• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Knotts and Dinosaur's Alive.

I see a few of the Cedar Fair Parks are starting to add Dinosuar Alive attractions. Which is a welcome change to the countless steel coasters and thrill rides. Surely Knotts Berry Farm should consider adding a version of this attraction to the park. Its a perfect fit in a park which is lacking family rides and attractions at the moment. This is exactly the kind of attraction the park needs to address the balance of rides and offerings. And try and lure the Disneyland tourist away from the Resort for the day. I'm struggling to understand why something like this would not fit in at Knott's which still promotes itself as a family park. I'm also quite suprised Knott's has dropped the ball this year when it comes to opening any kind of new offering at its park seeing all its main rivals are opening up some fantastic new rides this year.

Re: Knotts and Dinosaur's Alive.

Interesting idea. Knotts used to have that old dinosaur Dark ride.

Where would they put this new one? The park is land locked on all 4 sides I believe which is why that one section at the front of the park is so crowded.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

One suggestion is to use the building or create a new building on the existing space once used for "Kingdom of the Dinosaur's. And build or install a new Dinosaur dark ride using the more advance AA from Dinosaurs Alive perhaps. Or how about removing one of the steel rides that take up massive amounts of space from the park. Knotts really does not need the amount of thrill rides it currently has in the park. Even General Manager Raffi Karprelyan mention he feels the Park is in a good place when it comes to coasters. Which I took for wanting to invest more in family rides to address the balance needed. Knotts has claimed its not just a thrill park and that it has family and kid rides. And the recent shift of attitude in upkeep towards the Ghost Town and customer service seems to back this up. Raffi said in a recent Podcast that each Cedar opperated Park needs to be different to appeal to its respected audience. I feel Knotts is wanting to appeal to everyone which makes sense considering the parks history and its location in Buena Park. But in recent times its been labled a thrill park. And its impossible to argue with this at the moment.

Dinosaur's Alive! is an upcharge attraction owned and operated by an outside vendor. It needs a fair amount of space to set up. Similar attractions have been at the San Diego Safari Park in the past. Will Knotts get one, who knows? I do know that they removed one of the few family attractions at Cedar Point to install the one they are getting, in contrast to the installation at Kings Island that was put in a largely underdeveloped section. Frankly I don't know of any area in the Farm large enough to accomadate this attraction at this time, unless they start building back in the warehouse area.

• will-o-the-whip

I've seen Dino Alive once and it's okay but not with much repeatability. It's not a replacement for KoD, not even a pale shadow. CF owned the Star Trek Experience that used to be at the Hilton in Vegas. I'd rather see them take the two rides from there out of mothballs and put it into of their parks. Those were fun and different.

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    I've seen Dino Alive once and it's okay but not with much repeatability. It's not a replacement for KoD, not even a pale shadow. CF owned the Star Trek Experience that used to be at the Hilton in Vegas. I'd rather see them take the two rides from there out of mothballs and put it into of their parks. Those were fun and different.
    Interesting in that some of the parks that are now Cedar Fair properties were once Paramount properties like "King's Dominion" and California's "Great America", and featured Star Trek atmosphere characters, as well as "Top Gun" rides, etc. But as far as the "Star Trek" attractions go, "Borg Invasion" could work, but the original, and far superior "Klingon Encounter" would obviously not work outside of Vegas, and in fact, it wouldn't even work outside of the Vegas Hilton. In fact, it practically didn't work at the Hilton in 2008, it's last year of operation, as that simulator film featured what was by then a dated view of the strip with no Bellagio, Venetian, and Siegfried and a still uninjured Roy appearing at the Mirage. I suppose they could reshoot new background footage for the final battle to reflect the respective CF park where they'd go, but that could prove to be pretty costly. Then, of course, the original KE featured those two characters from "Next Generation" which has been in syndication for years, and who haven't appeared in a movie in a decade, since "Nemesis" came out in 2002, and didn't really do that well at the box office.
    Any new "Star Trek" theme attraction would most certainly have to take it's cue from the J.J. Abrams reboot, with Chris Pine, etc., and/or whomever is willing to participate.

• will-o-the-whip

Klingon Encounter was definitely the better of the two attractions, I'd still love to see it back. Supposedly the new Star Trek theme park and resort being built in Jordan will feature the new Star Trek and cast. While I liked that film, it still doesn't feel like iconic Star Trek to me (one film just isn't enough compared to the oeuvre of the other incarnations). I'd much rather have attractions based on TNG or the original TOS members, or even DS9. It's a damn shame we'll probably never get to experience KE again, it was one of the coolest and most unique theme park attractions out there.