00. There's plenty of REALLY good food at this park, you just really have to know where
    to go.

    The shops are much less than you'd expect as well. Granted the mollusk fossil at the Geode shop is going to cost you a
    couple thousand, but for most other things it costs you at least half of what it would at Disneyland.
    Last edited by manifest; 08-09-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

  4. #19

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    orange county
    Posts
    409

    Re: Kingdom of Dinosaurs - A Ride in Ruin

    i never knew they did anything scary for beary tails, hahaha the pantyhose guy was all time. im surprised knotts hasnt put a maze up in the show building for haunt. would be cool if they made it a all year maze

  5. #20

    • ~Ariel Extraordinaire~
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    26

    Re: Kingdom of Dinosaurs - A Ride in Ruin

    Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    Actually, no. The ice rink is a completely separate building, and the Lasertag is on the lower level. KOD is still more or less intact above the Lasertag.
    Ahh they told us to tell people that it was now the ice rink. Probably to get more people to go to that silly show.

    To be honest, I've never been sure why so many people liked KOD. I though it was so-so, and that Berry Tales was far, far, superior..
    Oh lordy, NOT Berry Tales! They randomly decided one day to put those singing bears inside the store I worked in, and they played on repeat ALL DAY. We all begged for an off-switch! Between that and the talking horse, I couldn't even hear what people said to me in that darn place.


  6. #21

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1

    Re: Kingdom of Dinosaurs - A Ride in Ruin

    The problem with Knott's decline is that Cedar Fair does not care. They run too many other parks around the U.S. The people they put in chrage over at Knott's don't really want to take the time to catalog everything that needs rehab because Cedar Fair is only interested in the bottom line.

    Honestly, though, Mrs. Knott chose the right people to sell to. Disney wanted to buy it and demolish the entire thing to build housing. Six Flags wanted to gut the park of all rides and turn it into Magic Mountain Jr. (kinda funny that that is what is happening now).
    Cedar Fair was the only company that came in and told Mrs. Knott that they would keep the park the way it is, while expanding and continuing to add new attractions.

    By the way, I heard all of this from my orientation trainer during the history of Knott's segment when I was first hired to work there 10 or so years ago.

  7. #22

    • failure for lunch
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    377

    Re: Kingdom of Dinosaurs - A Ride in Ruin

    Quote Originally Posted by pwrof3 View Post
    The problem with Knott's decline is that Cedar Fair does not care. They run too many other parks around the U.S. The people they put in chrage over at Knott's don't really want to take the time to catalog everything that needs rehab because Cedar Fair is only interested in the bottom line.

    Honestly, though, Mrs. Knott chose the right people to sell to. Disney wanted to buy it and demolish the entire thing to build housing. Six Flags wanted to gut the park of all rides and turn it into Magic Mountain Jr. (kinda funny that that is what is happening now).
    Cedar Fair was the only company that came in and told Mrs. Knott that they would keep the park the way it is, while expanding and continuing to add new attractions.

    By the way, I heard all of this from my orientation trainer during the history of Knott's segment when I was first hired to work there 10 or so years ago.
    Incorrect. Read the story here:

    You're KNOTT going to believe where "Disney's America" almost got built
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

  8. #23

    • Functional & Decorative
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Eagle Rock, CA
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Kingdom of Dinosaurs - A Ride in Ruin

    Quote Originally Posted by burkesox98 View Post
    i never knew they did anything scary for beary tails, hahaha the pantyhose guy was all time. im surprised knotts hasnt put a maze up in the show building for haunt. would be cool if they made it a all year maze
    Actually, there was one (or two) year(s) the ride was used for the Haunt. It was called "The Dark", and they basically turned off all the lights. As I recall, it was still on continuous load at that point. I also remember it didn't really work... probably due to safety concerns, there were very few monsters. I think the second year they tried to take a comedy(!) approach, and put things like party hats on the dinosaurs, and had a stand up comic in the ride. It didn't really work either, and they've never really done much with it for Haunt since.

    If the ride is in fact down, it would be cool for them to make it a walk through. But I'm also guessing that a lot of work would have to be done to accomplish that, and it may not be worth the expense.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

  9. #24

    • My prices are INSANE!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Space Mountain
    Posts
    861

    Re: Kingdom of Dinosaurs - A Ride in Ruin

    I don't remember either one of these incarnations of this ride and I've been there many times in the late 70's early 80's.

    I do fondly remember the Whacky Soap Box Derby Racers though.

    And thank you for posting the videos. Hard to believe they didn't invest in cameras to watch the guests.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

    Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

  10. #25

    • "CA - CA! RAWRRR!"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    292

    Re: Kingdom of Dinosaurs - A Ride in Ruin

    Even though I'm creeped out by this ride it was one of my favorites and its a shame its not here and at least replaced with anything.
    I totally understand the lack of funds but I hope some kind of miracle will come soon. I currently do not go to Knott's cos of a bad experience I had last time and that it just isn't the same park as it was when I was little and I hope I can go again one day if it gets better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] Ride-Through of Knott's Kingdom of the Dinosaurs
    By RegionsBeyond in forum Knott's Berry Farm and Cedar Fair Parks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2011, 11:08 AM
  2. [Question] Most Repeatable Ride At the Magic Kingdom? At EPCOT? At DAK? At DHS?
    By Ride Warrior in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 10:36 PM
  3. Kingdom of the Dinosaurs-- What's left?
    By mrfantasmic in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM
  4. What's going to replace Kingdom of the dinosaurs?
    By DLcub in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 03:55 PM
  5. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to return to the Magic Kingdom
    By KentB3 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 03:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •