Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: KOD is dead.

Re: KOD is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Having worked in the Mine Ride for Haunt, if you saw some pictures of various scenes (especially the cavern) with the lights on, you would be shocked by the amount of damage and abuse these scenes have taken the past few years.
    Really? I'm interested in this. Can you please go into detail about what happens in the darkness that cannot be seen unless the lights are turned on?

I wouldn't be shocked at all. You can see the damage with the show lights on, too - especially in Timber Mountain
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Wow, you're making want to take up a Summer Job there just to see the place with the lights on. Curiosity killed the cat, and my curiosity will kill my childhood memories.

• 1 man can make a difernce

I would love to see more pix of this!
    Not anxious to die Sir, just anxious to matter.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jediz28

• Missing DLR

Isn't this where the final gun fight took place in Beverly Hills Cop 3?

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by MinneapolisJeff View Post
    Isn't this where the final gun fight took place in Beverly Hills Cop 3?
    That was actually a sound stage set. All of the interior ride scenes were shot on sound stages, while the exterior scenes were shot at Great America in Santa Clara.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    That was actually a sound stage set. All of the interior ride scenes were shot on sound stages, while the exterior scenes were shot at Great America in Santa Clara.
    The Great America park which was owned by Paramount at the time (the Beverly Hills Cop studio), and which, coincidentally, is, I believe, now owned by Cedar Fairs. And don't forget the "Alien Attack" attraction,(actually, Universal Hollywood's Earthquake, with some left over Cylons from the original Gallactica series).

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    The Great America park which was owned by Paramount at the time (the Beverly Hills Cop studio), and which, coincidentally, is, I believe, now owned by Cedar Fairs.
    I was actually working for a Paramount business unit in the Bay Area when BHC3 was being filmed at Great America. Some of my fellow employees got to be background extras during the Eddie Murphy ferris wheel scene. I had a GA season pass at that time, and remember seeing the film's various props, kiddie rides, and ride posters throughout the park that normally weren't there. Most of the fictional ride posters were actually created to cover up the Paramount movie posters (such as Star Trek and Top Gun) that were permanently installed as thematic elements.

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    And don't forget the "Alien Attack" attraction,(actually, Universal Hollywood's Earthquake, with some left over Cylons from the original Gallactica series).
    I forgot about that one segment. That was the only real ride in the film; the others were soundstage movie sets.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Quote Originally Posted by manifest View Post
    I don't think I could disagree with something more than this. Does anybody remember when they took out Beary Tales Theatre and replaced the sets with a bunch of tacky Peanuts character cut outs? It was horrible...and it makes complete sense coming from a coaster-centric company like Cedar Fair who flat out doesn't get dark rides (or walk thru's in this case).
    I have no confidence whatsoever of them doing anything worthwhile in that building using the Peanuts characters. They have too little to work with to fill up too long of a track. Wasn't Kingdom of the Dinosaurs a 8 minute ride??

I do feel that Matt Ouimet can do for Knotts what he did for Disneyland: restore things from the past that were forgotten by prior management and milk the hell out of it....and there were two amazing rides that once occupied that now abandoned building.

I have all the confidence in the world in Matt, but if they do end up just doing a Peanuts ride, or a Shoot'em up ride, then I've officially given up on Knotts Berry Farm...no matter how good their chicken is.
    Are you suggesting what I think you are? Dinosaur Beary-tales? If you are, I'm in!
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• failure for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Are you suggesting what I think you are? Dinosaur Beary-tales? If you are, I'm in!
    Kingdom of the Dinosaurs or Knott's Bear-y Tales is my vote, although I personally would much rather see the latter.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Sock Puppet

Kingdom of the Dinosaurs or Knott's Bear-y Tales is my vote, although I personally would much rather see the latter.
    It has been demanded for a long time, I will take the train to Knott's Bear-y Tales for my vote.

Too bad. Had a ride in my head where the dinosaurs eat the bears and poop out boysenberry jam. Sounded like a winning ride in my head.

For the record, I was being facetious the entire time, lol.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

To add to the discussion here - albeit 3 months from the last post - it is really sad to see KOTD in the state of utter disrepair it is...however I think you're all remembering this ride with rose-colored glasses.

It died for a reason and it really shouldn't ever come back to the farm. It was a joked-about novelty that ran way too long (8 MINUTES?!), too slow, and without anything that made it a charming repeat-ridable attraction. I love darkrides, and I probably would appreciate the ride more now than when I was a kid - but at the time it just felt cheesy and rambly and felt like Knotts was capitalizing on the trend of Dinos - around the same time Jurassic Park came out and USH developed the vertical plunge water ride. I remember the jerky movement of the professor AA (creeped me out), the silly electro-portal effect, the annoying voiceovers, and save for a few scenes, a LOT of static dinos in ill-fitting rooms. A few rooms were pretty cool, but a lot of them were s...l...ooo....www...

I think Knotts is DESPERATE for a darkride, but I don't think that it should be a redux of KOTD - it worked for the time period, but it died for a reason. It seems as though the building is basically done for - and since it hardly holds a Roarin 20s theme anyway, better things could be done with the space.

My master plan would be to raze everything from the bumper cars (NOT INCLUDING THE BUMPER CARS) to the Coasters restaurant (excluding Johnny Rockets) and expand a true 50's Americana theme with a more authentic main drag. The centerpiece would be a gerstlauer eurofighter with a dark-coaster interaction that fits the scale of the park (no more towering perilous plunge) with the theme of an old abandoned car plant, where the ghost of a notorious muscle car resides and taunts visitors (think something like Mystery Mine at Dollywood...) On the outside, the area would not be concrete, but something like the town of Pleasantville (of course, this being Knotts, not as authentic), shifting the old unthemed midway around the log flume to this area. The roundabout hub would be the charleston square fountain.

From there in various crevices in between Xcellerator and the old Plunge spot would be built-up themed flats - bringing back some of the indoor awesomeness that used to be characteristic of Knotts. The area around Xcellerator would receive some TLC as well - mostly in the landscape department. But I digress...

So my point is that key development is being stymied by holding onto the crumbling remains of a Knotts deep in the past. The park does need the room and I think these pictures conclude that this showbuilding is not suitable for any significant development. It's time to let it go and put it out of its misery.

• Ok time for cocoa

Kod was there 10 + years before Jurassic Park and recieved a renaissance from the movie.

It was killed. Kod's only fault was being too expensive to maintain and run. I found it a very repeatable/enjoyable ride.

As for the area, yeap, but don't hold you breath. Kott's is now a amusment park, not a theme park.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234