• Sock Puppet

First Time Visit to Knott's Berry Farm

Hey, I am planning my first ever trip to Knott's and I wanted to ask a few questions before I went, and of course this seemed like a great place to ask questions. So here are a few things I wanted to ask you guys!
    1. If I am super afraid of heights, how intense would Windseeker be other than that, as I am willing to ride it at least once if heights are the only extreme fear factor. Also, how much is it like Silly Symphony Swings at Disney California Adventure, other than when you factor in the heights.
    2. If the most intense ride I have ever been on is California Screamin' at Disney California Adventure, what rides would be reccomended for someone who is not exactly the bravest person when it comes to rollercoasters?
    3. What place in the park, or close by do you reccomend to eat at?
    4. What rides do you highly reccomend?
    Thanks in advance!

• will-o-the-whip

Re: First Time Visit to Knott's Berry Farm

I haven't been on Windseeker so I can't speak of that, but for the coasters if California Screamin' is your absolute threshold, then I'd probably steer clear of Xcelerator, Silver Bullet, and Boomerang. I might advise you to steer clear of Ghostrider as well since it's become quite painful to ride with the roughness and bumps.
    For food I would recommend the Ghost Town Grille and Mrs. Knott's Chicken Restaurant, but not the chicken in the park. When I've tried it from the chicken counter, it was seriously undercooked and the sides were bland. The tacos in Fiesta Village are okay. Personally I find Panda Express inedible. Johnny Rockets is decent, though not special obviously. Unfortunately food is not a Knott's strong point, and when considering its heritage, it should be one of the highlights of the park.
    The rides you must go on are Calico Mine Ride and Timber Mountain. Mystery Lodge is good but showing its age. Bigfoot Rapids are fine if you like rapids rides, which I do. The best part of Knott's is the ambience of Ghost Town. Camp Snoopy is getting run down and very dated. It could be a great park but they need to return to theme, and stop with the coasters, county fair flat rides, and cheap thrills.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan67 View Post
    Hey, I am planning my first ever trip to Knott's and I wanted to ask a few questions before I went, and of course this seemed like a great place to ask questions. So here are a few things I wanted to ask you guys!
    1. If I am super afraid of heights, how intense would Windseeker be other than that, as I am willing to ride it at least once if heights are the only extreme fear factor. Also, how much is it like Silly Symphony Swings at Disney California Adventure, other than when you factor in the heights.
    2. If the most intense ride I have ever been on is California Screamin' at Disney California Adventure, what rides would be reccomended for someone who is not exactly the bravest person when it comes to rollercoasters?
    3. What place in the park, or close by do you reccomend to eat at?
    4. What rides do you highly reccomend?
    Thanks in advance!
    1.Windseeker would not be for the person with an extreme phobia of heights. Its not any different honestly than the other rides like SSS at DCA. Just imagine SSS at over 200 feet.

2. Honestly it doesn't give much option but there are rides more intense then Screamin. A good starter coaster at Knotts would be Jaguar, its a family coaster but its not intense. If you don't like launching coasters then Montezumas Revenge and Xcelerator and Pony Express is not for you. All Thrill Rides like Supreme Scream should be taken in consideration as they vary but you'll have the opportunity to see the thrill rides in action before you decide to ride it.

3. In the Knotts MarketPlace, they have the well known Chicken Dinner Restaurant which I would recommend. If chickens not your thing, then theres a Pinks Hot Dog place and a TGI Fridays in the marketplace.

4. I recommend riding the Mine Ride, Log Ride, Ghost Train and seeing Mystery Lodge.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Senior Minion

If you can handle your phobia of heights then I'd say try Windseeker. The seating is a bit different than Silly Symphony Swings (SSS) in that the two seats are together and do not really swing like SSS, so you can have someone next to you to calm you down ... just like I did. Windseeker also isn't as fast as SSS, but it isn't slow either ... so you do get a good eyeful of what's around you.

As for roller coasters, I'd stick with Jaguar and just go by how you feel with the other ones. I've tried them all and they are fun, but I have to be in an adventurous mood to try some of them again. Heed the advice about skipping Ghost Rider, that ride is ROUGH! It used to be much smoother, but it is REALLY showing its age now.

Finally, in regards to food. If the offerings in the park aren't up your alley there are plenty of places around Knott's that might be ... Claimjumpers and Fatburger aren't too far away from the park entrance.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan67 View Post
    [*]If I am super afraid of heights, how intense would Windseeker be other than that, as I am willing to ride it at least once if heights are the only extreme fear factor. Also, how much is it like Silly Symphony Swings at Disney California Adventure, other than when you factor in the heights.
    If you are willing to deal with the fear of heights (which I also suffer from), you'll enjoy Windseeker. It isn't fast and it's very smooth. Not extreme in the least, except for the height factor Not a think like Silly Symphony Swings. It is much larger and more robust. The seats are on fixed bars not dangling from chains. Silly Symphony Swings is a big more rinky-dink feeling compared to Windseeker which is a much more solid feeling ride.

[*]If the most intense ride I have ever been on is California Screamin' at Disney California Adventure, what rides would be reccomended for someone who is not exactly the bravest person when it comes to rollercoasters?
    For the coasters, Jaguar, Ghost Rider, Pony Express and Sierra Sidewinder are fairly tame though Ghost Rider has become rough in its old age. Xcelerator does not have any loops, but is a high speed launch coaster. I recommend it if you can handle the high speeds. It's fun! The rest of the coasters all loop.

[*]What place in the park, or close by do you recommend to eat at?
    This is your first visit to Knott's, you've really got to try Mrs. Knott's famous chicken dinner! Ghost Town Grill and Spurs Chop House are good, but can't compare to Mrs. Knott's!

[*]What rides do you highly reccomend?
    Aside from coasters, don't miss the Mine Train, Log Ride, Mystery Lodge and Bigfoot Rapids.

Most importantly, take the time to explore Ghost Town. Walk all the streets, look through the windows, visit the quirky shops and get to know the REAL Knott's.

If you've got the time, buy the Knott's History book (written by MiceChatter Eric Lynxwiler and former Disney Imagineer Christopher Merritt): Knott's Preserved it will really help you appreciate the deep history of Knott's Berry Farm.

Enjoy your trip!

Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

I don't know if you've bought your tickets already but I'd suggest waiting until next year's Haunt! Seriously, it's the best time to go and you get to see everything, plus the park in it's form that saves it's life year after year. Well, you don't get to see the Log Ride or Mine Ride in their usual state (but you still get to ride them, nonetheless), nor is Mystery Lodge playing and it'd probably be too cold to do Bigfoot Rapids but you'll get to do all the other rides, and coasters and see Ghost Town as a fog filled nightmare. Go on a weekday, the park is empty and you'll do everything in the park plus see some shows and get to go through all of it's mazes. Didn't sell ya on that? Too far away from now? I understand, I'll just answer your questions.

1. As others have said, I hear Windseeker is actually a really smooth, and relaxing ride. Speed and thrills aren't a problem. Personally, I've never ridden it because that seems like the last ride I would want to be stuck on if it came to that.
    2. Montezuma's Revenge, Jaguar, Pony Express and Sierra Sidewinder (SUCH A FUN RIDE) should be easy for you when it comes to the thrill rides. Xcelerator isn't bad either. Ghost Rider is a lot of fun but the intensity level heightens from the simple fact it feels like your heart will shoot up your throat at any moment from bouncing around so much. If massive amounts of loops aren't your thing, skip Boomerang. There's physically only 3 loops but since it goes backwards also, that's 6 inversions in the time span of probably like 45 seconds.
    3. I love the chicken dinner at Mrs. Knotts. Everything else is horrible and I always forget it every year I go to Haunt. Even the snacks, like churros, are an absolute waste. Not only are they more expensive but they're thinner and colder with barely any cinnamon. I can't tell you to steer away from the food there enough. Either go with the chicken dinner or something you're comfortable with, like Panda Express, Johnny Rockets or TGI Fridays. If you must, there's a Burger King and a McDonalds down the street. There's also a Sonic Drive In about 10 mins away. If the park closes early the day you go, you might wanna look into doing Pirates or Medieval Times since it's a dinner show. Kinda pricey but you can find good coupons for like buy one get one free.
    4. DO NOT miss the Log Ride. I'm a bit bias because I love flumes. The Mine Ride has a certain charm to it too in a similar vein. Don't expect anything anywhere near Disney quality though. These rides look very cheap in comparison and don't have that great of an upkeep when it comes to refurb. The closest to a Disney feel you'll get is from those rides and Jaguar's queue. But I'm sure you're not going to have another Disney experience anyway, right? Other do not miss attractions, in my opinion: Ghost Rider, Sierra Sidewinder... ergh... that's actually kinda it. There's really not that much to do there to rave about. Silver Bullet is a very mediocre and tame coaster for the type of ride it is and everything else is just... bleh, boring or too short. See Mystery Lodge and the Western Stunt Show if they're playing.

• Sock Puppet

Thanks everyone for all the helpful hints and reccomendations for my upcomming trip! From what you guys have said, I think that you just might have talked me into riding on Windseeker as I think that I might be able to overcome my fear for this attraction. Food wise, it appears to be Mrs. Knott's or outside of the park so thanks for helping me on that one! On the rides, though I know it is no way to judge entirely, I have YouTubed quite a few of the reccommended ones, and I think that they are just at my level of intensity! Thanks for all the help everyone!

• "Always On The Move..."

Also for that true bit of Knott's history. Don't forget the stagecoach ride. I was a driver there and it's a fun little bit of history in authentic stagecoaches.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6