• Minion

End of an era at Cedar Point

With the end of this holiday weekend comes the end of a longtime attraction at Cedar Point amusement park. The Paddlewheel Excursions will be closing for good. It will be sad to see the loss of one of the few attractions that are not either thrill rides or kiddie rides.

Re: End of an era at Cedar Point

awee... Still, they're adding another "family" attraction in its place--Dinosaurs Alive.

An upcharge family attraction that could be found at any number of zoos, not really the best trade-out. Since Dinosaurs Alive! will occupy the island in the center of the park and would not really impact the lagoons in any way, the removal of Paddlewheel is completely needless and unfortunately shows how little the park cares about attractions that aren't thrill rides. It's a sad day to be sure, but not entirely unexpected given the current management.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

is that the mark twain lookalike that goes through camp snoopy by Sierra sidewinder?

Kind of. The original boats looked more like "proper" paddlewheel boats, not unlike the Mark Twain in shape but no where near that quality or scope. The current (now former) boats were more like Jungle Cruise boats with a low canopied roof. When they made the switch many suspected that was to allow the boats to navigate under pedestrian bridges and rides. In theory the new attraction and Paddlewheel could coexist by way of such a bridge but the park is simply choosing not to do that. The ride's path did go by Camp Snoopy and by the Woodstock Express roller coaster.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Never been to Cedar Point but even I am sadden by this as it sounds like one of those little, older elements that so many parks have been discarding quite rapidly.

• Shablagoo!

Aww man. I loved this ride. Nice way to break up the coaster rides and take a break.

• Goofy

cedar point isnt that a classic amusemnt parks?

• Shablagoo!

Cedar Point is an Amusement Park in Sandusky Ohio. I have been there twice and it is my favorite amusement park. While it is famous for its roller coasters, another great thing is Cedar Downs, a racing style carousel. Here is its website www.cedarpoint.com

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Cedar Point is an Amusement Park in Sandusky Ohio. I have been there twice and it is my favorite amusement park. While it is famous for its roller coasters, another great thing is Cedar Downs, a racing style carousel. Here is its website www.cedarpoint.com
    I've also been there twice and love it! I haven't been there in about ten years, but is seemed like a much nicer version of Magic Mountain. The coasters had beautiful views of the great Lake Erie and generally seemed more comfortable. A bunch of enthusiastic kids from Eastern Europe worked there as part of a summer program. And there was an entertaining diving show, that I'm guessing is gone. The park had an interesting museum about its history; it's much older than Disneyland.

If any of you are looking for an alternative to Central Florida, consider driving around Lake Erie for
    "The Great Lake Loop!"

. . . . . . ................. . . . . . . . . . . . . What is "The Great Lake Loop"?.................................................. ...>.

Fly into Cleveland. Check out their impressive art museum & the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Drive to Sandusky (with lunch at White Castle on the way) and visit Cedar Point. Drive around the lake to Stratford, Canada and the biggest Shakespeare Festival in North America. Continue on to one of America's most extraordinary natural wonders, Niagara Falls. Visit the touristy Canadian side of the falls and find out which is currently the best haunted house and report back to us. Drive back to Cleveland, stopping off to eat at White Castle on the way

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .. .. .. . > > . .. .. .. .. ... . . . . . . . Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 09-10-2011 at 11:08 AM.