Knotts Galloping Goose going to Goose Fest!

The Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, Colorado is holding a celebration of the unique rail buses known as the Galloping Goose on June 16-17. These vehicles were assembled by the then bankrupt Rio Grande Southern Railroad to cover mail contracts et al at the fraction of the expense of running a full sized train.
    Knotts Berry Farm has in it's collection of antique rail equipment Goose #3. Management has given it's blessing so that it can be reunited with it's surviving sisters for this event (it is coming back). http://coloradorailroadmuseum.org/tr...g-goose-rides/

While Knotts has approved sending #3 to this event, the transportation to and from Buena Park is being footed by the Museum, and they will gratefully accept donations earmarked for helping defray the expense of trucking the #3.

Re: Knotts Galloping Goose going to Goose Fest!

That's a fantastic offer. Knott's rarely runs The Goose over the busy summer period so lending it to a friendly museum for a few months is a fantastic idea -- so long as she comes back to SoCal. I'll miss her while she's gone, but I'm thrilled a new cadre of passengers will enjoy her in the meantime.

It will actually be gone only for the festival, a two day event. Figuring transportation time to and from Golden it will be probably gone little more than a week. As far as not using it in the summer months, it simply doesn't have the capacity. The only time it might be used is when both locomotives go down at the same time, which seldom if ever occurs. The Goose is capable of pulling a freight car or two behind it in a pinch, but not one of the coaches.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    The Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, Colorado is holding a celebration of the unique rail buses known as the Galloping Goose on June 16-17. These vehicles were assembled by the then bankrupt Rio Grande Southern Railroad to cover mail contracts et al at the fraction of the expense of running a full sized train.
    Knotts Berry Farm has in it's collection of antique rail equipment Goose #3. Management has given it's blessing so that it can be reunited with it's surviving sisters for this event (it is coming back). http://coloradorailroadmuseum.org/tr...g-goose-rides/

While Knotts has approved sending #3 to this event, the transportation to and from Buena Park is being footed by the Museum, and they will gratefully accept donations earmarked for helping defray the expense of trucking the #3.
    I think ,that a great Ideal......
    I remeber as a kid going to Knott's..it was on a raindy day........
    I had a ride on the Galloping Goose !
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• insert snarky title here

The Goose is a fave ride of mine. I feel like I won the lottery when I see it on the tracks.

If you'd like to see it more often, here is a hint. During the "off" season the Goose is used during the weekdays, the steam trains on the weekends.