Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

No new attractions for Knotts during Summer 2012

Perhaps this is a sign of poor planning by the previous Management team. But Knotts Berry Farm is the only one out of the main parks or Resorts in Southern California to not have a new attraction opening this Summer.

Disney: Cars Land and Buena Vista Street
    Universal: Transformers
    SeaWorld: Manta
    Six Flags: Drop of Doom
    Legoland: Pirate Reef

Having no new offerings is surely going to have an impact for the attendance at Knotts. Especially if the early reviews of Transformers is anything to go by Knotts better prepare itself for a poor Summer. I don't see many wanting to give up days visiting Disney or Universal to go and visit a park which has nothing new of interest to offer. This is an extraordinary year for Southern California and its themparks and Knotts has really dropped the ball and raised the white flag for this year. I'm sure the future will be great if what General Manager Raffi has already suggested ever makes it to the park. But for the short-term future this Summer I just feel Knotts is in a lot of trouble. It will be interesting to see what sort of discount rates are offered this year once the big attractions start opening at the other parks in the area.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: No new attractions for Knotts during Summer 2012

I think the park is really making a concerted effort to improve the park, and they have been doing a GREAT job.

It may also be an issue of being "overshadowed" because nothing that Knott's could have done this year would have topped an entirely new DCA/New Land and Transformers at Universal.

I honestly don't think it will impact attendance that much.

I'm sure the park is planning something new for next year and they will essentially have the market to themselves (other than whatever SFMM adds next year).

they will be fine, they have cheap annual passes still so it will be something locals can go to to switch up their schedules

• Minion

they got a new ride last year alot of people traveling from out of town haven't gone on it and the summer was almost over by the time it opened.

• Future Indy Castmember

Knotts will be fine. Even with nothing new opening up, people will still go there regardless, especially the locals.

Plus Windseeker (once it reopens from its unexpected refurb) is barely a year old so Knotts does have something that they can still technically advertise as new. Plus they have Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular display in Camp Snoopy so it gives people a reason to stay at night.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Circle of Ancients

Plus this year is Haunt's 40th, that will be their big push this fall.

• "I Break Things"

I question if Knott's is improving, or evolving. Some see the constant drone of new coasters as improvement. Personally I'd rather have a well rounded park instead of a "mini Magic Mountain".
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Personally I think that the era of the steel forest invasion may be over now. The micro management from Sandusky appears to be something from the past finally, with the on sight GM's having more say in what goes on in the park. Large expenditures will still need final approval from corporate, but this CEO wont be putting his initials on ever project in every park.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm thinking it's brilliant on Knotts' part to stand pat this year. You think another average rollercoaster could compare with Carsland or Transformers? Let the other parks spend their hundreds of millions, Knotts can focus on something down the road and improve the other important things in the mean time so they are viewed as a clean and less expensive alternative to the giants.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Knotts will do just fine. There are blockouts on most passes for Disneyland and Universal. Knotts is where the locals will go on those days that those other passes are blocked out.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I'm thinking it's brilliant on Knotts' part to stand pat this year. You think another average rollercoaster could compare with Carsland or Transformers? Let the other parks spend their hundreds of millions, Knotts can focus on something down the road and improve the other important things in the mean time so they are viewed as a clean and less expensive alternative to the giants.
    I agree! Being clean and increasingly appealing with "small" details like gardening, painting, trash removal, having friendly employees, maintaining clean bathrooms, and being an outstanding value will serve the park well. My daughter and I have probably told at least 40 people how much we've enjoyed Knott's over the last year--word of mouth will spread.

Now what should Knott's add when they do add an attraction?
    I'd vote for a Ghost Town themed haunted house. The Silver Bullet has many fans (it has too many spins for my old taste), but I'd like that part of that coaster moved that intrudes most painfully into Ghost Town. It's annoying to me when I'm in the western stunt show's covered wagon theater and the SB loudly, visibly, and frequently thunders by. Moving out part of that ride would free up haunted house space. Ghost Rider could be replaced too, with more of a coaster there out in the parking lot--that would free up some Ghost Town space. Maybe add some GHOSTS to a new Ghost Rider with some indoor special effects.

I'd keep the Sierra Sidewinder, Xcelerator, Jaguar, and the Pony Express--though the PE should always make two trips around its short track. Montezooma's Revenge--I don't care. Please get rid of the Boomerang coaster and replace it with a small park area with shady trees.

I am a "theme guy" as Knott's mostly excellent manager Raffi puts it, and I liked this recent post by manifest (edited):

"Sometimes you gotta hand it to Knott's. It really takes a hard head to not get why playing C+C Music Factory in Ghost Town completely ruins the theme.
    But maybe Raffi knows something I don't know . . . Maybe there's a large demographic out there that says, "Yeah, I really enjoy Panning for Gold, but it would just be so much better if I could do it to Wilson Phillips instead." . . .

I was once accused on a thread of working for Knott's PR department. Why? Just because I post lists of the many things I love at Knott;s like this? Mystery Lodge, boysenberry pie, the Scary Farm event, 4 of the coasters, gifted & hard working stunt men, a delightful Christmas-time atmosphere with some worthwhile Christmas plays in the little Birdcage Theater, a stagecoach ride pulled by strong and (at times) trotting horses, a train that gets robbed by funny bandits, many nice employees, interesting old log and mine car rides, Windseeker, lots of beautiful gardening, can-can dancers in the saloon show in the summer, the extreme wheels show in the summer, some good & some very good Snoopy-on-ice shows, a replica of Independence Hall, a park for free for three-hours lot near the entrance, underpriced Season Passes, and bumper cars designed for fun-loving ten year olds instead of wimpy five year olds riding next to potentially litigious parents.

Last edited by jcruise86; 05-04-2012 at 11:45 AM.

I still think Knott's could generate a lot of buzz by tapping local nostalgia. They'd probably get a bigger bump in attendance by announcing a reworked version of Kingdom of the Dinosaurs or Soapbox Racers than they would from announcing another giant coaster.

I'm not worried. They've done a ton in maintenance and small improvements this year, which is great, and from what I understand they're now working on improving the food inside the park, which had suffered quite a bit. The cheap annual passes will keep the place full all summer, though personally it'll be full of the wrong demographic..but nothing we can do there.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I still think Knott's could generate a lot of buzz by tapping local nostalgia.
    I think the word you're looking for is Knotts-talgia! The park would go far if it looked backward to see where it's been, to see where its roots are. I adore the Knott's of my childhood and can see it coming back to life with the park's most recent changes and upgrades. Rather than a new mega-anything towering over the Buena Park landscape, I'm thrilled that Knott's has spent its money fixing itself up and focusing on infrastructure, kitchens, bathrooms, ground resurfacing, gardens, the Charleston Fountain, and some beautiful park decor! It's made a huge difference and will keep me coming back.

By the way, Knott's in my opinion has always been a park for us locals. The tourists have taken over Disneyland, but Knott's is ours!

• Goofy

it will be just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast