• Disney friends are #1

Why MM's Revolution but not KBF's Montezuma's Revenge?

I was under the impression that, due to CalOsha's regulations, that any roller coaster that takes it's passengers upside down must have over the shoulder restraints. This rule has long been cited as the reason MM absolutely ruined Revolution with those pain inducing shoulder restraints. However, upon visiting Knott's Berry Farm, I noticed that Montezuma's Revenge does not have these restraints (thank goodness!). Revolution only has one single loop and they had to install shoulder restraints yet Montezuma's Revenge, while also having one single loop (although you travel through it twice) still does not. How was Montezuma's Revenge able to get around the law (if there is one) when Revolution could not?
    Last edited by Crazee4mm; 12-21-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

Re: Why MM's Revolution but not KBF's Montezuma's Reveng?

There is no such law. Even today, rides with loops are being build without overhead restraints. California will inspect roller coasters to make sure they are safe, and they may be a bit more picky about attractions with inversions. Revolution used to have a lap bar only, however Magic Mountain changed the trains to make them "safer."

• Functional & Decorative

^That's true, but not quite the entire story.

The SFMM management at the time decided to voluntarily add the OTS. Knott's did not. Really, they're not needed... it ran many years without it, and Mindbender at SFOG and Shock Wave at SFOT run without just fine, and have more airtime to boot.

In any case, years later, the current SFMM management would love to remove them. But OSHA law does say that once a safety feature goes on, it cannot be removed. So they're stuck.

There is a rumor that they are looking into a less obtrusive version of OTS, but it hasn't happened yet.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Circle of Ancients

^ What he said

• Functional & Decorative

^Heh, I'm glad I got it all correct.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Disney friends are #1

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I felt like an idiot for asking as I wasn't absolutely sure that there actually was a law mandating OSR's for looping coasters. Too bad there isn't a way for MM to be able to backtrack and remove the restraints as it was obviously overkill, and the operation of the coaster prior to the restraints didn't necessitate their need in the first place. So, if Disney puts over the shoulder restraints on Pinocchio's Daring Adventure, there's no legal way for them to ever remove them? That's crazy. That's government!
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

That notion goes back to the Mindbender accident at Galaxyland. The media drummed into the public's head that the fatalities there could have been prevented if the trains on the ride had been fitted with OSTR's instead of the stock Schwarzkopf lap bars (which was later disproved). There was a lot pressure put on the operations by the insurance underwriters for a while to convert any inverting coaster that had lap bars to OSTR's. But it never was a state mandate.

Jester thanks for that explanation about how once it's done, it can't be removed. I didn't know that! It explains a LOT about Revolution for me now. If they were to purchase brand new trains, would that rule still be in place?
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails