Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Knott's sad corporate change.......Help to patrons and family or NOT ??!!!

I loved Knott's and I enjoyed it from it's vewry early days pre-rides or paid entrance amusement park times. I saw the changes and had no problem with them. In fact, many of the changes done by the Knott family made sense to making the park a world class place.
    NOT NOW, however.
    For the last 10 years, I would wait till Christmas time and take my family and friends to the park during it's Holiday Santa's Workshop theme days using their fabulous simple Toys for Tot's promotion. Knott's beat every other park in the town with this special deal for families, military and underemployed folks. (Disneyland corp take note!) It was a simple nice offer, bring a unwrapped new toy to the entrance gate and get into the park free for the entire day to enjoy the Christmas workshops for your holiday shopping, food, shows, and family rides. It worked great.
    BUT, then the park was sold off to a mega corp and this deal went terribly bad for the loyal patrons and Toys for Tots folks. The new mega corp 'Toy for Tots' park entrance deal changed dramatically and became complicated and therefore very questionable. Now you had to buy, at the Knott's stores at the park, a new specially priced toy ($20) and you would get only a 20% discount off your normal entrance fee per person. So this new 'deal' was quite different and was a corp money maker for Knott's twice over, in mandated promotional toy sales and an park admission incentive & sales. Hardly, the easy simple and helpful park entrance for families, military and underemployed....
    I have not been to Knott's in over three years because of boycotting their park on this issue. What's you experience or ideas?
    Please keep your responses civil....I'm not bashing, just wish to air this issue.

• Mickey Ear Biter

Re: Knott's sad corporate change.......Help to patrons and family or NOT ??!!!

I miss the old Knott’s but not for the same reasons. I agree Knott's mega management goes downhill with many decisions: most of the workers can't seem to care about life, much less their jobs and every unique ride keeps being demolished for a fairly standard roller coaster, their idea of refurbishment means simply painting over things---maybe in a new color, they keep introducing outside vendors like Johnny Rockets and Panda Express rather than trying offer something unique that only their park offers.

Overall, It seems the only “new” they are interested in is roller coasters that just don't compare Six flags. Other than that, they like to rest on their laurels about what they used to be.

Take the Mrs. Knott's Chicken House, I love it and thankfully that have notc hanged the menu. However the dining room needs refurbishment. It’s old and notin a nostalgic, charming way.

I completely agree with you that Knott’s corporation did wrong by taking profitf rom the toy. They further dug themselves in the proverbial hole by compounding this fact with only a discount on admission rather thanadmission itself. The jump from making no money from TOT (other than off food, souvenirs,and games) to profiting from both the toy and the admission was a horrible move.

It would be upsetting to find this out after years of attending this way.

However, I don't think Knotts’ decision on this was entirely bad. I remember back when I was in HS and people would abuse the TOT system by buying a really cheap toy. Idon't have statistics but it seemed many people did this.

Now I know its charity and beggars can’t be choosers. However, it's sad that adrive to help kids was abused simply to gain cheap admission. The park goers' admission was at the expense of the children (Think of the children!
    )

With the new policy, Knott’s rather than the customer abuses the system.However unlike the customer, Knotts does not take an advantage of the charity receivers,but the park goers. Think about it, by controlling the toy being donated,Knotts allows TOT to get a better haul than bouncy balls, yoyo's, a deck ofcards, a plastic slinky, or any other item scrounged from the dollar bin that could be constituted as a toy.

Now I am not suggesting that is what you did. Just what I saw. I don ‘t remember if Knotts had a minimum in how much the toy was supposed to cost, but then I went I certainly noticed they did not do much to enforce it.

And it was not just young hooligans...many adults with kids. Just because someone has a family, does not make their taking advantage of charity moral. Once again, I am not accusing you of this personally.
    Sometimes we cannot help, but be a little over dramatic...

• Functional & Decorative

I basically agree. Too many people buy a "gift" from the 99 cent store. This way, Knott's has more control over the actual value of the gift. Getting into a theme park for $20 is still quite a bargain, especially if it's a donation to charity at the same time. Provided Knott's is not making money off the promotion and purchasing the toys at cost or at a loss, I don't have a problem with it.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

I never saw or practied the obvious abuse of the TFT deal as you cited. If it happened, I'm sure there are steps for the uniformed Marines stationed at the gate to recieve all the donations to halt the abuse practice, politely. I never saw that either. Now the new scheme is just corporate greed.
    The old TFT program said the new toy had to be worth $10, and now the toy value has to be $20......that's a crime in my book.
    Especially for the economic disadvantaged groups of people mentioned in my first posting.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    (Disneyland corp take note!)
    You seem to be arguing two things. The first seems to be promotions, then second seems to be Toys for Tots.

Regarding promotions, there's a reason Disney Parks have fewer promotions than other parks. They don't need to. The demand is sufficiently high enough for them to keep promotions to a minimum. They do have them, however:

Right now, they have a 2-day promotion for $99, an excellend deal. Also, if you're a college student or member of an educational institution, Disney offers discounted tickets through the institution's student union.

Now regarding Toys for Tots, Disney has a successful TfT program, but it's different than Knotts' program. Every year, DLR has its Cast nights. Toys for Tots collects from CM's that night, and they get quite a good response. They also do something similar at the Burbank Studios, I believe (not sure how). Suffice it to say, Disney's current TfT partnership works very well. It bothers me, frankly, when someone criticizes this program, because my fellow CM's are incredibly generous, and don't ask for recognition for their generosity.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 01-28-2012 at 02:07 PM.

We just went to Knott's on Friday, and got a discount through the canned food drive that they are currently having.

The deal was, if you brought 2 cans, you got like $30 off each normal adult admission price, it was a pretty sweet deal.

We brought a sack full of canned goods, and the woman seemed really surprised that there were only 2 of us for that many cans! but it was or a good cause, so why not? it was the least we could do for that kind of discount.

No real point to this, just thought I'd share

The old TFT program said the new toy had to be worth $10, and now the toy value has to be $20......that's a crime in my book.
    I really don't have a problem with this. Rather than pay the usual $50+ for a regular admission to Knott's, the Toys for Tots deal lets you in for a mere $20. And a quality toy goes to the charity for every $20 ticket purchased? That sounds great to me!

oldtimer, you mentioned in your OP that you had to buy a $20 toy at Knotts and then only get 20% off admission. You actually got free admission with the toy purchase.

I do agree with some others, though, that the value of the toy was not consistent when guests brought their own. I know for one, when I was in my 20's I would grab marginal 9.99 toys at Toys R Us and hope they'd pass for $10 or more in the 90s.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for the folks at TFT) the promotion has become insanely popular, and this past December my park visit was NOT magical in any way. I'm thinking I'd be better off going the route of an annual pass and attending on days where there are no promotions.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Circle of Ancients

I've seen the Toys for Tots toys that people used to bring to SFMM.

Now I know people are going to say that it's SFMM, it's a different clientele, etc. It's NOT.

People would constantly bring 99 cent toys, $2 toys, etc. It was ridiculous.

I have no problem with the new policy. AT ALL.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Now the new scheme is just corporate greed.
    Sounds more like someone is mad they can't get something for free anymore. Sounds like entitlement to me, not greed.

You're not unhappy that toys for tots is getting shafted (they aren't) you're mad YOU aren't getting something for nothing.

Especially for the economic disadvantaged groups of people mentioned in my first posting.
    If the park wants to donate admission to disadvantaged people - they can do that. If they don't want to, they can do that too.

Who are you really upset about having to pay more admission? Ask yourself that honestly.

If it's disadvantaged people.. then go donate to a charity.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

Just gotta love people complaining about donating a toy to underprivileged kids. You do realize that $20 toy is probably all they are going to get right? You do realize $20 to go into a Theme Park is incredibly cheap right?

• C4C6C

If anything, by charging the $20 they were trying to bring a better clientele into the park. When people were bringing the 99cent toys, I stopped going. I was even getting in for free through the police discount (free admission). We brought toys anyways because I am privileged by what I have and it is nice to show my kids how to help those that aren't as fortunate as us.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

I had a Knott's season pass in 2011 and in addition to this promotion, they also offered certain periods of time where civil servants (police, fire, etc.) got in free and another month or so where U.S. military veterans got in free. My dad took advantage of the veterans one with us in November. The OP is off base on this one.

I guess some here can't keep up with this discussion. Oh well. They have a very odd defensive wide opinion that amusement park adminstrative staffs are always right in their decisions for serving the public in a depressed economy and allowing some charity work on their parks. Judgemental harsh adjectives used in your posting views has nothing to to with me, it's only your opinion. Are you that emotional to not separate the two ?? I can. I guess not. Too bad, a shame. To denigate is me personally as the messenger of this historical fact is merely an empty nonsensical non-issue personal attack or smear. *PS....It's hardly ON TOPIC and is just petty & arrogant way some here protect your own egos by trashing my factual comments and personal experiences. Opps, sorry...You now got more judgemental adjectives of your views or actions. Like it? Your views denigating my facts conveniently stops all discussion on important topics. Not very tollerant, american, or supporting diversity of opinions on a discussion forum as this. I'm sorry to bring up such a topic now, But I thought this was a mature forum. Guess not for most. A shame.

• Circle of Ancients

Huh?

I guess some here can't keep up with this discussion. Oh well. They have a very odd defensive wide opinion that amusement park adminstrative staffs are always right in their decisions for serving the public in a depressed economy and allowing some charity work on their parks. Judgemental harsh adjectives used in your posting views has nothing to to with me, it's only your opinion. Are you that emotional to not separate the two ?? I can. I guess not. Too bad, a shame. To denigate is me personally as the messenger of this historical fact is merely an empty nonsensical non-issue personal attack or smear. *PS....It's hardly ON TOPIC and is just petty & arrogant way some here protect your own egos by trashing my factual comments and personal experiences. Opps, sorry...You now got more judgemental adjectives of your views or actions. Like it? Your views denigating my facts conveniently stops all discussion on important topics. Not very tollerant, american, or supporting diversity of opinions on a discussion forum as this. I'm sorry to bring up such a topic now, But I thought this was a mature forum. Guess not for most. A shame.
    Obviously you haven't seen the other threads, or our interview with the new Knott's GM. While we are quick to compliment the park when they do something good, we are also quick (some might say quicker) to criticize.

But this is a non-issue. Just because people disagree with your particular posts doesn't mean we are "trashing your factual comments and personal experiences".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast